Breaking News: Power failures hit US and Canada

Talk about anything in here.

Breaking News: Power failures hit US and Canada

Postby Straylight » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:15 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3152451.stm

Although I suppose if you're affected, you won't be able to post :sweat:

I hope it isn't terrorism
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:30 pm

Yeah, I've been watching the news. They believe or have confirmed it's powerplant overload in New York that cause a ripple effect knocking out power in the surrounding area. The power should be back this evening.
Fortunately it's not related to terrorism. It's similiar to that black out in the 60s, I believe.
Link Antilles

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:07 pm

Yeah, it seems to have been a point failure that managed to cascade throughout the system. If anyone's curious, the '65 blackout was caused by a single overloaded switch (which tripped, shunting power to another switch, which tripped etc). IEEE Spectrum ran a pretty good article a couple of months ago on it.

We just got power back a little while ago over here. I know that areas as far away as Thunder Bay and Timmins were hit too, although I don't know the full extent yet. For us at least it turned into a fairly relaxed evening, just sitting on the porch with my housemates and shooting the breeze over some drinks (I mean what else was there to do). There were a hell of a lot of emergency vehicles on the road though, so I hope that there have been no serious accidents
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:09 am

THAT WAS soooo anoying... i live in Puoghkeepsie Ny and we didn't get power untill 4 a.m. Atupid "SaFEGUard Syetem"

LIcky i got a generator.. to bad my cable didnt, i missed adult swim. :waah!:
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby Technomancer » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:11 am

They're saying it may be a few days before some parts of Ontario get back on the grid. Even for those parts that're back on they're urging low usage (and for water too).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby SMoonEmpress » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:33 am

We lost power last night at around 4:15pm. We got lucky though and it returned at around 11pm. It still got pretty darned hot, and it wasn't easy without water. :P
My prayers are with all of the people still without power!
"Watashi wa... Jikyuu no tobira wo mamoru meikai no bannin... Sailor Pluto!"
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:20 pm

Now is a time I'm grateful I don't live in the northeast US. I've been through power outages before(though none as big as this of course) and they aren't fun.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Technomancer » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:31 pm

We're still getting rolling blackouts. We were off for 6 hours this afternoon. The worst part was seeing that the other side of our street was still online.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:53 pm

Yeah. We were 'lucky' during the rolling blackouts here in CA. Our appartment is right next to an 'assisted care facility', so we didn't get shut off. The ONLY advantage of living this close to death-behind-the-wheel. And if you ever come to visit, stay away from their pigeons!

Ug. How did I get back on THAT? I gotta get this lady out of my head. Hmm. It's almost time for karate practice. :evil: Maybe I'll wait to get her out of my mind a little longer...
Mithrandir

Postby Rashiir » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:34 pm

I heard that the tourists were locked out of their hotel rooms because the electric card things don't work when there's no power. Where did they all go?
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby DuelShocker3 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:27 pm

I was on vacation went the power thing happened. That's why I haven't been posting a lot lately. I just came back. Anyway we watched it all on TV in our trailer. We didn't lose power thank God. I too was scared that it might have been terriorsts. Good thing it was only something with the power supply on Ohio. :)
DuelShocker3

Return to General