Friend con drama

Talk about anything in here.

Friend con drama

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 pm

So me and a group of friends are planning to go to an anime convention together. I wanted to invite this one friend, (let's call her "Chris") but this would make the friend (let's call her "Jess") with whom we are all staying uncomfortable. Chris is a dramatic, easily offened person, and that plus her actions after hanging around my friend Jess, make Jess uncomfortable with sharing a room with Chris. Needless to say, they're are not on the best terms right now. I had already mentioned the anime convention to Chris, so I'd feel bad for not inviting her, but I also can't because of her it's Jess's decission to make. We already have several people going so I was considering telling her that we wouldn't have the space for her, but that feels a little dishonest. However, I don't even know if Chris would be able to/want to go to the con knowing Jess is there. If anyone has had this happen to them or has some advice for me, please help! :?:
I don't want to sound whiny, but I'm feeling very conflicted at the moment. :(
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Ouch. That's a pretty tough situation. Since you aready invited Jess, it would be incredibly rude to recind this invitation. Chris might also be a deal-breaker for more than Jess... or at least make everyone else have less fun because of her behaviour. I think your best option is to just not say anything more about the convention to Chris. Don't talk about your plans, don't talk about who's going... nothing. If she asks about it, be as vague about it as possible.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 am

Ok, thanks. I think that sounds like the best option.
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby ashfire » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Sounds like a Anime Con Horror Story. I heard the one where the blizzard hit Katsucon years ago and people ended up staying a extra day.
I heard where a young lady volunteer to work the con. Well she was roomed up with a young lady who was on meds to keep her calm so she wouldn't become violent. Well with the storm things were close to running out of supply including the girls meds and the poor girl room up with her got sick.
I know sometimes you can get roomed up with someone that you have to wonder about even in a anime club. Had some people in the same room one time I never knew but they knew someone else.
ashfire

Postby Hiryu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

I know it might be better to try and avoid taking "Chris" along with you, but it's unfair to exclude people from plans you've mentioned to them before because of one person. You will most likely end up hurting this person's feelings if they find out about this.

You could try to keep Chris and Jess as separate as possible. Maybe there's someone who has better relations with this person in your group so you can put them in a room together? Unless you're all sharing one room together.

Then again, I don't know this person or your group of friends at all, so it may be best to exclude Chris if the rest of the group doesn't like them, or you can foresee Chris causing problems for everyone. This person may not become satisfied with the information you give them, so you need to come up with something to say if it comes to that, be it the truth or something else.
Hiryu

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Hiryu (post: 1587979) wrote:I know it might be better to try and avoid taking "Chris" along with you, but it's unfair to exclude people from plans you've mentioned to them before because of one person. You will most likely end up hurting this person's feelings if they find out about this.

But it's not just one person - Wild mentioned that none of the other group members care for Chris. And having been in a similar situation, rooming with someone who's dramatic and prone to being offended - even in a convention for a limited number of days - it can be miserable.

You're right about it hurting Chris' feelings if she finds out. I do feel that you're right about coming out with the truth is the best idea in that case.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Now the situation has changed a bit and Chris is apparently planning on going to the con. I don't know yet if she is planning to stay with us or not, but Jess decided that she was probably going to just have to deal with Chris. Luckily we are able to a get two connected rooms, so that should help ease things. Thank you for all the advice! I just really hope this doesn't turn into a con horror story. :(
wildpurplechild

Return to General