Risque Cosplay Outfits

Talk about anything in here.

Risque Cosplay Outfits

Postby ashfire » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Attending Otakon this year I witness a few cosplayers with some real risqué outfits. One I seen used a string bikini for the makeup of hers. A male cosplayer wear white briefs. A Batman with boxer shorts and bare chest. There were many others. Working a smaller anime con with a family organized setup we have to be sure that attendees are not dressed offensive for families including those with small children.
It has been seen that some of the larger cons may not have the people to control the actions of others during the show unless pointed out to them.
Now some cons may allow after certain hours for over 18+ programs and maybe costumes and other events when children should be in bed.
ashfire

Re: Risque Cosplay Outfits

Postby Anirac » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:53 am

When going to events like those, we have to be ready for anything! The bigger the event, the more rampant wickedness will be. Besides, anime, manga, and games do not help. If it's not violence, it's promiscuity; integrity and righteousness seem to be outdated characteristics nowadays!
Anirac

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:01 am

Eh, no worse than they'd see at a public beach as far as I'm concerned.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ashfire » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 am

I know some public beaches have some rules that won't allow certain bathing suits on their beaches and boardwalks. Some even go as far as requiring males to wear t-shirts when walking on the boardwalk.
ashfire

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 am

Um, I'm sorry, but what are you trying to say here? Even if more measures are made to discourage scantily-clad cosplayers, they're still going to find ways to bend (if not break) the rules.
K. Ayato

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:13 pm

We've been seeing outfits of this nature out at Anime Expo since the first year I attended, 2004 or so, such as Yatta groups and Naruto transformations. There are even some regulations in place inside the con, but there's not much that can be done in areas that don't require a badge to enter, such as courtyards of hotels or outdoor sections of convention centers.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 pm

ashfire wrote:Some even go as far as requiring males to wear t-shirts when walking on the boardwalk.

Maybe I'm the weirdo but that just seems silly. I can understand requiring them in shops and in restaurants, but just walking around? Meh.

Nate

Postby yukoxholic » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:17 pm

I feel like at most conventions there are risqué cosplays. Personally, as someone who used to Cosplay I can understand why some pick those specific characters because they either love them, know the costume will be easy, or they do it for attention meaning whatever anime is getting a lot of hype they will Cosplay to have more people stop and take pictures. That stated even if they are doing a character they love I do not think characters like Felicia from darkstalkers is appropriate. If conventions were 18+ than go ahead show all the nip slips, butt cheeks, and crotch shots all you want but because conventions are all ages with kids present I don't think it's right. Plus, as an adult going to a convention I got really tired of seein everybody's everything on display.
yukoxholic

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:31 am

I thought standard procedure for Felicia cosplays and similar designs was to wear a nude-colored bodysuit. Nothing gets shown and it's still pretty true to the character when you put all the fluff on top of it.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 am

18+ programming is hardly new. I've only been attending cons since 2008, but even back then they had 18+ programming (and 21+ room parties). Minor/underaged attendees shouldn't be able to get into them anyway, because you (are supposed to) get carded. I had an adult badge and still had to show my license.

Anirac wrote:When going to events like those, we have to be ready for anything! The bigger the event, the more rampant wickedness will be. Besides, anime, manga, and games do not help. If it's not violence, it's promiscuity; integrity and righteousness seem to be outdated characteristics nowadays!

It also helps to not be overzealous. It's hard to have fun when you're too busy judging every bare shoulder.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 am

Nate wrote:I thought standard procedure for Felicia cosplays and similar designs was to wear a nude-colored bodysuit. Nothing gets shown and it's still pretty true to the character when you put all the fluff on top of it.

For anime expo the bodysuit was recently required by the organizers in the convention dress code, if I remember correctly. It of course did nothing about people without con badges, or in areas outside of regular supervision.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

Nate wrote:
ashfire wrote:Some even go as far as requiring males to wear t-shirts when walking on the boardwalk.

Maybe I'm the weirdo but that just seems silly. I can understand requiring them in shops and in restaurants, but just walking around? Meh.

yukoxholic wrote:I feel like at most conventions there are risqué cosplays. Personally, as someone who used to Cosplay I can understand why some pick those specific characters because they either love them, know the costume will be easy, or they do it for attention meaning whatever anime is getting a lot of hype they will Cosplay to have more people stop and take pictures. That stated even if they are doing a character they love I do not think characters like Felicia from darkstalkers is appropriate. If conventions were 18+ than go ahead show all the nip slips, butt cheeks, and crotch shots all you want but because conventions are all ages with kids present I don't think it's right. Plus, as an adult going to a convention I got really tired of seein everybody's everything on display.

Ante Bellum wrote:It also helps to not be overzealous. It's hard to have fun when you're too busy judging every bare shoulder.

Totally agreeing with Nate, Yukoxholic, and Ante.

Personally, I don't see any problem with cosplaying. To me it's just dressing up for fun like for Halloween or being an actor playing a role. That said, however, I do think some costumes go waaaaaay overboard.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby ashfire » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Nate wrote:

Some beaches consider themselves as family resorts. When you have some males even females with tattoos and piercing walking in and around families walking on the boardwalk would guess some would feel intimidated by these people. I know Ocean City Md. boardwalk is heavily patrolled by the city police and have had discussion with many on the boardwalk about their actions. I know a friend of mine that carried a folding knife on their belt and had a officer walk up and ask them about it. Even to remove the knife from the belt. They have a lot of rules and regulations about the whole city. Right now they are trying to stop one week rentals in areas of the city to stop parties and noise.
ashfire

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Tattoos and piercings? Really? Unless someone's got Neo-Nazi symbolism on them, generally you can't tell what someone is like just from their body decoration.
As to your friend getting questioned, that's a no-brainer. Knives come off as dangerous when you're displaying them openly in public, so it's not "even," it's "naturally" asking him to put it away. If you think that's better than, gasp, a bit of embedded ink, then you need to rethink what you consider unsafe.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Can't let children see people with tattoos or piercings, they may grow up to be demon worshiper a who listens to Taylor Swift metal.
Last edited by Xeno on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 pm

\M/ETAL
Ante Bellum

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:33 am

ashfire wrote:
Nate wrote:

Some beaches consider themselves as family resorts. When you have some males even females with tattoos and piercing walking in and around families walking on the boardwalk would guess some would feel intimidated by these people. I know Ocean City Md. boardwalk is heavily patrolled by the city police and have had discussion with many on the boardwalk about their actions. I know a friend of mine that carried a folding knife on their belt and had a officer walk up and ask them about it. Even to remove the knife from the belt. They have a lot of rules and regulations about the whole city. Right now they are trying to stop one week rentals in areas of the city to stop parties and noise.

See, the knife thing I can understand. Who carries a knife on their belt and expects people to not be nervous?
Not sure about the tattoo and piercing thing, though, but some beaches or public places in general will have strict codes of conduct and such. Ocean City is an actual resort town, so they probably try to maintain a certain image.

Back to the original topic, most conventions have rules about how exposing cosplays can be, as many people in this thread have mentioned. Often, though, these rules will be more lax that some standards of people will be, but they try to make it a happy medium for everyone, though. Also, I find it very fortunate of you to witness only a "few" risque cosplayers, at Otakon, no less, one of the biggest anime conventions in the US.
I also staff anime conventions, both fairly small (anywhere from 600 to 2500 people), and I can tell you that it's impossible to police every single corner of the convention center for cosplayers breaking the costume rules of our con. But, in general, hearing that you only saw a few, again, means that Otakon was doing a fairly good job.
goldenspines

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:36 am

goldenspines wrote:Also, I find it very fortunate of you to witness only a "few" risque cosplayers, at Otakon, no less, one of the biggest anime conventions in the US.

The rest were all still in line.
Ante Bellum

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:51 pm

ashfire wrote:
Nate wrote:

That whole thing about the tattoos and piercings is just plain stereotyping. I know of lots of good, peaceful, mellow people who have them. The knife thing I could understand. My mom carries a knife on her belt for protection, just in case but carrying something like that to a big family oriented place is just asking for trouble.

Ante Bellum wrote:
goldenspines wrote:Also, I find it very fortunate of you to witness only a "few" risque cosplayers, at Otakon, no less, one of the biggest anime conventions in the US.

The rest were all still in line.

lol XD
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I guess when I brought up the knife thing I didn't go into it enough. Back in the 70s many of the fire and EMS people carried folding Buck Knifes in sheathes on their belts. Most of them were under 6 inches blades. Sort of a trend thing back then. Today most would carry a Leatherman Tool sort of a Swiss Army Knife item. One reason most carry a knife or tool is because if you get entangled in falling material in a building you may have to cut your way out while calling for help.
ashfire

Return to General