Hexing? or supernatural intervention in general

Talk about anything in here.

Hexing? or supernatural intervention in general

Postby Gleph » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:06 am

I'm getting an aweful lot of these relationship good/bad emails lately. And quite frankly, they're just getting annoying now. NO ONE deserves to have that put over them. Especially if they believe in it.

But i'd like to discuss it. I think supernatural phenomena other than the power of God exist. It would explain curses and such like. My view is, God is the most powerful being in the universe. If you trust in him, the hexes don't affect you. So yeah...

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby weisskreuz/chic » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:44 am

Wouldn't hexing come from the power of Satan? That's what I was told but if you believe and trust in God it will have no affect on you.
weisskreuz/chic

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:55 am

i first thought the hex as in 'hexing' of the computer nature with its "supernatural" powers. i guess i was totally wrong :P

God says there's only two ways; either God's way, or the Satan's way.

don't even listen to Satan. Satan goes on about 'oh there are more than just me and God...' but in fact, it's all just Satan's work. there is no 'in-between' powers.
LorentzForce

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:59 am

While I cannot discount all such matters, I think we have to be extremely skeptical with any claims to such things. Open mouthed credulity for such charlatans ultimately gives them (and whomever you may think is behind them) far more influence in the world than they deserve. You will find that nearly all such self-professed astrologers, psychics, or crystal-wavers do nothing more than prey on human weaknessess and gullibility; which admittedly is bad enough. This is not to say it doesn't lead to sin, but that the sins are the altogether prosaic mistakes of greed or a loss of faith.

While I know that most of you do not consider the Deuteros to be canonical, I'd recommend reading what the book of Wisdom (ch 13-14) has to say on the subject of petitioning idols (ie. it doesn't work)

16 Providing for it, lest it should fall, knowing that it is unable to help itself: for it is an image, and hath need of help.
17 And then maketh prayer to it, enquiring concerning his substance, and his children, or his marriage. And he is not ashamed to speak to that which hath no life:
18 And for health he maketh supplication to the weak, and for life prayeth to that which is dead, and for help calleth upon that which is unprofitable:
19 And for a good journey he petitioneth him that cannot walk: and for getting, and for working, and for the event of all things he asketh him that is unable to do any thing.
Wisdom (13:16-20)

You might also want to consider that if such things had any power Las Vegas would probably go bankrupt overnight. As a conclusion, remeber Theophrastus' words: "Superstition is cowardice in the face of the divine"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:33 pm

Technomancer presents a valid point, but I think I'll have to speak to provide a bit of balance. I do believe that Satan can work in physical ways in our world... however, I believe he understand that this is rarely the best way to draw people astray. There are a great many more subtle things he can do that will do far greater damage. But, both from personal experience and my theology, I believe this is open to him. And, in certain cases, with certain people, it is an effective tool.

Secondly, I would not agree that a belief in God grants automatic immunity. It doesn't really stop other temptations. I do believe (strongly) that we have a greater authority than any other powers, but I'm not so sure we constantly have an invisible force field surrounding us.

Pray. It can't hurt.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:36 pm

I would say if anything, being a christian makes you a greater target for attack. Think about it...Satan's furious that he lost your soul, so he'll throw everything he can get his hands on at you...anything at all that will shake that faith or crack that foundation. The difference is now we can be pressed without being crushed, if you catch the allusion. ;)
Ashley

Postby Gleph » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:33 pm

Thanks for providing insight into the situation :) I pitty such people that think such things have power over the lives. Wouldn't it be so degrading to your moral, knowing that you don't have control over your life?

In any case, my view is it's Satan's doing, as others have pointed out. I have been encountered by various examples (thankfully none such thing has happened to myself) such as curses being put on family members, horrible diseases, etc.

God is creator of the universe, put your trust in him and you shall not falter. I think believing in him is not enough. You have to trust his doing will get you through any situation that you may experience.

And ofcourse, pray. Thanks for praying :)

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Hexxing?

Postby Celtic_Moon » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:16 am

Well, my mother-in-law seems to believe in those, however, that's not the most reliable source :sweat:
how about this?(please excuse a few of my nonexistant caps, my left pinky got smashed with a hammer and the acrylic is pulling off my real nail :waah!: , but lo, the right shift key! :dance: ) If you don't believe in something, it can't exist. I've never put too much stock in bad luck, superstition or hexes. Besides, if the person who's dabbiling in magick really put a curse on someone, it will come back anyway on them.

What's the mater are you too good for your home?-Happy Gilmore
Celtic_Moon

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:22 am

Celtic_Moon wrote:If you don't believe in something, it can't exist.

Oh really? That's ... slightly amusing. I've heard some of my instructors and profs say things along that line. Care to explain why you believe that?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:08 am

"Soul Music": great book, not so great theology. I love what it says about belief and reality, and many other things along those lines. But please do clarify about that...
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:17 am

For a great (albeit difficult for some) book along the lines of the use of physical intervention by Satan, see The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. (Real name: Clive Staples. No wonder he went by C. S. Anyway...) It's a fictional work, and should therefore not be regarded as doctrine, but it makes some great points about the subtlty of The Enemy.
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:34 am

Mmm, a definate must-read.
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:10 am

Yes, that is a very, very good book on the subject.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:09 am

Two other people have already said this, but I'll add in my own bit that this is a classic.

Personally, I love the part where he says he should mourn that he died in the bombing. Because suddenly he is forever lost to them. No long years of degeneration, no time to worry and doubt...
uc pseudonym

Return to General