They just 'rub you the wrong way'

Talk about anything in here.

They just 'rub you the wrong way'

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:13 pm

Let’s face it, even as Christians, we all know people that just “rub us the wrong wayâ€
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Roll » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:18 pm

[quote="CobaltAngel"]Let’s face it, even as Christians, we all know people that just “rub us the wrong wayâ€
[color="YellowGreen"]Got a Wii? PM me to trade numbers! ^^[/color]

[color="Yellow"]As a supporter of MOES, I would like to take this opportunity to kindly ask that the content of your signature be kept to a minimum as a courtesy to your fellow forum members. Thank you![/color]
Roll

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:44 pm

I can't say I'm the best person at witnessing to people..... my hardest problem is my family.... I've been trying to witness to my Grandfather for a few years, now. He's starting to turn around, but still he's still very hardened by the past. Though, I think it's kind of cool how he's now telling me about his days in Italy during WW2, the reason why he turned away. Anyways, my best advice is don't give up... you find a way to connect with them and pray for them and that they might come around. When, I come to a situation like that, I try not to respond with anger, yet sometimes I just laugh at them when they get mad. In fact one person said to me several days ago, (the clean version) "Why do I never see you, just ticked?" My response "There is peace in my soul, God and laughing keep it there." He gave me a blank stare… I laughed.
Link Antilles

Postby YesIExist » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:17 pm

I'm still trying to figure out that dilemma myself.
Idle hands are indeed the devil's playground. -_- :bang:
YesIExist

Postby Ashley » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:06 pm

Well, though I am by no means an experienced missionary, I'd say your best bet is to be honest to the Lord about it. Praying something like, "Ok Lord, I know I am supposed to show these people to You, but they really irritate me" and then ask for guidance. Ask for God to pour out the right words in you when you need it. I know He's done that several times in my own life...a great example is when I was chosen to lead a small grou bible study (I have a big fear of public speaking). The right words will suddenly just pour out and you'll know in your heart it's God using you. And that's a great feeling.

But again, my point is our God cares about us. He cares about and knows the personalities He lovingly chose for each one of us, and I sincerely believe that when you ask Him for the right words, not only are you placing Him at the forefront in your life, you're also humbling yourself and allowing yourself to be used by Him instead for Him. See the difference?

Anyway, I'll be praying for you!
Ashley

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:14 pm

To help overcome this challenge, it helped for me to focus on the person's good points, reminding myself that even the most annoying person is God's beloved creation. By experience, that alone made a big difference.

But the most effective way was sincerely praying, asking God to help me love even those who hurts, mock and annoy me. He answered by showing me how every single person is well....a person that God loves regardless of their attitudes and actions. When I learnt how God saw ppl through his eyes, I found it hard to despise anyone anymore and was...humbled as well. I haven't had as much a problem dealing with the annoying ones eversince.
Mave

Postby madphilb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:43 pm

I'd like to add that our lives speak volumes to people.... words, well, if they don't match up with what people see in our lives, well... it just won't have an impact.

Frankly most people rub me the wrong way.... or many of them do anyway (which is why when someone told me once I'd be a pastor I just about laughed in their face :D ).

Think on this too, those people may be in your life for your own good as much as you for theirs... sandpaper to smooth out the rough edges (if you're so willing to trust God to teach you how to allow those things to produce fruit in your life). That or the sand that becomes the base for pearls in clams... either one works ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:39 am

How do I witness to such people? To be honest, I don't. If by witnessing you mean active sharing of the gospel, I have only done that a few times in my life. When I look at my life, I know there are things that I could change to be a better witness. For example, I was sitting in class yesterday, and someone had to get by me to their seat. In the process, my desk (along with the items on it) fell. When I tried to get something, it fell further through the seats so that I couldn't reach it without moving. I was visible irritated, and now I regret that I acted that way; but I don't know that I would act differently if it happened again.

I suppose the moral of the story is that pride and anger are big obstacles to witnessing; for how can you love someone when they offend the pride to which you foolishly cling?
cbwing0

Postby EireWolf » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:23 am

Well, cbwing, at least you realize it and are honest about it. Most people don't, and aren't. They only fool themselves.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby DrNic » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:27 pm

So, what I really wanna ask it, how do I go about witnessing to these people? How can I overcome this annoyance and make a difference in their life?

Don't worry Coby, I've had people like this before and I can tell you from experience that it IS possible to get round it. What I did was focus on being as nice to this person as possible and to act natural around them. Then I tryed as hard as I could to find something good about them that I liked and also to find something that I had in common with them.

Until you feel good around the person it is going to be hard to witness. The person who I witnessed to now goes to my youth group. ^_^ Hope this helps!
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:11 pm

Most of them are just Immature little teens that think they know everything. And when they ask you about something and you give them the answer they keep going on with their Ignorant ways and throughing more questions at you as if they don't want to know the answer.

Then they stereotype Christianity. And make up a bunch of false laws that God never laid down. Grrrr I can't stand them. To tell you the truth, I'd like to break their legs sometimes (but exersize self control and never do, duh), I mean Gosh I was a bit stubbern but never that Ignorant and Stupid. :shady:
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby kaji » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:25 am

I like to call people like this "Sand Paper People", God some times puts them into our lives to help smooth our rough edges out. In other words, this is one of Gods ways of making sure that when we are put to the test, we still hold firm to the bibles teachings. Patience, love, hummility, ect. all these things are very difficult to focus on when confruted with people like this.

The ones that are really low Grit are especialy hard to learn from.

"Ouch God, that really hurts. Just let me knock 'em around a little would ya??...."

(Cool, this was 100th post.^^)
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Danyasaur » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:30 pm

I don't really have this problem cuz' I really don't get out much and don't like lashing out at people, but the one thing I've learned is that if you act with Gods loving kindness it'll rub off on everyone around you, so just pray and be loving and always remember that you can do anything through Christ ^_^
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby Luisa8 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 pm

You only witness to people who are ready to receive. If they are not ready you can't force them to listen to you let alone receive Jesus. You show Jesus in you by example. Also , we are not to argue with someone who is not ready to receive.
Luisa8

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Gravedig!!!
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Psycho Molos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Massive K-T Extinction era gravedig!! Lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Neane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Hands down, the oldest grave-dug I have ever seen.
Neane

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Neane (post: 1577737) wrote:Hands down, the oldest grave-dug I have ever seen.

I've been thinking about doing an old grave-dig like this for a while, now it looks like I don't have to.
Xeno

Postby Psycho Molos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Neane (post: 1577737) wrote:Hands down, the oldest grave-dug I have ever seen.

Older than the Black Lantern power rings bringing Jonah Hex and co back from the grave. Older than Nekron being revived. Older than 80s glam and hair metal.... Older than Freddie Mercury and Zoroastrianism. Lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby ADXC » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 pm

2004, huh? I was just a wee 13 year-old then. XD

Also, you get bonus points for having a grave dig that Ashley was involved with. XD Our once great forum shepherdess. I wonder how she's doing.
ADXC

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:56 pm

*sigh* And here I was thinking old members were coming back. Fat chance. XD
ABlipinTime

Postby firestorm » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 pm

you know when it hit's 2014 we should probably do something similar to raiderjoseph's timecapsule idea and do a mass gravedig to see how we have grown since that time. :D lol probably won't ever happen but it's a thought!
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 am

Now that the fun's over, Luisa8, please check our policy about dredging up old threads.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to General