The Cake is a Lie...

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

The Cake is a Lie...

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:43 am

Is there anyone else here other than Al and I who are looking forward to Portal 2 with eager anticipation? I don't mean like regular anticipation, I mean like we practically can't wait and feel April 19th can't come soon enough!!?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:21 am

Well... I'm anticipating it very much... I don't know if I'm quite THAT excited about it... but for me to be anticipating a game is saying something since I hardly play games at all. And usually I just play little DS games. But I will be borrowing my brothers ps3 for this... loved the first one.

There is no point crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. And the science gets done and you make a neat gun for the people that are... still alive!
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 am

*looks at the title of this thread*

...yes. Yes, I can wait for it. I can wait for it for the rest of eternity. And the title of this thread is why. I expect Portal 2 will have a thousand "HERP DERP CAKE" jokes just to appease annoying fanboys and then I'll have to hear them repeat the same stupid unfunny phrase a billion times on the internet in a vain attempt to make people love them.

I hope the source code for Portal 2 gets deleted accidentally and is unrecoverable and that it will never be released. That is my dream. My fantasy.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:24 am

Nate (post: 1467120) wrote:*looks at the title of this thread*

...yes. Yes, I can wait for it. I can wait for it for the rest of eternity. And the title of this thread is why. I expect Portal 2 will have a thousand "HERP DERP CAKE" jokes just to appease annoying fanboys and then I'll have to hear them repeat the same stupid unfunny phrase a billion times on the internet in a vain attempt to make people love them.

I hope the source code for Portal 2 gets deleted accidentally and is unrecoverable and that it will never be released. That is my dream. My fantasy.

What if the writer for Portal 2 was sick of that joke? Would you be cool with that?

Because he is.
blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 am

ooh, April? That makes three games I'm looking forward too this year! And I thought it was going to be a draught year.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 am

I hope there are no cake jokes in this game... I am tired to death of it, especially since I only played the game about a year after the jokes got old, which made the end of the game sort of eye rolling, rather than funny.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:18 am

"If you thought you were sick of the memes, I was sick of it way ahead of you," he told Gamasutra. "For instance, cake. I've had enough cake jokes."

Give this man a raise.

Nate

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 am

Give this man a raise.

Hey, no cake jokes! XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Portal 2 is one of the few games I'm looking forward to. Other than the return of GladOS (*happy screams*), I'm interested in the co-op part of the game. It should be great to play with a sibling or friend. :D
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:37 pm

I am excited, but i am with the group of people who got really sick of "the cake is a lie" mems. Undoubtly the game will spawn another annoying mem that i hope its not as annoying as that blasted cake.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 am

Actually, I'm really excited that they aren't going to do the cake meme. That would irritate me. Not because I don't like the joke, I still find it funny, but simply for the fact that I read the plot summery of the story and it wouldn't really allow for that joke unless it was forced in. Now I can say I'm not excited for the game because of some joke; rather, i have two reasons to eagerly anticipate this game... no, three actually. One is that its a puzzle fest and I LOVE puzzle games! Two would be that there is an awesome co-op for my brother and I to play together (finally!). And three is quite simply; GladOS! XD She is the star of Portal and the one character I look forward to seeing again! Even if she does say I'm a monster.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1467184) wrote:Hey, no cake jokes! XP

hahahahah!

I'm really looking forward to it. I knew about the cake thing before hand, but I didn't know the context, and it was still funny when I played through. The cake thing was more than just the "cake is a lie" graffiti, though. It was also the "recipe" that one of the GladOS modules kept spouting, and the fact that [spoiler]there really is cake at the end... [/spoiler] The game was funny from... Well, not beginning to end... From a little bit past the beginning to end, though.

There was a lot of great stuff in that game, and I'm looking forward to the second one, but more to steamworks coming to PS3... I hope they do something useful with it... Timely Updates and *crosses fingers* MODS... More the mods than the updates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Scarecrow » Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

So... what does everyone think of it now that it's been out for a number of weeks now?

I love it. The two player game is quite fun. But hard, if you're playing online. Trying to work it out with the other person over a mic.

And single player is a blast as well. GLaDOS is also much more humorous I think here. Such dry sarcasm. I busted out laughing a few times. Loving the additional puzzle element with the bouncy blue paint/goo. Freshens it up a bit so it doesn't feel you're doing ALL the same stuff from the original.

And no cake... I seriously thought for a second there though, when you're going through the destroyed areas from the first game, you were going to find the cake that was in that room at the very end of the last game. No cake though.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Tue May 17, 2011 2:11 pm

I think I'm already sick of it despite never playing it. Each time a person quotes something from this game, it only strengthens my resolve to never touch it.

Nate

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 pm

I like it!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I've played it and loved it. The co-op was a lot of fun for my sister and brother and me. And the single-player campaign is awesome. I like Wheatley. I really, really like Wheatley. And of course GlaDOS.
[spoiler]...particularly as a potato. XD[/spoiler]
I loved the characters, the puzzles, the writing, the ending, everything.
[spoiler]Also, at the end, did the thing with the singing turrets make any sense... to anybody? XD[/spoiler]

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Garland » Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I enjoyed Portal 2. I haven't been able to do much co-op yet, but I did enjoy the new objects and the interesting puzzles.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby TheMewster » Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 am

I have honestly never played portal and I don't have a ps3, but there are a lot of mikumikudance videos with Portal quotes that got me interested....
That's you! That's how dumb you sound!
God bless.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed May 18, 2011 5:19 pm

TheMewster (post: 1479772) wrote:That's you! That's how dumb you sound!
God bless.

...Thanks? XDDD]Sorry I just thought that combination was funny. >_>;[/SIZE]

FllMtl Novelist

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1479699) wrote:[spoiler]Also, at the end, did the thing with the singing turrets make any sense... to anybody? XD[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Supposedly you run across some of them earlier in the game in one of the hidden areas. The lyrics are also supposed to be meaningful, but I havn't seen a translation of it yet.[/spoiler]

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1479893) wrote:[spoiler]Supposedly you run across some of them earlier in the game in one of the hidden areas. The lyrics are also supposed to be meaningful, but I havn't seen a translation of it yet.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Okay, thanks. I'll have to play through again and do more poking around this time.[/spoiler]

FllMtl Novelist

Postby ADXC » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 am

ADXC

Postby Peanut » Tue May 24, 2011 12:17 pm

You know what I loved about Portal 2. How unquotable it was. I loved the fact that the writing was still pretty good (and funny) but that not all of the lines couldn't be taken and quoted (or paraphrased) ad nauseum until Portal 3 came out. It's made the game much more enjoyable since I don't have to watch it be ruined for everyone else.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Nate » Tue May 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Peanut wrote:You know what I loved about Portal 2. How unquotable it was. I loved the fact that the writing was still pretty good (and funny) but that not all of the lines couldn't be taken and quoted (or paraphrased) ad nauseum until Portal 3 came out.

Ha ha ha, wrong. You know how many times I've had to deal with idiots quoting that stupid Space Core for minutes on end? That's one of the reasons why I'm never playing this game.

Nate

Postby Peanut » Tue May 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Nate (post: 1480911) wrote:Ha ha ha, wrong. You know how many times I've had to deal with idiots quoting that stupid Space Core for minutes on end? That's one of the reasons why I'm never playing this game.

A few lines is still better then the entire script. Portal's entire script was quoted ad nauseum. Portal 2 can't really have that done to it...well it could but it wouldn't be very funny or make a lot of sense.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Slater » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 pm

[spoiler]I'm in space.[/spoiler]
Slater

Postby raider~joseph » Wed May 25, 2011 4:46 am

Hillarious...the game made me laugh so hard. The science projects(Peanut water.Pure genius.) made me fall down I was laughing so hard.I almost lost the wheatly battle because of space core's jokes.But one thing still echoes in my head.

"I used to want you dead but now I only want you gone."
Sad...
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Raider~Joseph, you should probably put some of that in spoiler tags. Chances are most people who walk into this thread have already played the game or know much of the plot, but there's nothing warning against untagged spoilers. >_>;

Also, I laughed at ADXC's post. XD

And yeah, Portal 2 is plenty quotable.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 am

I LOVED this game!!! XD It is definitely in my top five games ever made... ever! I just wished it didn't have to end. I'm glad it did! Its just like the perfect work of canvas that you just can't stop staring at! Oh how I love this game!

My favorite character was...
[spoiler]...Cave Johnson. And pretty much everything he said was my favorite quotable line in the game![/spoiler]
And for those of you who don't like it for the quotable lines, you should play the game anyway (if not for the side-splitting humor) for the gorgeous environments. Seriously, I sat there just staring at all the detail. I couldn't pull myself away!

Also, for my portal hommies, explore this link for the answers to who it was that was living in the paneling and wrote on the walls:

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic

And valve is giving the soundtrack to the game away completely free! XD

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Slater » Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 pm

This picture is not a lie. http://instagr.am/p/Cr02G/

I stopped off at the Powell Station (BART) the other day to refill my Clipper card and do a bit of shopping, and to my surprise the whole upper half of the station is dedicated to nothing other than Portal 2 advertisements like this one.
Slater

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews