Quenched Curiosity

Talk about anything in here.

Quenched Curiosity

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:12 pm

Ever had a question that you've thought of in passing, but never did actually find the answer? Well, here's the place to ask, and another person's place to show off their random trivia (or research skills).
Here's my question:

Someone told me once that no one's tastes are identical. Like, what chicken tastes like for me isn't what chicken tastes like for you. Anyone know if this is true or not?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:15 pm

What if what I think tastey wheat tastes like, really tastes like oatmeal? ;)
Stephen

Postby Straylight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:21 pm

What if what you see as red, someone else sees as blue?
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:28 pm

Mmm...I feel like chicken tonight.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:32 pm

How would you TEST something like that? I mean, to quote Morpheous here, taste and smell and things like that are really just electrical impluses interpreted by your brain, right?
Ashley

lol

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:47 pm

and what if they are a smoker.... they really won't think it tastes the same...lol
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:56 pm

Yeah, I think all senses are just electrical signals, so it would actually, my chicken could taste like someone else's ... asprin or something nasty like that. And I've also wondered about the color thing too, Djnoz. I should have called this thread aggitated curiosity ... on that note, another one of my questions:
is it humanly possible to imagine new colors?
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:09 pm

I can imagine a lot...

do you mean some kind of color outside of the prism colors we can make... as if there was another kind of light source to create a new field of colors?
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:21 pm

I think it would be kinda hard to imagine colours that are not possible to make outside our light spectrum because I don't think there ARE any more colours other than the 16,581,375 we can make with RGB.
Master Kenzo

Postby Straylight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:45 pm

.....other than the 16,581,375 we can make with RGB.

that's if you're a computer :sweat:
There are other colours but we cannot see them. They are just other frequencies in the EM spectrum. I think it's impossible to imagine new colours anyway because colour recognision is programmed as innate behavior in the back of the cerebrum (the visual area). Therefore it's impossible to recognise or imagine new colours.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:40 pm

LOL .. are you sure your not a psych major djnoz...lol

that's a lot of info...
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:08 pm

I hope it's impossible .. because I can't do it and I want that to be the reason why! So, in that case, we'll probably see new colors in Heaven. Cool! But do all of us see the same colors?
Gypsy

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:16 pm

info on color...

How do humans see color?
http://www.greatreality.com/ColorLeft.htm

if we had eyes like a cat....
http://videoforcats.com/catvision.htm

cool info:

Primary Colors
The human eye is sensitive to a narrow band of electromagnetic radiation that lies in the wavelength range between 400 and 700 nanometers, commonly known as the visible light spectrum, which is the only source of color. When combined, all of the wavelengths present in visible light, about a third of the total spectral distribution that successfully passes through the Earth's atmosphere, form colorless white light that can be refracted and dispersed into its component colors by means of a prism. The colors red, green, and blue are classically considered the primary colors because they are fundamental to human vision. Light is perceived as white by humans when all three cone cell types are simultaneously stimulated by equal amounts of red, green, and blue light.

The complementary colors (cyan, yellow, and magenta) are also commonly referred to as the primary subtractive colors because each can be formed by subtracting one of the primary additives (red, green, and blue) from white light. For example, yellow light is observed when all blue light is removed from white light, magenta forms when green is removed, and cyan is produced when red is removed. The color observed by subtracting a primary color from white light results because the brain adds together the colors that are left to produce the respective complementary or subtractive color.

Introduction - Pigments and dyes are responsible for most of the color humans see in the real world. Eyes, skin, and hair contain natural protein pigments that reflect the colors visualized in the people around us (in addition to any assistance by colors used in facial makeup and hair dyes). Books, magazines, signs, and billboards are printed with colored inks that create colors through the process of color subtraction. In a similar manner, automobiles, airplanes, houses, and other buildings are coated with paints containing a variety of pigments. The concept of color subtraction is responsible for most of the color produced by the objects just described. For many years, artists and printers have searched for substances containing dyes and pigments that are particularly good at subtracting specific colors.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:15 pm

remember, humans aren't the only ones who see the entire colour range. birds are actually better at vision. just think about eagles' ability to see so far with perfect accuracy.

and no one would want to see every spectrum of the entire EM band. then everything would be a blur since radiowaves are able to bounce, thus blocking out 'would-be' vision.
LorentzForce

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:27 pm

ive gotta say this conversation is way to deep for me. :drool:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:39 pm

LOL--me too--I'm glad we have such smart people among us... :dizzy:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:54 am

Hmm, so if color is the amount of light absorbed and/or reflected by certain pigments, does that mean color does not exist in the dark? Like, if you close a comic book, does the color inside not exist, yet the pigments do? (I think I just confused myself).
Oh, another question I had that Steve and I were talking about the other day. Ever feel really slow on a rainy day, like everything is all blah and you're not real quick on your feet? He suggested that since our brain waves are electrical impulses, does the humidity factor in the air slow things down ever so slightly? Well .. wait a minute ... water is very conductive ... wouldn't that make it faster?
Gypsy

Postby Master Kenzo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:34 am

Actually, on a sunny day...one sec, getting my really old book thingy with...stuff...info...OKAY OKAY! IT'S A LITTLE KID'S BOOK! SO WHAT?

Anyway...

Daily exposure to sunlight helps to keep your body's "biological rhythm" in line, or something like that. So on a rainy day with no sunlight, you will feel blah.
Master Kenzo

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:43 am

Interesting theory Steve.
I notice you feel that way on really hot days too...well maaaaaaybe on the hot days (I'm in Texas, I'm an expert on these things :grin: ) your brain gets like an over-cooked computer and starts going into meltdown phase for the same thing. And just cause water's conductive doesnt' mean it's good for electronics....ooo, I just thought of something! Putting 2 and 2 together here, okay, assuming the water-electicity-brain thing is right, is that why you have more shocks when you touch doorknobs? ;)
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:30 pm

actually, you are more likely to have static electricity shocks when it's cold and dry
Rashiir

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:48 pm

in the north where is is sunny less and overcast more.. they get a problem with depression due to lack of chem from brain flow needed that is created when exposed to sunlight.. the docs actually diagnose and perscribe going to a tanning bed... I forgot what the sickness is called though.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Spencer » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:41 pm

This is the kind of thread that hurts my head.

Haha, that rhymes!

(I rest my case...:dizzy: )
:)
Spencer

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:45 pm

Isn't there such a thing as thinking too much?:cool:
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:44 am

Anyone know why things look more colorful underwater?
And just a random just-to-let-you-know (wipes tongue off with napkin) never eat a handful of jelly bellies and then take a sip of barqs. It tastes like 20-year old cough syrup ...
Gypsy

Postby Spencer » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:08 pm

My guess would be maybe sunlight reflecting off of water, or the water absorping the sunlight...I dunno, but I'd imagine the sun and the water were related in some way to make things look more colorful and...Flamboyant. :brow:
:)
Spencer

Postby Straylight » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:18 pm

ever tried chewing a mint and then having a glass of orange juice?

ewww
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:28 pm

Yah, a couple times i've tried to drink oj after brushing my teeth...:drool:
Rashiir

Postby Stephen » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 pm

Rain makes people stupid...trust me. Every time it rains....the people that come into work are dumb as bricks....there is something to it. :?:
Stephen

Postby Jimmothy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:27 pm

for the under water color thing. I think that it is light can cary farther and clearer just like sound under water is dif. ounce my freind and i were swiming and i wondered if he could hear me under water from across the pool. It turns out that it sounded like i was right next to him. I don't know why i put all that down i think i am confused. :dizzy: any way haven't you ever wondered about every single one of us have a life we are living at the same time, billions of people are thinking at the same time as you its so amazing. God is so great to have made all of us.
"Go with God's protection.....and hey, thanks for the apple"
Wolfwood
AIM: papervase
Jimmothy

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:13 pm

How does popcorn work?
Gypsy

Next

Return to General