My DeviantART Lite

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

My DeviantART Lite

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:22 pm

AKA, a new version of my art thread here, which has descended into the depths of oblivion. You can see the majority of my stuff at http://thenumber42.deviantart.com, but my "best-of"s and viewer-friendly, inoffensive (not that I draw offensive stuff) material will be posted here.

And now, a couple of character sketches from a vampire story I have yet to write. drawing's like my way of taking notes.

Alaina: I should color her, but the detail on her clothing at this point is a bit fuzzy for me. Use your imagination...or I could color it someday...

Jonathan: In computer-colored glory!! w00t! His pants seemed to take a velvety texture...which is a bit much...but hey, he's a vampire, let him get all gothic if he wants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Awesome stuff, I love concept art! Your style is intriguing and very well done! Do you draw from life or from a process using how to draw books or a combo? Whatever your doing its working great!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:55 pm

Strewth matie, you are good! I esp like the girl picture :D You have such a distinctive style;
O, btw, I quickly checked out your deviant gallery, and I spotted the chibi picture XD I absolutely LOVE the guy in the funny coat with the caption of "too much sugar" XD
Hephzibah

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:49 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Awesome stuff, I love concept art! Your style is intriguing and very well done! Do you draw from life or from a process using how to draw books or a combo? Whatever your doing its working great!

I started out with how to draw books, and then graduated to copying other drawings. Now I'm pretty much working directly from my head, with an occasional book or picture for reference only.

glad you like it! thanks!
Maledicte

Postby Danyasaur » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:04 pm

awesomely awesome! ^_^ *thumbs up* you have a unique style, and I LOVE that picture of the elf girl *is elf-crazy* keep it up, you have talent! ^_^
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:21 pm

here's what I like to refer to as one of my "signature" pics. I had a weird dream one night about a girl who didn't use paint when painting the red stuff...yeah. She's become quite popular on DA, and she doesn't have a name...all I know that she's got a bunch of big burly armor-clad guys who refer to her as the "princess". YEah. *coughs*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:48 pm

That is freaky awesome! And disturbing!

I have to try to learn from how to draw books and try copying other artists stuff. I try to do stuff from my head and it comes out like crap because I don't have the fundamentals of drawing skills to compliment it. Back to the drawing board for me. What "how to draw books" do you recommend? I have the first volume of How to Draw Manga series and found it good (even though the translation isn't perfect) (lol). Some others in the series aren't easy to understand for beginners but I found video games and anime characters or something series was much better. Thanks! Sorry for hijacking your thread!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:07 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:That is freaky awesome! And disturbing!

I have to try to learn from how to draw books and try copying other artists stuff. I try to do stuff from my head and it comes out like crap because I don't have the fundamentals of drawing skills to compliment it. Back to the drawing board for me. What "how to draw books" do you recommend? I have the first volume of How to Draw Manga series and found it good (even though the translation isn't perfect) (lol). Some others in the series aren't easy to understand for beginners but I found video games and anime characters or something series was much better. Thanks! Sorry for hijacking your thread!

No trouble at all! for anatomy, I would have to recommend Burne Hogarth's "Dynamic Drawing" series, which includes anatomy, hands, and light and shade. (I own Light and Shade, it's very helpful when it comes to achieving a certain mood.) Also, Christopher Hart has some very good books when it comes to comics. his Extreme Comics and Extreme Anatomy are good, and so is Comic Book Villains (or something like that, but just the villains one, not the heroes and villains one). I wouldn't recommend most of his other things, though, as they are mostly aimed at kids.

I can't give you much help on still life and mechanical things, though...since I don't draw them...XD

Also, even though they aren't art books, I'd say check out the Eyewitness books out there, each one is centered on a different subject. They have lots of nice big illustrations that you can copy. Remember, copying is good.

Hope this helps!
Maledicte

Postby HikariChan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Wowie thats really kewl~

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Here's my latest finished pic, also on my devART page. I've been reading Grimm's Fairy Tales recently, and it struck me that mr. Rumplestilzkin here is the unsung hero of the tale of the same name. He saves the girl, and as a result gets split in half! *tsk tsk* So I gave the little guy a little homage in ink.

Impact Alberto says he looks like a bish. I mean, he's not bad looking, but I wouldn't consider him one...
Maledicte

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:37 pm

fine then I'll add more.

Here are two of my black-winged angels, one of which was already prominently displayed in the gallery. These two are companion pieces. There should be at least nine of them, but I haven't designed them yet.
Maledicte

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:33 pm

cool stuff ^O^
Mr. Rogers

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:35 pm

I've seen the first angel and prefer the second, its more original. Great work!
I also like the Rumplestiltskin one. He looks like Puggleglum the Marshwiggle from "The Silver Chair" (Chronicles of Narnia) by C.S Lewis
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:55 pm

some colored goodies.

The first is a random picture I drew...his name is Joseph...no idea why. Or what that butterfly is for. Or why he's wearing those goggles. Or why his lips are striped like that. Ink and water, with colors in Photoshop.

the second is my Angel of Death, only in a more modern setting. The outfit's a take on his "original" outfit. He looks very 70's ish. Everything is off in this picture...the perspective is all shot to heck and the color is icky. but oh well.
Maledicte

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:24 pm

::fake pout:: apparently I'm not very *popular*, so I'll have to pack this thread with my OWN comments....heh ::end fake pout::

Two more pics. The protagonist and the antagonist of my story, respectively, based on my primary polar personalities. Or something like that. Both are based off of my own basic facial structure (reversed, of course, I was using my reflection), thus magnifying their significance, a kind of two sides of the same coin.

Wonky lighting on Laviscia, wheee! Helps to have multiple light fixtures in one room. Particularly desk lamps. I honestly use desk lamps as room lamps.

And a dancing banana for good measure. Meh. :dance:
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:27 pm

Those are great! You sure know how to draw faces well. The first pic is freaky but cool, the second reminds me of Cowboy Bepop (although I've only seen the preview), it looks very cool and definetly seventies.

For your last post, maybe the woman's lip definition should be... uh... less defined, not so solid, it doesn't quite gel with the picture otherwise. But far better than I could do!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:33 pm

boy, you're quick. Nice to know that I've got ONE groupie :grin:

yeah, the girl didn't turn out all too well. Bad enough during the pencil roughs but the ink kinda made it worse...I don't like her chin, either. But she's not supposed to be the most feminine of characters, so I guess it works.
Maledicte

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:23 pm

My Giant Robo fanart run, with the exception of one character. SHe was otherwise occupied...haha that skirt has a mind of it's own...

Despite the fact that these are fanart, I used these to practice a pseudo-realistic style while still keeping some of the original style. Not that it worked, but I was really into the series by that time so that seemed to be justification enough...>.>

1. Hanzui. pose taken directly from the front the 3rd DVD package. Mostly I wanted to draw that cape of his. Which is pink. Can you imagine this man wearing pink? unfortunately I can.

2. Genya. NOt too happy with this one, but at least I got his outfit right, and his leg. But it doesn't look that bad. Except for the mullet.

3. Big Fire. Yay whee fun color. I was trying to recreate a cell-shaded look, but ended up giving up on the cape. Pose was extremely fun though, and I like how his suit turned out. Allegiance or death!!

I'll post the final fanart later. I didn't know there was a 3 image limit.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:38 pm

Those are awesome! You're great at clothing folds and everything! I agree with the mullet, but I don't think there's anyway to make a mullet look good! (lol)
The last one is my favourite, so dynamic, fluid and the colours really create an errie atmosphere!
I'm not familiar with the manga or anime but you are definetly... wow!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:41 pm

haha thanks W4J!!!

here's the final Giant Robo fanart: Alberto the Impact, the series' coolest antagonist. Here he is idly wondering, over a cigarette, how his daughter might be doing while he's away.

Shaded in photoshop, y'all.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:49 pm

Very cool! The noir look is great!
So that's where ImpactAlberto got his username - Giant Robo, I might have guessed!) (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby termyt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:45 am

One side of me doesn't like posting "You're really good" posts. The other side of me doesn't like lurking in someone's personal art thread without saying something.

I'm not much of a critic when it comes to art, so I can't really apply anything constructive, so I'll just say "You're really good."

Thanks for sharing.
termyt

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Thanks termyt! Just as long as I know someone's interested in my stuff.

anyways....on to the art.

the first is a pic entitled, "King of the Sea." my own original villain, Chaos, in his home element. a redraw of an 18x24 ink painting I did that DIDN'T win 1st place...I'm still quite miffed at that incident. Not that I didn't win, but that the person who won did. The title of this picture is also a seafood extravaganza dish at one of the Thai restaraunts I frequent, a special costing $13.50. A horrible pain to color, and I'm not happy with how his shoulders came out. but I like the background..wssssshh

the second is a collab between myself and mechana2015...he started drawing Chaos and I kept bugging him on how "no the piping goes down his leg like THIS" and so he inked it and I colored it. Enjoy.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:41 pm

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I love original art. Squids are cool and squid people even cooler! Great cropping in the first pic and the second is a very nice chibi. Colouring is nice and atmospherically aquatic. Great stuff!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 pm

an ogress, from a story of mine. This is the first time she's ever been sketched or inked, and I'm rather pleased with the result. Except for that axe, though. I have a problem with that axe.
Maledicte

Postby AZheng » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:45 am

Your art is truly amazing. Have you ever considered making a tutorial or two to help out those of us who are more 'anatomically challenged'? :P
AZheng...perpetual lurker, occasionally has something quasi-profound to say. Not often, though.

deviantArt

<INSERT PROFOUND QUOTE HERE>
AZheng

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 pm

AZheng wrote:Your art is truly amazing. Have you ever considered making a tutorial or two to help out those of us who are more 'anatomically challenged'? :P

Why I'm glad you like it! as for the tutorial...erm, I don't know...how to make those...it just seems so natural to me...aRRGH I'M SUCH A HORRIBLE TEACHER

you know I really ought to make one of those. :sweat:
Maledicte

Return to Art Corner