This is What I Call Therapy.

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

This is What I Call Therapy.

Postby SisterHipster » Sun May 17, 2015 5:10 pm

http://sisterhipster.deviantart.com/art ... -532870009

I recently drew this and haven't gotten many comments or ideas as of yet. So, I was hoping for a second opinion since I think I could make the picture better, but not necessarily sure how. Any suggestions? This is done in Prismacolor pencils and one random black colored pencil.
SisterHipster

Re: This is What I Call Therapy.

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:13 am

Whoa...Loving those colors, details, and that layout! Keep it up Sis. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Oooooh, pretty.

hmmm, things to improve? hmmmmmmmm okay. [nitpick_mode]
The depth feels wrong, inconsistent. She's on a couch in font of a tree. The tree is in front of a wall. The wall appears to be in front of the rail the guy's leaning on(though it may be intended that the rail is attached to the end of the wall). ... And yet when I look at the guy he seems to be leaning on a rail that is just behind her couch.

The rail itself looks odd. It's too thin to be really hold anyone back and yet is very plain in design. ... also it's really tall.

You could add in something to sharpen the border at the end of the yellow on her legs maybe.
[end_nitpick_mode]

...And her neck is really long. ... That might be deliberate, almost fits in with her willowy look.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SisterHipster » Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 am

@Moment The proportions were meant to be off because I was inspired by xxxHolic. The long neck and the willowy look of the characters was meant to be that way; I personally did not like how the male characters are drawn in the manga, so I put a little a spin on it by putting more meat on the guy (maybe a bit too much, which would be the railing looks weird.) I guess I could have done a better detailed job with the railing, which everything was meant to be tall and thin, but not too much on the male figure. I have a habit with adding stuff in sporadically like the tree and didn't quite think things through with how far something away something is. So, maybe next time to work on that and how far away something is. I was looking more for my color pencil issues. Thank you for you input. :)
SisterHipster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue May 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Well, I'm glad I could help. Even if it wasn't entirely what you were looking for.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Banana Lobster » Tue May 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I have to say, as someone who struggles to do any shading at all (I just can't seem to get the hang of it, frustratingly), this is very nicely done. Congratulations. However, the thick, black lines in the folds of her dress seem to be only marking where folds in the cloth are, and most of the dress is the same shade of blue, making it difficult to pin down where the light is coming from. Personally, I am still learning how to accurately draw folds in cloth, so even though the shading is off, I know that where they are placed and how, is very well done too. Perspective is another troublemaker.

As for your colors, they work very well together, and even with the lighter colors, it still is a very somber piece. I can't really find any problems with your coloring, except for the shading issues mentioned above.

The only other issue I can find, would be the girl's design. It was probably unintentional, but she appears to have a rather long, er, behind. I didn't notice myself until I had looked at the picture a couple of times. Even if her belt is higher than her waist, it still is rather awkward.

Overall, a very nice piece, but with some room for improvement. Well done! :thumb:
Banana Lobster

Postby SisterHipster » Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 am

@Banana High waisted belt was intended. I think after the fact that I made her butt too long and I was like "What the heck! I was going for elongated proportions." Thank you for the feedback on the way the lighting of the folds are. I never thought of that. :)
SisterHipster

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:36 am

Nice job on the coloring. You also have a very interesting style.

As far as criticisms, I don't consider myself a great artist and I still have allot to learn, so I don't really know what to look for. There do seem to be some shading and depth perception issues but that was already mentioned. The girl looks really elongated, but I think that's just your style :)

Again, nice job.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:54 am

The one thing that struck me the most in the picture is the amount of effort it would have taken to colour that drawing in.

I have nowhere near the kind of dedication you have!

By the way, I also think Jem is a great cartoon, although I don't recall every watching it (Galaxy Rangers was more my thing). :)
Sammy Boy

Return to Art Corner