League of Extraordinary Gentleman

Talk about anything in here.

League of Extraordinary Gentleman

Postby Spencer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:36 pm

I saw LXG today, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It has lots of plot twists, and kept me interested throughout the whole movie. Another neat thing is that it had lots of characters form books and stuff, like Captain Nemo from 20k Leagues Under the Sea (I think), Jekyll/Hyde, and Tom Sawyer. I give it a 9/10.

League of Extraordinary Gentleman Website
:)
Spencer

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:57 pm

I don't know, I read the review and it sounded absolutely ludicrous ("they're doing what!? in Venice!??"). I'm tempted to see it just to see how bad it really is. Then again, this was my rationale for seeing Dungeons and Dragons; and that more than exceeded my expectations. It does sound like a film that might be fun to MST3K with some friends though.

Here's part of the review: (Roger Ebert, 1/5)
"I don't really mind the lack of believability. Well, I mind a little; to assume assume audiences will believe cars racing through Venice is as insulting as giving them a gondola chase down the White House lawn. What I do mind is that the movie plays like a big wind came along and blew away the script and they ran down the street after it and grabbed a few pages and shot those."

The rest of review is pretty hilarious.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:03 pm

A movie Ebert didn't like? I'm surprised. All I can say is that I liked the comic book somewhat. I might have to make an effort to see this one. The only guy I really like is the Invisible Man, it looks like the movie treats him well.
uc pseudonym

Postby Straylight » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:03 pm

I personally thought the DnD film was a bit lame. Although admittedly there are some pretty amusing references in there, relating to gameplay, hehe
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:17 pm

Here's a link to the full review, it really is a hoot..
http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-league11f.html

on DnD- A bit lame!? I think the only redeeming feature of the film was watching Jeremy Irons' snarling (that was classic..). The film had the feel of being made by the 9th grade drama club, only with a bigger budget. Hell, Christopher Lambert's "Beowulf" was a better film.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Straylight » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:26 pm

Indeed. It's reminds me of something that a group of friends and myself were going to film up the hill nearby...

I stopped watching it halfway through, and was very glad I only downloaded the divX :D
A few things made me laugh though.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:41 pm

Your opinion on the movie is apparent. Thanks, I'll take that to heart. I was wondering if I should ever bother to see it. But shouldn't we turn our conversatoin around to LXG?
uc pseudonym

Postby Spencer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:54 am

:)
Spencer

Postby Owl » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:17 pm

This movie was VERY good. The characters were awesome, the plot was great. However, you CAN'T sit there during the movie and say "Oh, well how did they do THAT?" It's fictional, so get over it. Movies are meant to entertain, and that's what this did. The critics are always expecting some Oscar-winning performance, but that's not the purpose of this movie. I highly recommend it, though. :jump:
~Owl~
Keeper of the Moonlit Hours
Guardian of All Things Nocturnal
Owl

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:21 pm

It's probably going to be academic for me unless the theatre downtown starts showing it. Right now I'd have to bus it all the way up the mountain. ugh.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby inkhana » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:55 pm

Spencer wrote:::backs into corner and wonders where Archan is when you need him...::

[color=darkgreen]Yeah...where has he gotten to, anyway? Haven't heard from him in ages. (Sorry it's not relevant to the thread]

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Saint » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:29 pm

i saw the league yesterday night. i did enjoy it. it has plenty of cool effects, fights, scenes and so on. all of the characters are pretty cool and have thier own skills.
:rant: (i really don't like people ranting on about stuff. life is all about attitude. if you want to look at everything as sucky and bad, than enjoy your life. just don't come ranting on around me... i am gonna enjoy my time.) [i would never rant... oops..]

anyway, its worth seeing once. it is a fun movie. nemo has him some skills. :)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby madphilb » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:56 pm

Owl wrote:However, you CAN'T sit there during the movie and say "Oh, well how did they do THAT?" It's fictional, so get over it. Movies are meant to entertain, and that's what this did. The critics are always expecting some Oscar-winning performance, but that's not the purpose of this movie. I highly recommend it, though.

What's interesting about Ebert getting all bent out of shape about things is that he was just getting all over his partner in crime (from the movie review show he does) about expecting too much from Charlies Angles 2! He (Ebert) was basically saying that you just need to watch it and not think too much about it not making any sense... Shame on him... I've usually liked Ebert's reviews.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:15 pm

I usually only read the reviews if the movie is already one that I'm interested in (LXG being one of them), and Ebert's was one that I thought fairly funny *shrug*. Some other reviews said pretty much the same thing about the film as Ebert does though (while praising the comic incidently). I'll probably see it if it starts playing in the cinema downtown; right now I'd have to bus it all the way across town if I wanted to see it and that doesn't seem worth the trip.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General