Xbox 360 vs PS3

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Xbox 360 vs PS3

Postby Riggidig » Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 am

Ok, so I've had my Xbox 360 now for almost 6 months, but honestly, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did with my PS2. I recently played on a PS3 and I found that MUCH more enjoyable, so now I'm considering selling my 360 and getting one instead.

I was just curious: For those of you who own both systems, which one would you say would be a better bet for the casual gamer who prefers to do his gaming offline and mostly solo? Also which one do you prefer and why?
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Midori » Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am

I do not own both systems; I only own a PS3. Based on specs and features, I'd say the PS3 is definitely better, but recently Sony has been in a lot of trouble, both for consumer-rights issues and for their network having been hacked multiple times. So I guess I don't know.
Midori

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 am

Riggidig (post: 1481447) wrote:Ok, so I've had my Xbox 360 now for almost 6 months, but honestly, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did with my PS2. I recently played on a PS3 and I found that MUCH more enjoyable, so now I'm considering selling my 360 and getting one instead.

I was just curious: For those of you who own both systems, which one would you say would be a better bet for the casual gamer who prefers to do his gaming offline and mostly solo? Also which one do you prefer and why?

It really comes down to what exclusive games you want to play. If you like Uncharted, go for PS3, if you like Halo, go for XBOX. The system and hardware itself generally won't determine how much you enjoy a system, it will be the games.*

*I originally bought my PS3 for the exclusive games, but since I don't play too many games these days, the extra functionality of the PS3 as a blu-ray player has made it the only modern console left in my house.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Seto_Sora » Fri May 27, 2011 12:04 pm

I own a PS3 and have only played XBox. if its controller layout, then I'd go with PS3... but in the end that just turns out to be a learning curve thing and a personal preference. Midory is spot on about the specs and Cognitive hits it with the multi-functionality. But here is the thing I've learned about the PS3 vs. the XBox; Games. If you are going from XBox to PS3 then you'll run into the fact that PS3 doesn't actually have that many games available compared to the XBox and even the Wii. But again Cognitive did state the simple fact that PS3 has its exclusive games that are worth it in and of themselves. Hope that helps man.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 pm

I have owned 3 ps3's and 1 360. The 360 has way better games. PS3 is finally getting more good games, but honestly i like my 360 much better
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Riggidig » Fri May 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Hmmm, you guys all have valid points. I think I should actually go and see what type of games are available for the PS3 then compare it to the 360. If only the slim PS3 was still backwards compatible with the PS2. I really liked the games on that system. Would have made my mind up in a milisecond. Oh well...

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Roberts » Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Riggidig (post: 1481492) wrote:I think I should actually go and see what type of games are available for the PS3 then compare it to the 360.
Do this.

Biases aside, I don't really understand where people are getting the idea that the 360 has more games (or even better games) than the PS3. In my own experience, as a person that owns all three current gen consoles, the PS3 has been ahead in the total number of quality games since at least early 2010.

But again, as has been said, you're better to investigate what games you might want from each system, and form your own opinion.
Roberts

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 am

Personally, I'd go for both if possible.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Riggidig » Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1481603) wrote:Personally, I'd go for both if possible.

Shao Matthew 6:24 comes to mind :-) Also I'm looking at moving out on my own soon, so I won't be able to afford both.

Riggidig

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat May 28, 2011 6:13 am

In my experience, I've went through a lot more use on my 360 than my PS3. Only lately have I been playing my PS3 and that's for L.A. Noire. Granted a lot of games are now cross-platform, but my 360 was primarily used for Bioshock and the Fallout games. Of course they both eventually got ported anyway.

So really it doesn't matter. There are only a few good exclusives anyway. PS3 has Uncharted and the 360 has.... uhm... nothing.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby solidray2002 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 am

Definitely the Ps3!
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 am

Meh, PS3 IMO. My brother has both and I've kind of latched onto the PS3... It has the better exclusives too IMO. I think if you like playing online, the 360 doesn't lag as much. But still prefer the PS3.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Okami » Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 am

We own a PS3, but it rarely gets used. In comparison, there are two 360s in the house that get used close to daily, definitely weekly (I'm often so caught up with my online life that I forget that I've got video games to play. :sweat: ) The Fable series is enough for me to enjoy on the xbox, and it's probably the game I use the most to "get away" :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 28, 2011 11:49 am

360 doesn't have games I'm interested in, but neither does PS3. At least the PS3 functions as a Blu-ray player and a device with which to stream Netflix.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews