Smashing News

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Re: Smashing News

Postby drill » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:26 pm

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/rosetta.html

Rosalina just got announced :D I might actually get the game now because of this announcement.
drill

Postby LupoRedgrave » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 pm

That is awesome news on Rosalina and Lumi joining the fun!
...Proverbs 4:18...
LupoRedgrave

Postby Masaru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Looks like DeDeDe's returning.. though that one isn't too much of a shocker, lol.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/dedede.html
Masaru

Postby SilverToast » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:23 pm

There's a documentary series on youtube about the competitive community of Super Smash Brothers Melee. It's called The Smash Brothers. It's really good and inspiring. I thought I would mention it here since it is smash related.
SilverToast

Postby LupoRedgrave » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:03 am

Lucario has returned. Although I do hope Mewtwo does come back or gets in an assist trophy...or a pokeball.
Palkia is now featured to come out of a pokeball and use Spacial Rend.
LupoRedgrave

Postby John_Smith » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 pm

LupoRedgrave wrote:Lucario has returned. Although I do hope Mewtwo does come back or gets in an assist trophy...or a pokeball.
Palkia is now featured to come out of a pokeball and use Spacial Rend.

I'd laugh if poor Mewtwo only came back in pokeball form. I actually expected them to drop Lucario and bring Mewtwo back, but apparently not.
Also we now have Little Mac. To be honest I'm a little afraid of this character. He looks both fast and powerful. Seems like he has no long range attacks and a poor jumping ability though.
John_Smith

Postby emmatheveritas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Gaaaahhhh! I've never played these before, but they look awesome. I hope I will buy the one for my 3DS soon. But for you RPGS fans! I think that Miyamoto is being insanely stubborn for not wanting Fawful and Cackletta in there just cause he didn't create them! I mean, come on! Fawful's vacuum helmet, maybe summoning Midbus, and for the Final Smash: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Dark Fawful would be Fawfully epic! And his taunts would be his adorable high-pitched Engrish phrases!
Cackletta would be great with her lightning, bottomless holes, cloning, and poisonous bats, too! But everybody's forgotten them. :waah!: Her taunts would be so awesome, and her laugh in Superstar Saga would be hilarious to hear in a new game. I know Cackletta appears on a sticker in Brawl, but she needs MOAR credit! Who's with me?
I have chortles yet FURY at Miyamoto-San! :bang:
Veritas out!
Hence, the longest signature on CAA!!
''I have fury! Finally, my entrance with drama!''-Fawful ''Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
''Why...whenever...fury...Fawful just wanted some kingdom conquering...but every time the mustaches come. Always in Fawful's way...alwaysalwaysalways''-Fawful Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
''Darkness cannot cover darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot cover hate; only love can.''-Martin Luther King Jr.
"SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!!"-Benny from The Lego Movie
"A closed door doesn't mean its a locked one"-Anais TAWO Gumball
emmatheveritas

Location: somewhere between my daydreams, the BeanBean Kingdom, and waiting for Heaven. =D

Postby Masaru » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am

emmatheveritas wrote: But for you RPGS fans! I think that Miyamoto is being insanely stubborn for not wanting Fawful and Cackletta in there just cause he didn't create them!

Unfortunately, Miyamoto is not the one developing this game, it's Masahiro Sakurai. Has he ever said anything like that though?
Although Miyamoto -has- been weird lately about wanting games to have minimal storyplot/characters not from the main Mario universe for whatever reason, which is why Sticker Star was so poorly received, and Alphadream had to fight to make Dream Team the way it is.. but I digress, lol.

I can appreciate everyone wanting their favorite character to be in the game, but most of the suggestions I see probably haven't been up for consideration.. it seems that especially this time around, a character needs to be pretty important in their franchise and/or in Nintendo history in general, with popularity also being a factor. (I say especially because it looks like Sakurai is aiming for little to no clones this time around, which probably means some cuts from Brawl.) The Mario universe especially has a lot of stiff competition; I'm honestly surprised Rosalina made it in (though I don't oppose the inclusion, I guess she's extremely popular for whatever reason, and seems like they've made her a pretty unique character). It's not impossible to see Fawful as an assist trophy though; we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Extremely hyped for Lucario also, he was my Brawl main and I'm glad to see him back, hopefully in a better game this time around. n:
Masaru

Postby John_Smith » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 am

Diddy Kong's back.

On Cackletta:
I had to look her up, which isn’t a good sign. Not that only the characters I know will appear, but if a layman like me doesn’t about character, then it’s unlikely.

On Rosalina: Masaru, that’s exactly my take on her. She seemed to getting popular before hand (showing up in Mario kart and what-not), and looks like that was enough for her to make it.

I've always wanted Digimon to appear in Smashbros, but alas! They've gone out of popularity and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.
John_Smith

Postby Masaru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am

So there's going to be a Nintendo Direct tonight (6 EST) focusing exclusively on the new Smash game.
I'm betting on at least one newcomer announcement, and Nintendo also promised a release window tonight as well 0:
Masaru

Postby Crossfire » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm guessing that if a new character is announced it'll be from a Namco game. At any rate, I've got stuff to do so I won't be able to watch the direct when it airs. Oh the suspense...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Still holding out for SNAAAAAAAAKE and Captain Falcon.
Crossfire

Postby Masaru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Here's the link to the Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... p5E#t=2298

Pretty cool stuff coming our way. o:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: rip pokemon trainer
Masaru

Postby Crossfire » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Well, that was underwhelming. The new challengers were... unexpected. In a very bad way. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though I remember everyone wanting Charizard back when Melee was released, so there's that I guess?

No sign of the Captain makes me worried that he didn't make the cut. Here's to hoping for a few more character announcements before the game is released...
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Link's still left-handed. I am content. I shouldn't have worried, but Skyward Sword just made me really nervous. Also, I would pay them large sums of money to do away with Zelda and just have Shiek, but that's never going to happen. Also also, no matter how much you explain it to me, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: fitness trainers is never going to make any sense to me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

This may be just my personal bias, but don't give up hope for the Captain just yet. The unlockable characters in Brawl weren't revealed on the website until after the game came out, and hopefully that's also the case here and they're just holding out to keep from spoiling that side of the lineup.
Davidizer13

Postby Masaru » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Davidizer13 wrote:This may be just my personal bias, but don't give up hope for the Captain just yet. The unlockable characters in Brawl weren't revealed on the website until after the game came out, and hopefully that's also the case here and they're just holding out to keep from spoiling that side of the lineup.

Yeah, that definitely could be the case too.. I completely forgot about that, lol.
My thinking so far has just been that I doubt that they would cut anybody that's been through all three other iterations; Sakurai can do what he wants obviously but I feel it's unlikely that any '64 veterans wouldn't make it.
Masaru

Postby LupoRedgrave » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:03 pm

I hope the original ones will stay: the characters from the very first one on the 64 - it wouldn't be a smash game without them! (it wouldn't be a smash without Captain Falcon!)
It has been awhile since I last checked - wow there are some surprises!

we have a new challenger!!! It is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Greninja!!! - who is laughing now Chespin! Fennekin!

Assist trophies are back!

About the 'Palkia coming out of a Pokeball" part.
There is a new type of ball: the MasterBall: and bursting out of them in a flash of white light - considering what they are mainly used on - LEGENDARY POKEMON come to the aid of your fighter.

No items! Fox only! Final Destination! as I believe the infamous saying is: Almost all stages now have a "Final Destination version", which is a flat version of the respective stage, without any platforms or stage hazards.

Online gameplay has been completely reworked, where players can choose between two new modes:
"For Fun": stage select is random (no Final Destination), all items available, Smash battles only (free for all up to 4 players), and only wins are recorded.
"For Glory": stage select is restricted to Final Destination, no items available, 1-1 battles possible, and both wins and loses are recorded.
- Additionally, players can customizes freely those rules when playing with friends

The "impact-launch" effect has been altered to a colored light trail indicating which player will receive the point should a KO occur. Additionally, a red/black effect will appear when a character is hit by a strong attack and/or has a high damage percentage, to indicate the character will likely be KO'd.
Most regular attacks now have special graphical effects to give them a more "agressive" feel, as if they are "cutting through air".
Some attacks have been adjusted to prevent a character's back from facing the screen.
Many of the characters' moves have been strengthened such as Marth's Shield Breaker and Link's Meteor Smash.
Characters with consecutive standard attacks, such as Fox's infinite kick, will always have a finishing move to end the combo. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Little Macwas the first character seen performing this, in his official reveal trailer.

Character transformations will be removed from the game; Zero Suit Samus and Sheik are now separate characters from Samus and Zelda.

The 3DS version will have an exclusive mode called "Smash Run", where up to four players can compete in two separate instances:
-The first one happens in a large maze, similar to the Great Maze from the Subspace Emissary mode seen in Brawl. Players can defeat enemies, who will drop specific power-ups that will greatly enhance the characters abilities, such as speed, jumping ability, normal attack power, special attack power, and throwing power. Being hit by enemies will also make the characters drop those power-ups. This match lasts for 5 minutes, and the goal is to collect as much power-ups as possible.

-The second one happens in a traditional brawl, where players will fight each other with their enhanced abilities.

Gliding for characters that could 'fly' in Brawl: Pit Charizard and Meta knight; that mechanic is gone.
Charizard is its own separate character due to the 'changing/transforming' trait having been removed.

Sorry if I've accidentally repeated something or forgotten something :(
LupoRedgrave

Postby Crossfire » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm also surprised that the 3DS version is releasing waaay ahead of the console. I expected a Fall release for the WiiU, not November/December. Ah well.

Tempted to pick up an XL now, so hopefully there will be some sort of SSB bundle during the summer.
Crossfire

Postby LupoRedgrave » Sun May 25, 2014 1:40 am

...we have our second Fire Emblem representative...

Taking his attire from Radiant Dawn...the Leader of the Greil Mercenaries has come to the frontline once again with Ragnell.

Ike. Is. Back.
LupoRedgrave

Postby Crossfire » Sun May 25, 2014 1:52 am

Laaaaaaame
Crossfire

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Cool, I'll have somebody I can pick up when we (eventually) get the game.

More faces out of the back catalog would be nice though.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby snowcatgrlX7 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:25 pm

LupoRedgrave wrote:...we have our second Fire Emblem representative...

Taking his attire from Radiant Dawn...the Leader of the Greil Mercenaries has come to the frontline once again with Ragnell.

Ike. Is. Back.

He's ripped now ^w^
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalms 23:4
snowcatgrlX7

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Mon May 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes! I love Ike. Glad he's back!

I love this game

Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Masaru » Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 pm

So we got a video today with some more details about the invitational tournament going on at E3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw

I don't know if anyone else here follows the competitive scene besides me but I'm glad to see they made some good picks for the players (and announcers!)
Incredibly hype announcement at the end too (imo at least).. I won't spoil it v:
Masaru

Postby Masaru » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 am

Captain Falcon is officially back now, guys O:
.. Along with a pair of FE characters. Will post the video when I get home tonight.

Here it is! http://youtu.be/N9ytrX0wweA
Masaru

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Poor Chrom. :(

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: THE CAPTAIN RETURNS YEEEEEESSSSSSS
Crossfire

Postby Okami » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:07 pm

So 3DS version is releasing next week (Oct 3)!

The demo is up, and what's playable makes me excited for the full release!~ :D

The only issue I currently have is that Pokemon Stadium is not a stage. I'm really hoping it's an unlockable or something. :bootout:
Okami

Postby Masaru » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 pm

So.. yeah whoo the 3DS version is out!!
Anyone else out there have it and want to Smash? v: Will post my 3DS code when I get the chance.

ALSO, probably one of the last updates info-wise before the Wii U version comes out.. Nintendo is going to be doing a Smash U Direct this Thursday, at 6PM EST. http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/10-23-2014/

Anything particular you guys are hoping for in this Direct? Personally, I'm pulling for some additional/DLC characters that could be added retroactively to the 3DS version (since Sakurai said he wants the rosters to be the same.. who knows if they'll even stick to that though, lol)
I'm interested in hearing about new modes as well, though.
Masaru

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews