Glasses for sports

Talk about anything in here.

Glasses for sports

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:16 am

Hi all, does anyone know if it's possible to get prescription glasses suited for sports / exercises?

I am short sighted and if I take my glasses off I can see no more than two metres away. I know you could get contacts, but I don't like sticking things in my eyes.

What I'm after are glasses with some sort of band or wrap that goes around the head so they don't fall off when one is running, jumping, etc.
Sammy Boy

Postby Xeno » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:24 am

Several glasses and sunglasses companies make what you're looking for. I know that Oakley specifically has the ability to make prescription lenses for any of their sunglasses or goggles, though I'm not sure how much that will increase the cost of them.

http://www.oakley.com

Or you can just wear some of the goggles over your glasses. This would be an example:

http://www.oakley.com/products/1311/2953
Xeno

Postby ashfire » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 am

I had a pair of glasses that would be like goggles with a strap that would go around the head. I used them for firefighting when I had to wear a protective face mask for breathing air in smoke or hazard conditions.
The only thing was that they won't work with todays mask because there has to be a good seal in the mask. The new ones fit the inside of the mask.
ashfire

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:52 pm

I wore glasses when I played soccer, but it wasn't that serious, and the few times I remember anyone actually getting hurt was when I got hit in the face with the ball, or when a teammate got hit in the stomach. I also wear my glasses when I go skiing, but I'm not sure if you'd count that.

But, if I were to choose, I'd go with prescription lenses, rather then get extra-large goggles to fit over them.

On a side note-I also can't see very far without my glasses. I need to wear them ALL the time, or hold whatever it is within a foot of my face to see it clearly. :P
Banana Lobster

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks for the info all.

ashfire - your option sounds the most interesting, but I reckon it's gonna cost a fair bit...
Sammy Boy

Postby ashfire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 pm

The glasses I got were through my eye doctors office. They were plastic but I think the lenses could be removed and replaced with new ones if needed.
ashfire

Return to General