Frustrations...

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Frustrations...

Postby Madeline » Sat May 22, 2004 8:04 am

This morning I sketched out a portrait of a girl or something...
but when I got to the hair, I found that I had no idea what to do.
I wanted to draw something long, so I searched all over the internet for tutorials and some good pictures to use as models. However, I began to get intimidated by the superior art and realized that my face is deformed. I'm on the verge of just giving up on the picture altogether. What should I do?
(Sorry, I don't have a picture to post...I thought this would be the appropriate forum to post this in, rather than in the General forum...)
Madeline

Postby Saint » Sat May 22, 2004 9:06 am

Don't give up. :) Just have fun with it, the more you enjoy it, the more you will do it and as time goes by you will continue to improve.

Hats hide hair too and are easy. like a nice rice hat /\
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby inkhana » Sat May 22, 2004 9:34 am

However, I began to get intimidated by the superior art and realized that my face is deformed.

Aww...-_-;; Although I can't really help you decide what hair to use or anything, I'll give you a bit of advice.

If you feel this way about your art now, chances are you're going to feel like that for the rest of your life about it. Goodness knows I do. Lots of people have told me I'm a good artist, but I spend a lot of time looking at those who are better than I am and thinking how much I wish I could draw as well as they do. The point of this is, don't get too concerned about what other people are doing. There will always be someone you look up to. And...there will always be someone looking up to you. Just enjoy what you do, do it for God, and practice. The rest will take care of itself.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Madeline » Sat May 22, 2004 10:42 am

Thanks. I'll keep working on it. :)
Maybe a hat wouldn't be a bad idea...
Madeline

Postby Mave » Sat May 22, 2004 9:31 pm

inkhana wrote:Lots of people have told me I'm a good artist, but I spend a lot of time looking at those who are better than I am and thinking how much I wish I could draw as well as they do. The point of this is, don't get too concerned about what other people are doing. There will always be someone you look up to. And...there will always be someone looking up to you. Just enjoy what you do, do it for God, and practice. The rest will take care of itself.

Gosh, I admit I sometimes get frustrated when I see other ppl's beautiful works which are (by my perception T_T;;;;;n ) way better than mine. But of course, that's my stupid pride working against me again, making me competitive. (Gah, kill pride, gotta kill pride!)

I have to constantly remind myself that God has a purpose for me and my artworks regardless of what style or ability I have at that time. No one ever said you have to reach a certain standard (aka be perfect) before you can achieve God's purpose or be satisfied with your works. That being said, it's perfectly fine to admire and check out other ppl's works. But let your focus on God sustain you, so that you're inspired, not intimated by their works.
Mave

Postby EireWolf » Sat May 22, 2004 9:38 pm

Don't be afraid to copy other artists' work at first, if it will help you. (Just don't claim it's original.) That may help you learn techniques to use in your own original stuff! :) Also, try using a model (if someone will sit for you) or a photograph and just try drawing what you see. Pay attention to shapes, light and dark, and proportions of parts in relation to each other and to the whole.

I've been drawing for a while, and I still have a really hard time trying to draw something straight out of my head. It really helps to have something to look at as a reference.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby VELyuki_26 » Sun May 23, 2004 10:36 pm

YEAH!!! Encouragement! I love this place! I too have felt the same. Many times I have wanted to give up, but the thought that true art is inspired by God is a wonderfully comforting feeling. They are right! Rely on God and He'll cut you A SLICE OF HEAVEN. Believe me! I've had lots of pie ,and I'm not done yet!!! LOL!KEEP IT UP!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VELyuki_26

Return to Art Corner