Want to see a new console maker

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Want to see a new console maker

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Since it looks like Sony Computer may be going down because of some hackers, I don't like the idea of MS and Nintendo being alone in the Console race. I hope for some new blood. The next company that makes a system that:

• Competes with its peers technologically
  • Doesn't ban religious material
  • Allows mods on games when game devs want there to be (a la UT3 on PS3)
  • Is region free (this doesn't even apply to PCs entirely)
  • Has technology that's mostly set in stone for a generation (so... not PCs, in other words, because constantly upgrading hardware is annoying...)

That's the system I'll root for.If MS or Nintendo did all of this, I'd become their fans. As it stands, there may be no one that is all of these things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

The closest thing I know to what you're looking for is the GP2X, an open-source Korean handheld that's primarily made for emulation. It's not meant as a direct competitor to the other handhelds, and it's basically based on piracy, but it's got a few of your requirements. It's also surprisingly cheap - they're charging $150 for the latest version, which, from the specs, seems a few times more powerful than the other handhelds. Now that I really look at it, I'm seriously considering getting one.

There's also OnLive, which...well...yeah. The concept's interesting, but the whole cloud system thing and not owning your games doesn't sit well with me in case of a Sony-class fiasco.

Yeah, at this point, the three players in the market are sufficiently entrenched so that nobody else can get in. Of course, that's what they said when Microsoft announced the Xbox, but I don't see any other companies making a drive to breaking into the market right now.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 am

Bobtheduck wrote:Has technology that's mostly set in stone for a generation (so... not PCs, in other words, because constantly upgrading hardware is annoying...)

If you're hoping for that, you may as well quit video games entirely. I hate it too, but like it or not, system updates for hardware is the standard nowadays for game consoles. It allows companies to easily restrict customer rights...and occasionally, provide useful patches and whatnot. All three major systems are doing the upgrade thing, and I guarantee you none of them are going to stop.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:52 am

Nate (post: 1475035) wrote:If you're hoping for that, you may as well quit video games entirely. I hate it too, but like it or not, system updates for hardware is the standard nowadays for game consoles. It allows companies to easily restrict customer rights...and occasionally, provide useful patches and whatnot. All three major systems are doing the upgrade thing, and I guarantee you none of them are going to stop.

I second that. Sony and Microsoft are constantly upgrading their consoles. Nintendo just comes out with new ones.
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 am

I'm guessing you don't own a Wii, but Nintendo does it too, I remember being denied access to the Wii Shop Channel a couple of times because I hadn't downloaded the latest system update for the Wii.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 am

I don't own one :sweat:

From what I see nintendo has always made new systems instead of upgrading, but I guess that changed...
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Riggidig » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

IMPO Sega used to be one of the stronger, if not the strongest contenders. I think they just had some bad luck (mostly regarding marketing) with the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Those were awesome systems (I chose and bought each one over the PS ONE and the PS2). They'll PROBABLY never get back into the hardware scene unfortunately...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 am

Riggidig (post: 1475112) wrote:IMPO Sega used to be one of the stronger, if not the strongest contenders. I think they just had some bad luck (mostly regarding marketing) with the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Those were awesome systems (I chose and bought each one over the PS ONE and the PS2). They'll PROBABLY never get back into the hardware scene unfortunately...

Unfortunately those systems never became too popular...Sega only makes games now.
broly146

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am

Is Sony really at risk of going down because of this? Seems like an over-reaction to me, but I suppose it's possible. In my experience consumers tend to have a very short memory.

Anyways, in general I would actually rather that MS and Nintendo be the only players, rather than anyone else jump in right now. In my best case scenario, the third competitor gap is filled with products designed to allow for easier PC gaming from the comfort of your living room.
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I'd like to see some fresh faces in the console race, but it's probably not going to happen.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:02 pm

at least not for some years down the line
broly146

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1475005) wrote:The closest thing I know to what you're looking for is the GP2X, an open-source Korean handheld that's primarily made for emulation. It's not meant as a direct competitor to the other handhelds, and it's basically based on piracy, but it's got a few of your requirements. It's also surprisingly cheap - they're charging $150 for the latest version, which, from the specs, seems a few times more powerful than the other handhelds. Now that I really look at it, I'm seriously considering getting one.

I REALLY want a GP2X, but I'm waiting about 2 models for it to AT LEAST be on par with a PSP (preferably on par with 3ds, without the 2 screens and 3d which are things I don't want anyhow) The most recent one was finally starting to be viable, but it needs more buttons, darn it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews