Future Carreer

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Jimmothy » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:12 am

I kind of want to be a missionary. Ever since I was little I was fascinated with the Oriental culture. I would love to go over there and tell others about Christ.
"Go with God's protection.....and hey, thanks for the apple"
Wolfwood
AIM: papervase
Jimmothy

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:28 pm

I find it slightly amusing that some of you seem a little upset about not knowing what career you want. Well I have news for you, most of my friends in college have changed majors more then once and I myself STILL don't know what I want to do when I graduate. :) So you don't have to make up your mind RIGHT now.

Right now I am in college for a BS in computer science and business but I actually don't like it that much. I really like my minor (which is web design) and I really like graphic design. But when I was about to enter college my dad basically told me that "yes I had a choice of major, but I couldn't pick graphic design". So I can relate to those of you with pushy parents. :shady: At this point I am just going to graduate and maybe go back to school when I have more money.

As for those of you interested in game design... I was interested in that at one time (come to think of it, I still am!) but the schools specifically for "game design" are really, really expensive. Which is what shot that idea down for me.

My dream job is working at Big Idea (I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet!). In either their web department or their graphic design department.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby LorentzForce » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:54 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:As for those of you interested in game design... I was interested in that at one time (come to think of it, I still am!) but the schools specifically for "game design" are really, really expensive. Which is what shot that idea down for me.

and hence why i have my software group so we can make games and produce examples so we can prove to the interviewers we can work cooperatively within a party of at most of 10, and am able to produce wonderful games. already one finished, one beta, and one major one to boot it.
LorentzForce

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:51 pm

MyrrhLynn wrote:I find it slightly amusing that some of you seem a little upset about not knowing what career you want. Well I have news for you, most of my friends in college have changed majors more then once and I myself STILL don't know what I want to do when I graduate. :) So you don't have to make up your mind RIGHT now.

I hear this from everyone. This is generally true, but not necessarily. Take my dream profession, for example. I can't go to your average college undecided. If I really intended to get into the field, I'd have to go to a specific college, and some of them want to be notified after your junior year. So my timetable feels extremely pushed, which adds to the stress/disillusionment.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:44 pm

This is whay I've always favoured the 5-year high school program we used to have here in Ontario until recently. The extra year enabled students to take a number of other courses that they mightn't be able to fit into their schedules otherwise, thus giving them the opportunity to graduate with a more well-rounded experience. Ultimately, it meant students could make better decisions about what they wanted to do. I could rant on about this at length, but probably shouldn't.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kirika » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:30 pm

I'd like to become a character designer either for anime or games or maybe draw manga but I'm having problems with perception and mouvement so character design would be better
Anyway, I'm starting Japanese lessons next year
I eventually would like to become a producer for animated movies, but guess I'll have to start at the base and wait to get noticed.
Kirika

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:11 pm

I have been considering computer programming as I like computers.
I'm taking a computer class this fall at college.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby madphilb » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:08 am

If I can ever get my "ducks in a row" (so to speak) I'm going for a degree in computer programming, unfortunately this is something I should have done years ago, but didn't.

I graduated HS, moved to Florida and went to a local county-run tech school (read: cheap), two years out I graduated, into a market that locally was populated with government contracts. That would have been fine, but they just started passing all the millitary reducation acts and those contracts dried up just as I was graduating. (read: experinced people willing to work for entry level bumped us n00bs out of line).

I was going to go for Network Administration (Win/Linux, etc), but when I lost my job with Pizza Hut (delivering pizzas) I decided I had enough of people yelling at me and didn't want to get into a career where people would be calling up yelling "why's the #$%^#@$ network down again?" You know it would happen :D

Programming on the other hand was something I wanted to learn anyway, and after doing some research on the 'net I decided that it was a good career choice for me.

Now all I have to do is come up with $40,000 so I can do 2 years full time (or something like that) :D

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Gleph » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:34 am

I'm going to be getting my hands in Youth Ministry. God would like me to look into it for now.

I'm really going one step as a time, though. I'm really looking forward to the future ^_^ He's blessing me so much now ^_^ And teaching me many things...

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:46 am

That sounds cool! Speaking of youth I have VBS this week. I'll talk more about it in the VBS thred.

As for the address I found, I need to type up a good letter and send it. I heard you, half the time, get turned down so I wont be discouraged if I do. It'll just give me something to keep reaching for.
Jesus is comming soon! RUE? / F.K.A. KabinShushiSora
Jephtih Mullins

Postby Saint » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:22 am

It took me quite some time to finally decide on a major. While i would like to be farther along, i can understand waiting to find your calling.

As for me i am majoring in Psychology and will either get a Masters in Counseling or a Phd, respectively. yet, being a Christian Psychologist, i don't know that i will be making quite as well an hour as some out there. in fact i am sure i will have more than just a little free work. (what can i say, i love Grace.) :grin: so i may dabble with Real-estate as well. wanna sell/buy a house? :P
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Aibou » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:43 am

I feel like doing some things in Japan.. and I want to have my own animation company.. and....... but there are so many things to do.. XD I love to make up stories and I like drawing.. so I'd like to do that. XD
//HBNU Creations// - Webmanga in the works!
//My DeviantArt// - Check my art ;D
//Everlasting// - My LiveJournal.
Aibou

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:26 am

You could maybe do manga
Jesus is comming soon! RUE? / F.K.A. KabinShushiSora
Jephtih Mullins

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:10 pm

Saint wrote:wanna sell/buy a house?

Yes, yes I do. :P
uc pseudonym

Postby EireWolf » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:47 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:So I guess I have to put it in God's hands, but this makes me uneasy, to be honest. Because God has this funny tendancy to not take things where you want them to go.

Yeah, God IS funny that way, isn't He? :) But He usually takes you someplace better than you wanted, beyond your imagining. Maybe not right away, but the journey is an essential part of getting there, y'know? As for that pioneering martyr you mentioned, God only took him where he had his sights set all along. :angel:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. "
(Jeremiah 29:11)
EireWolf

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:46 pm

I had made up my mind a few weeks ago and decided to plunge head-first in dabbling with Christian comics.

God seems to be pushing me into this direction and by His grace I'm going to do it! I dunno if I can go completely 100% into it without starving but I believe He will provide ^^

I'm majoring in Illustration/2D Animation this fall.... though I'm starting to have doubts. Many friends after going into 2D have their styles "force-changed" into Disney styled and what not since the college is sponsored by these companies.

In retrospect... I should have just taken fine art to brush up ONLY my drawing skills..... (But what is done is done, and I believe He has a reason for it)
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Previous

Return to General