Headbangers United.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:13 pm

TeeLay wrote:Dudes, I'm seeing As I Lay Dying, All that Remains, Haste the Day, and Through the Eyes of the Dead tomorrow.

I can't freakin' wait.

BTW, does anyone hear like In Flame's really old stuff?
(Lunar Strain--->Colony)

Dude, that's an incredible line-up!! Basically all headliner-worthy bands!

I havn't really heard any of the first In Flame cds, but Colony is probably my fave by In Flames.
Ichigo_89

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Colony is a sick album.

I still have yet to hear the entirety of Whorracle.
I've only heard "Jotun" and "Food for the gods."
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm

In case anyone is wondering, the show was insane.
Tommy

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:58 pm

Wow, this thread is so dead....

http://www.myspace.com/darknessinstereo

"Forgotten Tomb is an Italian black/doom metal band, formed in Piacenza in 1999. The band's music has been compared to early Katatonia, Burzum and Dolorian's 1999 debut album When All the Laughter Has Gone. The lyrical themes revolve around depression and suicide. The band's founder, guitarist and vocalist Herr Morbid (Ferdinando Marchisio), describes himself as a "completely depressed, paranoid and suicide-fixated person." (wiki)
Eric

Postby Tyrel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 am

I grant the thread.. Life from the Grave!

Yeah, I suppose I'm a bit of a special case. I detest most metal, to be honest, but I am a huge Hardcore fan, and I love Metalcore. I suppose the most Metal I let myself get is Protest the Hero.

Favorite Metal Band: August Burns Red
Favorite Type of metal: Metalcore
Favorite metal album: hmm.. Kezia probably.
Top 3 favorite metal songs: wow.. tough... hmm.. "Redemption - August Burns Red" "Arms of Sorrow - Killswitch Engage" "Blossom, the witch - Still Remains"
fav music website: Purevolume actually.

Yeah, that was hard.. I'm not sure if it's right. Like I said, I'm not a true metal head. I melt listening to Dragon force. I don't really enjoy full out Metal. I love Metalcore, and Hardcore, and then Rock, and some punk. I don't have an appreciation for Metal, and I hate Death Metal a great deal.
Tyrel

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:47 pm

I wouldn't call August Burns Red Metal as much as Hardcore.
Sure, it's a negotiation, but they sorta lean more towards Hardcore with Metal elements.

When I think of Metal I think of In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, Black Sabbath, ect.

ABR is pretty good though.
I would never call Protest the Hero metal though.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm

TeeLay (post: 1189716) wrote:I wouldn't call August Burns Red Metal as much as Hardcore.
Sure, it's a negotiation, but they sorta lean more towards Hardcore with Metal elements.

When I think of Metal I think of In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, Black Sabbath, ect.

I would never call Protest the Hero metal though.

Actually Tom i gotta say Protest the hero is metal through and through. And as much as any "true" metal hates to admit hardcore is a branched version of metal. ABR is hardcore on thrill seeker, and Metal on Messengers
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tyrel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 pm

TeeLay (post: 1189716) wrote:I wouldn't call August Burns Red Metal as much as Hardcore.

Yeah, that's why I say I'm not really a Metal head. I love Hardcore. Fell in love with it way back, but when I think of Hardcore, I think of Norma Jean, Zao and The Chariot. August Burns Red Strikes me as vicious Metalcore.

TeeLay (post: 1189716) wrote:I would never call Protest the Hero metal though.

Really? Hmm.. I consider them a lot closer to Metal than Killswitch, or any other band I listen to actually. Of course, they may be more Metalcore... if August Burns Red tends towards the Hardcore end of the spectrum, I think Protest the Hero tends towards the Metal end.
Tyrel

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Instrumentally Protest the Hero is pure Mathcore, but the vocals kinda throw you off.
Mathcore is technical version of Hardcore.

Killswitch is just general Metal.

August Burns Red is one of the better Metalcore bands.

When I think of Norma Jean, I think of a Botch ripoff band.

Kids from where I live, when we here the word "Hardcore" we think of two words: 'The Homefront':
(CAUTION! LANGUAGE!) http://www.myspace.com/thehomefront
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Kazuya » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:05 pm

WOW! It has been a while since I have been on the site. XD

I have been listening to alot of Absurd2, The Showdown (their 1st CD mainly), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, and Frost Like Ashes lately. Immortal Souls, too. They are awesome.
Kazuya

Postby Tyrel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 pm

TeeLay (post: 1189958) wrote:Instrumentally Protest the Hero is pure Mathcore, but the vocals kinda throw you off.
Mathcore is technical version of Hardcore.

Killswitch is just general Metal.

August Burns Red is one of the better Metalcore bands.

When I think of Norma Jean, I think of a Botch ripoff band.

Kids from where I live, when we here the word "Hardcore" we think of two words: 'The Homefront':
(CAUTION! LANGUAGE!) http://www.myspace.com/thehomefront

lol, mathcore is a silly term describing tight music. I don't use it. :grin:

Killswitch is not true Metal... maybe their "holy Diver".. but other than that, they are certainly not pure Metal.

Norma Jean is awesome, and I don't know how well you know their history, but they are not a ripoff... not in any way I know of. oh well :eyeroll:

yeah, August Burns Red definitely is awesome. However, I fail to see how Protest meets the defining features of Hardcore. The rhythm changes are more like those typical to Metalcore, as is the structure, and the sound. The voice helps make it sound Metal, but everything else does either.. Consider; Hardcore doesn't know what a guitar solo is, and they certainly are never that stupid high pitched Metal junk that you hear all the time with Dragon Force and other Metal. We hear just that with everything from Protest to All that Remains.
Tyrel

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_metal
All i gotta say is Wiki knows all

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Messengers was LESS metal than Thrill Seeker.
That may just be my opinion I suppose, but Messengers seemed to be a pretty generic Metalcore album. I love ABR, but they bring very little newness to the Metalcore table.
Thrill Seeker was quite more on the metal side.
Listen to "Speech Impediment" and then "Composure."

Killswitch has no Hardcore in the mix, so if they aren't Metal, what are they?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Kkun » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Everyone should listen to the first Warriors album War is Hell. I've grown addicted to it lately. It's fantastic and brutal.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Ska gone horribly wrong. No. Wait.
Stephen

Postby Tyrel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 pm

TeeLay (post: 1190564) wrote:Killswitch has no Hardcore in the mix, so if they aren't Metal, what are they?

erm... hmm.. No, I think they do. Let's observe]www.purevolume.com/killswitchengage[/url]

They label themselves as Metal/Hardcore

I think Wiki also puts them down as some faction of Metalcore.

I think I agree. They aren't quite Metal 100%, there is a touch of hardcore in there.

Then again, everything influences everything else so much these days, that I don't bother trying to subdivide musical genres more than is necessary. Every band is going to sound different. All things considered, you are right, Killswitch is basically metal.
Tyrel

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 pm

I'd say reggae.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:02 am

TeeLay (post: 1190564) wrote:Messengers was LESS metal than Thrill Seeker.
That may just be my opinion I suppose, but Messengers seemed to be a pretty generic Metalcore album. I love ABR, but they bring very little newness to the Metalcore table.
Thrill Seeker was quite more on the metal side.
Listen to "Speech Impediment" and then "Composure."

Tom, Tom, Tom gotta say Thrill seeker is more hardcore IMO it has all the classic hardcore momments. Breakdowns , Deep growled vocals, and punk inspired drumming. And Messengers from the first track is more metal IMO just listen to those guitars nothing like that was done in thrill seeker. Its generic and same old same old but they are basically the best at that type of music as of recent. Killswitch is Metalcore/metal/hardcore/hardrock so stop arguing just continue to PM. I wash my hands of whats to come XD

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Kkun » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:51 am

Yeah, Thrill seeker is DEFINITELY more hardcore than messengers. It's chock full of chunky breakdowns and chugga-chugga riffs. I like them both, though. Looks Fragile After All is the best, however.
Kkun

Postby Tyrel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 pm

EDIT; scratch that..

erh, yeah, I have to agree. Messengers is Metalcore, and Thrill Seeker is practically just Hardcore.
Tyrel

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1190678) wrote:Tom, Tom, Tom gotta say Thrill seeker is more hardcore IMO it has all the classic hardcore momments. Breakdowns , Deep growled vocals, and punk inspired drumming. And Messengers from the first track is more metal IMO just listen to those guitars nothing like that was done in thrill seeker. Its generic and same old same old but they are basically the best at that type of music as of recent. Killswitch is Metalcore/metal/hardcore/hardrock so stop arguing just continue to PM. I wash my hands of whats to come XD

Dude, I wasn't arguing.
We we just having a discussion about our music.
No fights erupted.

I never said Thrill Seeker is Metal.
To me is sounds MORE Metal than Messengers, but according to your opinions, I'm going to have to relisten.

As far as Protest the Hero goes, I gave it another listen and I think we shouldn't bother giving a genre to them.

To conclude, all those who hate Howard Jones in KsE and love Jesse Leach (pretty much all my friends) or vice versa, just know ALL KILLSWITCH ENGAGE IS DELICIOUS.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Tyrel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 pm

TeeLay (post: 1190744) wrote:
As far as Protest the Hero goes, I gave it another listen and I think we shouldn't bother giving a genre to them.

LOL, you, sir, deserve Awesome sauce!
Tyrel

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:55 pm

TeeLay (post: 1190744) wrote:Dude, I wasn't arguing.
We we just having a discussion about our music.
No fights erupted.

I never said Thrill Seeker is Metal.
To me is sounds MORE Metal than Messengers, but according to your opinions, I'm going to have to relisten.

To conclude, all those who hate Howard Jones in KsE and love Jesse Leach (pretty much all my friends) or vice versa, just know ALL KILLSWITCH ENGAGE IS DELICIOUS.

Ok. Actually i came of alot more harsh then i meant to I Just didn't want it getting to bad. Yeah i would suggesta relisten to each album (i will do the same) XD

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Kkun » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:15 pm

I don't understand how you guys can listen to Protest the Hero. It's so gay. Why is everyone on here crapping their pants over them?
Kkun

Postby Tyrel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Kkun (post: 1191108) wrote:I don't understand how you guys can listen to Protest the Hero. It's so gay. Why is everyone on here crapping their pants over them?

oh.. oh no... you were one of those who doesn't understand.. I feel bad for you.
Tyrel

Postby Tommy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Kkun (post: 1191108) wrote:I don't understand how you guys can listen to Protest the Hero. It's so gay. Why is everyone on here crapping their pants over them?

Wow...
Dude, it's like Chiodo vocals with amazing instrumentation.

I have a lot of ways to respond to your post, but I'll refrain.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Kkun » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:04 pm

TeeLay (post: 1191225) wrote:Wow...
Dude, it's like Chiodo vocals with amazing instrumentation.

I have a lot of ways to respond to your post, but I'll refrain.

But it's SO CHEESY. It's like way over the top...it isn't as bad as DragonForce, but it's close. Please, respond to my post in any way you want to. I can take it, I'm a big boy.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:44 am

Nah, the response I was thinking of was quite immature and weak.

I don't think it's anywhere near as cheesey as DragonForce.
Don't you like DragonForce, though?
I like 'em.

If you choose not to like Protest the Hero, it's your call, but you're missing out.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Kkun » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:04 am

TeeLay (post: 1191296) wrote:Nah, the response I was thinking of was quite immature and weak.

I don't think it's anywhere near as cheesey as DragonForce.
Don't you like DragonForce, though?
I like 'em.

If you choose not to like Protest the Hero, it's your call, but you're missing out.

I like DragonForce in a novel sort of way, not out of any actual love of them. They're something I listen to when I get really, really bored and want to play some Dungeons and Dragons but don't want to lower myself to the level of actually playing Dungeons and Dragons (which, dear friends, I've done many, many times).

Yeah. It isn't that I "choose" to not like Protest the Hero, it's more that I can't get into them. I was just wondering why everyone else did.
Kkun

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:29 am

I would like to take a moment, and tell you Jamie that I deeply love your sig. It may be one of the top 10 of all time on CAA. Now gimme a drink of your refreshing beverage.
Stephen

Previous Next

Return to Jam Session