Learn to draw anime!

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby Griffin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:02 am

my first book, and most likely the best if you dont want any nudity, or other things because you are weak * or if you just dont need it * was "Manga Mania" by erm....erm....Christopher Hart. He has since written "Mech Mania" and "Anime Mania" and Manga Mania - fantasy worlds. he has a flare for doing busty, showy girls, but other than that hes really a good teacher. also, the above titles save for the ones in quotes are guessed at.
Griffin

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:39 am

i second (or is it third) that you should keep drawing. i remember when i was in primary school i used to draw all sorts of weird stuff. therefore, dad bought me an industrial sized paper roll where i could draw as much as i want. seriously, that roll was something that people use to cut up and make crates (yes, crates) or drawing paper. you know, the partially clear ones... it rocked. it was something like 1.2m x 100m or something... huge :P

i don't think i filled it all, but i did about half of it. eventually the paper pile was so big and scrunched up that it had to be thrown away. aww... i could have drawn more... but at least it was good while it lasted.

i may still suck at drawing, but i know i got better by drawing a heck lot more :)
LorentzForce

Postby zoupzuop2 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:49 pm

:rant:I really can't draw worth beans... or even just one! I have no clue about proportions (Thank the Lord I can draw sensible female characters without *ahem* overdrawing), and I hardly draw heads the right way! I've tried dozens of ways for the 3/4 view, and those are horrendous. I can at least barely consider drawing a somewhat sensible profile view, which still looks the same for each character. I also can't get the characters to look the same after 2 drawings. And my final rant... my eyes are never right, with a few exceptions, and if it's not the eyes that suck, it's the REST of the darn body!!!!! :rant:
:dance:
"Akane's a sweet girl. She's just a violent maniac." -Kasumi Tendo :dance:

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." -Revelation 21:4:grin:

"It's a new generation
It's a divine inspiration
Always ready to follow
Ever willing to swallow
All the doctor's prescriptions..."
(Oingo Boingo, "New Generation")

Cold Miser pwns Heat Miser any day!
zoupzuop2

Postby Kite » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:33 pm

Anybody know some good places online to buy manga supplies.
Kite

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:37 pm

how to draw manga dot com has some good stuff

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby inkhana » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:57 pm

http://akadotretail.com/shop/comictones.php

That place sells some supplies. I have another link, but I want to check it out before I give it out here. They have tons of screentones there.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Kat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:25 pm

Kite wrote:Anybody know some good places online to buy manga supplies.

http://www.bluelinepro.com

They have manga paper as well as paper for American comics. Check out their catalog, they have a pretty good selection of stuff.

Also check out http://www.copicmarker.com/. This is the place to get the pens used by the Japanese to do covers, concept art, etc. Before computers, they used these with airbrushes for some gorgeous effects.

--Kathleen
"I'm only in it for the funny." :grin:
Kat

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Oh I get my Copic
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:13 pm

You ink by hand! how! 0_0 wow wish I could do that

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:18 pm

I ink by hand..but then I fix all the issues I had with it in the computer...and do effects that way too. I just use a mechanical pencil for penciling and a gel roller ball a fountain pen and a single quill pen for inking, and I get 'em all at Staples and the college bookstore.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:27 pm

That's a brilliant idea :jump: I hadn't thought about fixing up any little errors I had with the ink on the computer I will have to try that!

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Learn to draw anime

Postby Yuna-Tairyl Kc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:14 am

Ink drawing's cool,
i have trouble controlling the ink and paint, i rather stick to pencil drawing,
I'm learning how to draw anime from a great website
http://polykarbon.com
how do you control inks and paints anyway? :?:
Yuna-Tairyl Kc

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:24 am

Ummm... Inks and paints in real life? How are you having trouble controlling them?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

?

Postby Yuna-Tairyl Kc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:39 pm

i dun't really know, when i use inks for drawing and writing they seriously bleed in to the paper, and paints they turn a muddy colour

i rather stick with the thing i know how to do and thats pencil :P
unless theres ways to avoid these problems
Image Image Image

As the cherry bloosom open's my heart grow's for you,
As the rose petal drop's I fall for you.

many people will walk in and out of your life, but it's true friends that will leave the foot prints behind....
Yuna-Tairyl Kc

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:12 pm

I'm not an artist, at all, I just hang out with them. And, I think perhaps the bleeding on the paper has to do with either the paper you're using, or you haven't learned how to handle the ink. It's like playing a stringed instrument, you have to hold the pens over the paper very delicately, applying pressure lightly. That's my two cents from hanging out with artists. I'm sure a real artist will come along soon and fill you in a bit more. ^_^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:02 am

hmmm.. are you using a brush for the inks?
First of all, I agree with chloe. Paper makes a huge difference, and even the condition of the paper can make a difference of how it takes inks. I've discovered that if you abrade the surface of a quality paper, it may allow the ink to bleed. Quality paper will prevent bleeding depending on how well the ink is applied, and bleeding also can be lessioned (if you use pens) with a smaller pen or a lighter touch.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby skynes » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:18 am

I'm a cheat. I use Flash for drawing. Usually I trace over a picture import it as a jpg to Paint Shop Pro where I mask it and colour it.

I've attached a Megaman pic as an example (my avatar is his face)
I took a screenshot of the Megaman X 5 intro. Pasted it into Flash and draw around it (not an easy feat, takes longer to do that than everything else combined)

After outlining - exported to Paint Shop Pro where it got maqued, cut up into layers then coloured/shaded.

What do u think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skynes

Postby Kireihana » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:50 pm

Nice, Skynes! I use PSP too. ^_^

I'd like to suggest http://www.bakaneko.com for anime tutorials on males, females, adolescents, hands/feet, and CG coloring. The woman who runs it, Athey Nansel, is a great artist and you should definitely check out her art gallery. Her older tutorials aren't exceptionally stunning, but I learned techniques that have really helped me. The females are done tastefully (in my opinion) and the figure only goes as far as basic outlining... nothing detailed. Although I guess that would be more of a temptation to guys than it is for girls (or at least I hope so!) In my mind, like others have said I think the human body is beautiful and classic Renesseance (I know I spelled that wrong) art like Greek sculpture and the Sistine Ceiling are considered masterpieces. (In fact, the church at my school has a framed print of Adam and God from the Sistine Ceiling XD)
Kireihana

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:46 am

I can't draw very well at all, but one of my good friends can. It's sorta funny, since we were ten she's been bringing me her drawings and asking what I think Of her. I give her my "professional opinion" even thought I don't know diddly about drawing.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Gypsy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:25 pm

That's actually a really good, thing, Mangafanatic (I need to think up a good nick-name for you :)). I know that after I've looked at my art for a long time (especially *while* drawing it) the picture seems to run together and I can't seem to get myself to give it a "fresh" look ... if that makes sense. So when that happens, I really value honest evaluations (as long as they're nice about it ... my pride bruises pretty easily ;)). You don't have to be able to draw in order to tell if dimensions, color combinations, and balance are good.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Retten » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:31 pm

Gypsy wrote:I know that after I've looked at my art for a long time (especially *while* drawing it) the picture seems to run together and I can't seem to get myself to give it a "fresh" look ... if that makes sense.

Yeah I know what you mean! Everything just seems to blend together and then my eyes start to burn if I stare reall hard :eh: So I have to go take a break and come back to it so I can see what needs to be fixed :cool:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby shooraijin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:48 pm

> I took a screenshot of the Megaman X 5 intro. Pasted it into Flash and draw around it

Actually, that's something I use Flash MX a lot for, too.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby SwordSkill » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:12 pm

I'm an HTDM product...I've got six of them in my shelf and still hoping to buy more. And yeah, I learned mainly from them (even got the one in "Bodies and Anatomy," which I found very helpful); I'm not very eek-ish when it comes to nudity in studying art, I guess. ^^;; I think it's as basic and as natural as stringing words together when writing.

I also keep an eye when reading manga or watching anime. When I discover a good pose or some kind of POV I've never experimented with, I hit the PAUSE button immediately and draw it in the air. :lol:

I also have Brune Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing which is rather technical (I'm not even sure if I can fully understand it, but it's a very good book). Just bought it yesterday. Would be pretty challenging to study it.

And I'm currently looking for a book called Perspective Without Pain which I would recommend to people who have problems with perspective (like me, lol). It's more suited for beginning cartoonists and comic-book artists than technical fine-arts students, but then I figured I'm not an art student anyway and creating my own little comics is probably the most I can do. :lol:
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Gypsy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:06 am

SwordSkill wrote:I also have Brune Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing which is rather technical (I'm not even sure if I can fully understand it, but it's a very good book). Just bought it yesterday. Would be pretty challenging to study it.

Is that the one that goes into actual bone structures beneath the skin, as well as vein patterns?

And I'm currently looking for a book called Perspective Without Pain which I would recommend to people who have problems with perspective (like me, lol). It's more suited for beginning cartoonists and comic-book artists than technical fine-arts students, but then I figured I'm not an art student anyway and creating my own little comics is probably the most I can do. :lol:

Hmm, I should look this book up - I detest perspective excercises, but I can't draw flat forever. :sweat:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:33 am

Gotta look up both of those... I still need to learn some of the basics of anatomy and perspective. Any body got any good books on drawing structures (houses, office buildings... buildings in general)? I can't seem to fing a good one.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby SwordSkill » Sun May 02, 2004 7:43 am

Gypsy wrote:Is that the one that goes into actual bone structures beneath the skin, as well as vein patterns?

I think that's Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy book. Dynamic Figure places great importance in bone structure, but it assumes that you know about them already, and from that it launches to Hogarth's own theories about drawing the body in different perspectives. It's very theoretical...he's got reminders such as the legs being primary, the barrel chest secondary, and the shoulders being tertiary...quite frankly, I don't think I'm going to survive half the book. XD

Gypsy wrote: Any body got any good books on drawing structures (houses, office buildings... buildings in general)?

Don't know any specifics, but there's usually a number in art sections in good bookstores. //squints// I really can't remember. But anyway, you can always go to architectural or interior designing books, otherwise.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby ThaKladd » Fri May 14, 2004 2:29 am

how to draw hands:
<snip>

it's not anime hands, but good help anyway...

think I'm going to use that page...

the other pages in the same book give help to all body parts :)
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby ZiP » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:08 pm

uh, thakladd, have you noticed there are naked bodies all over that page?
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Archan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:40 pm

Unfortunately Zip, for anyone who wishes to become an astounding artist and master the human body....nudity is gonna be an unfortunate hurdle every artist will have to go through. Unless you master how the human body functions and works, there will always be something wrong with an artist proportions.

However, there is a certain series of books that water down the nudity ro simplified geometric shapes, it's a book series by George B. Bridgman on just general things about the human body and form, as well as gesture drawing <------Another key thing for artist to master.

However, I would agree that the next time a link is posted continaing some nudity, a warning be issued. :shake:

God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Dragon Master » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 am

Um, a good book to start with is How to Draw Manga By Katy Coope, then get How to Draw More Manga By Katy Coope, I taught my self how to draw manga/anime people but those two books helped me a lot.
I like hitting things :lickbash:
Dragon Master

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner