Self-edifying bible verses

Talk about anything in here.

Self-edifying bible verses

Postby Gleph » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:15 pm

My youth pastor advised me to find some edifying bible verses, so that i can build up my confidence in myself with cold hard fact. I'd really appreciate it if people could provide some. Truth be told, i know of some edifying statements from the Bible, unsure of what the verses are, though. Like "Limitless value to God" etc...

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Saint » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:39 pm

how about... Genesis 1:26, Psalm 8:3-5, Proverbs 11:2, Matthew 18:10-14, Luke 12:7, John 3:16, Romans 8:38-39, 13:9,
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:19 pm

Some that I like (DRV)

4 Take all that shall be brought upon thee: and in thy sorrow endure, and in thy humiliation keep patience.
5 For gold and silver are tried in the fire, but acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation.
6 Believe God, and he will recover thee: and direct thy way, and trust in him. Keep his fear, and grow old therein.
(Sirach 2:4-6)

12 Wisdom inspireth life into her children, and protecteth them that seek after her, and will go before them in the way of justice.
13 And he that loveth her, loveth life: and they that watch for her, shall embrace her sweetness.
14 They that hold her fast, shall inherit life: and whithersoever she entereth, God will give a blessing.
15 They that serve her, shall be servants to the holy one: and God loveth them that love her.
(Sirach 3:12-15)

23 For the whole world before thee is as the least grain of the balance, and as a drop of the morning dew, that falleth down upon tho earth.
24 But thou hast mercy upon all, because thou canst do all things, and overlookest the sins of men for the sake of repentance.
25 For thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which thou hast made: for thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it.
26 And how could any thing endure, if thou wouldst not? or be preserved, if not called by thee?
27 But thou sparest all: because they are thine, O Lord, who lovest souls.
(Wisdom 11:23-24)

Also Matthew 25:34-46
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby EireWolf » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:20 pm

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (Jeremiah 29:11-12)

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." (Jeremiah 31:3)

"The LORD bless you
and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace."
(Numbers 6:24-26)

"The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
(Zephaniah 3:17)
EireWolf

Postby Gleph » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:39 pm

PRAISE THE LORD ALL YE MEN OF THE EARTH! FOR HIS COMING IS NEAR, AND SWIFT IS HIS JUDGEMENT, MERCIFUL IS HIS HAND!

Thank you all ^_^

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:03 am

Technomancer (or anyone), what are Sirach and Wisdom? They sound like good verses, but I'm unsure of the reference.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:49 am

They are books in the Deuterocanon, which are included in the Catholic/Orthodox bible, but not the Protestant version (there's a thread in the Bible study forum that briefly discusses the reason for this*)

As an additional note: the names of these two books sometimes varies depending on the bible version
Sirach is sometimes called "The Wisdom of Sirach", or "Ecclisiaticus"
Wisdom is sometimes "The Wisdom of Solomon"

*edit: okay, there was a thread but it seems to have been nuked.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General