Showbread- The Fear of God

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Showbread- The Fear of God

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

Showbread's upcomming album "The Fear of God" has had it's track list announced.

1. I'm Lost
2. Nothing Matters Anymore
3. Lost Connection With The Head
4. Regret Consumes Me
5. Out Of My Mind
6. Vehement
7. The Great Emasculation
8. Shepherd, No Sheep
9. Let There Be Raw
10. I Think I'm Going To See You
11. Precursor
12. The Fear Of God
13. Until We Meet Again

Source.
They have also posted the lyrics for the song, "Nothing Matters Anymore".

This summer has been incredible, musically. It looks like this will be yet another fantastic summer '09 release.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:09 am

I cannot wait for this. Seriously. These lyrics look amazing; I hope they have a song or two up before the release.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kkun » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:20 am

Lol, I'm losing my touch. I was just about to post this. I'm stoked. It's going to be really fantastic.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:41 am

I was about to post this as well. :P

I can't wait, I love the lyrics to Nothing Matters Anymore.
"Who is this?" they said to Me
'That the wind and waves obey
Come, let's hang Him on a tree
That His reign should pass away'
But here I am I say to you
Though you turn away, it is My will
To love you for forevermore
Peace be still, peace be still
-Showbread-the Sky(alpha)
Shiningmonk_e

Postby everdred12a » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm still waiting on them to top No Sir.

everdred12a

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm

asliersfsekegjslegkslefkjdlsdjgdskgjsdglsghkdsfhdskfjdsklfhg.

Stoked. Very very stoked. The lyrics to "Nothing Matters Anymore" are awesome. I cannot, cannot wait for this.

Also I am calling it right now: "Let There Be Raw" is going to be an awesome song. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Also I am calling it right now: "Let There Be Raw" is going to be an awesome song. XDD

Probably. In fact, all of them will likely be made of very high levels of awesome.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kkun » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 pm

everdred12a (post: 1317645) wrote:I'm still waiting on them to top No Sir.

Me too. Me too. :|
Kkun

Postby That Dude » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:55 am

You can also find the cover art at the website...This looks so awesome!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 pm

I freaking LOVE the cover art. It looks so cool. XDD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:15 am

That it does Raddie, that it does...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am

And here I was trying to cut down on the music I buy! I have no chance!
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Press release says the album's coming out on August 11th.

That day will be a day of rawness and rock.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=2889593&blogId=495199680
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kkun » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:27 am

You guys, I had a dream that I was listening to it and it was raw.
Kkun

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 am

Was it rawer than a frozen steak?
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:14 am

Kkun (post: 1321025) wrote:You guys, I had a dream that I was listening to it and it was raw.

That is the best kind of dream. Ever.

Radical Dreamer

Postby That Dude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:44 am

LadyRushia (post: 1321040) wrote:Was it rawer than a frozen steak?

It was probably as raw as a freshly butchered steak.
That Dude

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 am

There's a new Showbread song contained within Fuel MP3 Sampler. I'm downloading it now!

EDIT: By downloading it you sign up for some sort of email newsletter, just to let you know.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:54 am

djgkalgjalkdsgjlsagjldsgjadkljgalsghawliegnskefgjalekgnrakghlgjsh

Downloading right now. I am so stoked. XDD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 am

You guys. It's so raw.

[spoiler] Showbread guitar solo! [/spoiler]

Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 am

ooooooooooooo! I like it! It's pretty solid.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am

It may be more punk rock than anything they've ever done.

This is so raw.
Kkun

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:32 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1324760) wrote:ooooooooooooo! I like it! It's pretty solid.

No, rocks are solid. Ice is solid. Well, for about a minute at room temperature, anyway.

They say that the hardest metal known to man is a diamond. Some argue that, in fact, Dragonforce is the hardest metal known to man - even harder than diamonds. So why don't they make airplanes out of Dragonforce?

Simple. Because Sam Totman is still too busy learning guitar solo's, and Herman Ree is still too busy making Pacman sounds on his guitar, while Showbread is making stuff like this. Airplanes made of this would be indestructible.

I bet Showbread knows how to skate, while Dragonforce only Razor scooters.

everdred12a

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Everything about the above post wins.
Kkun

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:21 pm

LOL

I agree that it sounds more punk rock, but it's still good. As always, it sounds different from their previous work, but it's a good kind of different.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:43 pm

At first I didn't like it, but it is growing on me. Going right from "No, sir..." to this (without listening to the other three very extensively) is a bit of a stylistic jump to take in all at once.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:19 pm

ich1990 (post: 1324811) wrote:At first I didn't like it, but it is growing on me. Going right from "No, sir..." to this (without listening to the other three very extensively) is a bit of a stylistic jump to take in all at once.

That's interesting you should say that. You should listen to Age of Reptiles and Anorexia Nervosa and see if you still feel that way. I think it's the closest thing to No Sir that they've written in a while. It feels like it almost could have been a B-side...like an alternate, more condensed version of "And the Smokers and Children Shall be Cast Down" (with a sweet guitar solo!) or something. It gets back to their Refused-esque roots while abandoning a lot of the blatant aping of Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come that they engaged in on No Sir (of course, this is not an indictment because, hey, I love Refused) and combines it with some of the darker punk and industrial elements (which themselves are nods to bands like The Misfits and Nine Inch Nails) they've picked up since. The beginning reminds me of the intro to "A Llama Eats a Giraffe (and Vice Versa)" the last 45 seconds or so calls to mind the first aggressive part of "The Pig (Anorexia)." Overall, though, the tone really is like one of the darker songs on No Sir.

If the whole album is like this, it's going to be a darker, aggressive Showbread album that feels like a more mature version of No Sir. The production really feels like an early Nirvana album like In Utero and the drumming is very Steve Albini. It takes all of Showbread's 90s rock aspirations and does them right (as opposed to Age of Reptiles which got a lot of that....well, wrong...but that's an entirely other issue).

If the whole album is like this, August 11 will be a sweet day indeed.
Kkun

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Kkun (post: 1324830) wrote:That's interesting you should say that. You should listen to Age of Reptiles and Anorexia Nervosa and see if you still feel that way. I think it's the closest thing to No Sir that they've written in a while. It feels like it almost could have been a B-side...like an alternate, more condensed version of "And the Smokers and Children Shall be Cast Down" (with a sweet guitar solo!) or something. It gets back to their Refused-esque roots while abandoning a lot of the blatant aping of Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come that they engaged in on No Sir (of course, this is not an indictment because, hey, I love Refused) and combines it with some of the darker punk and industrial elements (which themselves are nods to bands like The Misfits and Nine Inch Nails) they've picked up since. The beginning reminds me of the intro to "A Llama Eats a Giraffe (and Vice Versa)" the last 45 seconds or so calls to mind the first aggressive part of "The Pig (Anorexia)." Overall, though, the tone really is like one of the darker songs on No Sir.

If the whole album is like this, it's going to be a darker, aggressive Showbread album that feels like a more mature version of No Sir. The production really feels like an early Nirvana album like In Utero and the drumming is very Steve Albini. It takes all of Showbread's 90s rock aspirations and does them right (as opposed to Age of Reptiles which got a lot of that....well, wrong...but that's an entirely other issue).

If the whole album is like this, August 11 will be a sweet day indeed.

I don't think I can follow this up.

everdred12a

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Kkun (post: 1324830) wrote:That's interesting you should say that. You should listen to Age of Reptiles and Anorexia Nervosa and see if you still feel that way. I think it's the closest thing to No Sir that they've written in a while. It feels like it almost could have been a B-side...like an alternate, more condensed version of "And the Smokers and Children Shall be Cast Down" (with a sweet guitar solo!) or something. It gets back to their Refused-esque roots while abandoning a lot of the blatant aping of Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come that they engaged in on No Sir (of course, this is not an indictment because, hey, I love Refused) and combines it with some of the darker punk and industrial elements (which themselves are nods to bands like The Misfits and Nine Inch Nails) they've picked up since. The beginning reminds me of the intro to "A Llama Eats a Giraffe (and Vice Versa)" the last 45 seconds or so calls to mind the first aggressive part of "The Pig (Anorexia)." Overall, though, the tone really is like one of the darker songs on No Sir.

I went over to their purevolume and I see what you mean about the No sir... influence. The last 75 seconds or so of "Nothing Matters Anymore" are the biggest detraction of the song, for me. After I listened to "The Pig (Anorexia)", though, I can see were it comes from.

If The Fear of God truly is a darker, more mature No sir... then I will be impressed. I am just not sold on the idea that basic guitar work + monotone screaming + constant cymbal smashing (like that which is employed in the last 75 seconds and on parts of "The Pig (Anorexia)") is a darker/more mature sound. Compare that sound to "And the Smokers..." about a minute and ten seconds in. There are different pitched screams, dual screaming, much more variance in the drum work, clean vocals mixed in, and more complex guitars. That sounds much more skillful and mature to me (although not necessarily darker).

Love the first three minutes and solo in "Nothing Matters...", though.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:23 pm

ich1990 (post: 1324846) wrote:I went over to their purevolume and I see what you mean about the No sir... influence. The last 75 seconds or so of "Nothing Matters Anymore" are the biggest detraction of the song, for me. After I listened to "The Pig (Anorexia)", though, I can see were it comes from.

If The Fear of God truly is a darker, more mature No sir... then I will be impressed. I am just not sold on the idea that basic guitar work + monotone screaming + constant cymbal smashing (like that which is employed in the last 75 seconds and on parts of "The Pig (Anorexia)") is a darker/more mature sound. Compare that sound to "And the Smokers..." about a minute and ten seconds in. There are different pitched screams, dual screaming, much more variance in the drum work, clean vocals mixed in, and more complex guitars. That sounds much more skillful and mature to me (although not necessarily darker).

Love the first three minutes and solo in "Nothing Matters...", though.

Fair enough, man, I think we just have a difference of opinion as far as personal taste goes (I think the last 75 seconds of it are great, for instance).

HOWEVER, I think I should have defined my terms a little better. By mature, I mean that Josh has improved as far as writing original material goes. Most of their stuff has been ripped off from other bands like Refused, Nine Inch Nails, etc. I can't as easily place this song alongside some other band that I know Josh Dies likes that it sounds like, and I think that is the mark of improving as a songwriter, whether it is particularly more complex or not. As far as being darker, I was also referring to the sonic quality of it. Everything on this song is rougher around the edges compared to their earlier works. It's a very DIY punk rock, garage band quality that I think fits the band rather well since it suited other bands with similar styles like Refused and (earlier) The Blood Brothers.

I disagree that this one features less complex guitar work compared to their other songs, though. "And the Smokers..." isn't particularly complex...it just has a variety of pretty basic power chord progressions (which is really all Josh Dies knows how to write, anyway). However, I will definitely agree with you that the drumming on "Smokers" is better. In fact, their drumming hasn't been really good since No Sir because the simplicity of Age of Reptiles' songs. They haven't been able to match someone who can play like Marvin for quite a while.

I don't think they'll top No Sir, but I'm sort of hoping they come close. I haven't been this excited about a new Showbread song in quite some time. This actually feels like their much older material like Life, Kisses, and Other Wasted Efforts and No Sir, which were the entire reason that I got into them almost half a decade ago. Honestly, all I've wanted since Age of Reptiles was a true return to that original sound, and this seems like it's as close as we'll get without them just rewriting No Sir (which would be, admittedly, rather boring because I can just go and pop my well-worn copy of that album in).
Kkun

Next

Return to Jam Session