Should I sell my Xbox 360 and buy a gaming PC instead?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Should I sell my Xbox 360 and buy a gaming PC instead?

Postby Riggidig » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 am

I currently own an Xbox 360 as well as a crummy 5 year old PC. I have to be honest and say that I am not enjoying my Xbox 360 as much as I did my PS2 I sold last year. Maybe it's because I used to be able to lie on my bed and play my PS2 games on my 29" standard definition TV, while, with my Xbox 360 I have to sit at my computer desk and play it on my 23" computer monitor (I can't make out the text on the standard def TV you see), like I used to with my computer games (back when my setup could still handle them).

I have been thinking: Since the Xbox 360 and PC share a lot of similar titles, should I rather sell my Xbox 360 and get a new gaming PC? Would I also be able to download games for a PC like with the Xbox LIVE Marketplace? Feedback appreciated :)
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Syreth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:40 am

I'm probably not the BEST person to answer this question, but I'll take a shot.

If it's simply a matter of not being able to play while lying in bed that's keeping you from enjoying your Xbox 360, then perhaps buying a better TV would be a better solution. Gaming PC's can get pretty pricey, so you might even save some money buying a new TV instead. Of course, this is all assuming that resolution issues are the ONLY reason you're looking to switch to a gaming PC. If there are other reasons to be considered, then buying a new TV might not be the best choice.

Another thing to keep in mind, as stated earlier, is that gaming PC's are expensive. You'll probably have to shell out a few hundred dollars at least on top of whatever cash you can get from selling your Xbox360, which you'll most likely have to sell at a loss. The difference between the selling price of your Xbox360 and what you've already paid for it is basically a sunk cost, so that's something to keep in mind.

What I would do -- make a list of benefits and drawbacks of buying a gaming PC, and do a bit of pricing research on both used Xbox 360's and gaming PC's.
Syreth

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Riggidig (post: 1475087) wrote:
Would I also be able to download games for a PC like with the Xbox LIVE Marketplace?

There are a multitude of places to DL games from for a PC, including Steam and Good Old Games.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Riggidig » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Syreth (post: 1475145) wrote:I'm probably not the BEST person to answer this question, but I'll take a shot.

If it's simply a matter of not being able to play while lying in bed that's keeping you from enjoying your Xbox 360, then perhaps buying a better TV would be a better solution. Gaming PC's can get pretty pricey, so you might even save some money buying a new TV instead. Of course, this is all assuming that resolution issues are the ONLY reason you're looking to switch to a gaming PC. If there are other reasons to be considered, then buying a new TV might not be the best choice.

Another thing to keep in mind, as stated earlier, is that gaming PC's are expensive. You'll probably have to shell out a few hundred dollars at least on top of whatever cash you can get from selling your Xbox360, which you'll most likely have to sell at a loss. The difference between the selling price of your Xbox360 and what you've already paid for it is basically a sunk cost, so that's something to keep in mind.

What I would do -- make a list of benefits and drawbacks of buying a gaming PC, and do a bit of pricing research on both used Xbox 360's and gaming PC's.

Thanks. I'll take what you said into consideration, especially the pros and the cons part.

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't know how much things cost in South Africa, but in the US an HDTV would definitely be cheaper than a gaming PC. Gaming PCs cost about $1000 and an HDTV only costs maybe $300-500 depending on what kind you get.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Here's another question you should ask yourself. Since your computer is crummy as you say, are you thinking about purchasing/building a new PC anyway? If so then it might be more advantageous to sell the 360 and have some extra cash to put towards a new PC anyway. Also, if you go with a custom build you can make a gaming PC for quite a bit less than what you'd have to pay to a pre-fab company like Hewlett Packard or DELL.
Xeno

Postby Riggidig » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Xeno (post: 1475200) wrote:Here's another question you should ask yourself. Since your computer is crummy as you say, are you thinking about purchasing/building a new PC anyway? If so then it might be more advantageous to sell the 360 and have some extra cash to put towards a new PC anyway. Also, if you go with a custom build you can make a gaming PC for quite a bit less than what you'd have to pay to a pre-fab company like Hewlett Packard or DELL.

Xeno, for the last 2 years now I've been considering buying myself a new PC, but every time I thought about it, I realised that I just don't use my PC for anything much besides browings, emails, chatting, listening to music... menial things that don't require a strong computer. Hence why I've put it off every time.

However, the last while I have been thinking of the advantages of getting a new PC and making THAT my main source of gaming. The main reason behind my decision is my friend, who lives in Cape Town about 90 min away, sometimes comes back to his home town (where I currently live). He then brings his whole computer along, hooks it up to his mom's 40" Phillips Full HD TV and usually has a new game to show. Recently he showed me Batman Arkahm Asylum and the game looks AWESOME, much like his other games he's showed me.

I know though that a gaming PC will really cost a bit (here in South Africa I can get a decent size 32" HD TV for less than a new gaming PC), even if I have it custom made at the PC shop I've been doing my upgrades/fixes for the last 5 years. I'm just not sure what to do at the moment, but if I DO choose to go the route of buying a new PC for gaming I won't be getting one soon I can tell you that, cause I'm kindof broke. Maybe I should just buy a PS2 again and play that on my TV again. Good times those were, and much less expensive and complicated too :lol:

Riggidig

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews