RIP Les Paul 1915-2009

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

RIP Les Paul 1915-2009

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 pm

It just dawned on me that I hadn't seen a thread on this in CAA.

Les Paul, virtuoso jazz musician, the inventor of the electric guitar and many other things, and someone without whom (IMHO) Rock and Roll would never have happened, passed away yesterday at the age of 94.

For those who've never seen his work, I'll cut and paste some youtube links I scrounged earlier for the Megatokyo forum:

This one is a fun example of his innovation.

This one is mostly just because I love Mary Ford's voice... but it also shows how Les could take what was (at that time) a very new technology (incidentally, one he also invented, multi-track recording) and really go to town with it.

Here's an old school dream team for you.

And if you think it's amazing that a guy who's Eighty-two years old can play like this, check him out at Ninety One.

If you wish on that last one that the youtube poster hadn't cut off just as Les is starting into 'Brazil', here he's playing it.

For the big finish, you have got to check out this combo.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Funny story: my co-worker turned on the radio this morning, and I vaguely overheard the radio show hosts talking about "Paul," "died," and "guitar," and I was like "WHAT NO I KNOW HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT PAUL MCCARTNEY!"

Fortunately he wasn't. XD But yeah, how sad!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:48 pm

[SIZE="1"]Les Paul was one of my favorite artists. ;-; It's so saddening to realize that someone with so much talent is gone... *sniffle*

Whoa, waitaminute... Where's all the "Les Paul" T-shirts? R.I.P Les Paul signatures? TV Programs? News Feed? I think if Micheal Jackson's death can get all that and then some, then someone who actually had talent should be remembered. D8<[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby The Liar XIII » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 am

This isn't shocking at all, really. He was 94 years old.. But still, such an important figure in Rock n' Roll.. Sad, really sad.

He'll be missed.

And I definitely agree with Song_of_Storms. Les should get as much attention as Jackson.. Same with every other artist who had died much like Kurt Cobain and Bon Scott.. Sad to see that M.J. got soooooo much TV time once he died, and Les probably had 3 minutes.. Sad..
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:13 am

Yes, he will be missed. Maybe someone should burn one of his guitars in memory.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby The Liar XIII » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 am

rocklobster (post: 1339427) wrote:Yes, he will be missed. Maybe someone should burn one of his guitars in memory.

I know Slash is playing "November Rain" on his original Les Paul at his funeral.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Don't you know that's going to be one of the most amazing crowds of any funeral? Think about how many great guitarists from all the different music genres will want to be there.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Return to Jam Session