3DS is region-locked

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

3DS is region-locked

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

The Nintendo 3DS will feature region locking, preventing gamers from importing games - something which was possible on previous Nintendo handhelds.

Confirmation of the region restrictions came via an email from Nintendo of Japan support (translated by a NeoGAF member).

The Nintendo 3DS is expected to launch in Europe this March, with firm launch plans set to be revealed at a press event on January 19.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_3ds_is_region_locked.html

NINTENDO Y U DO DIS
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby abbyjenna » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

that stinks!
abbyjenna

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, this is rather disappointing, but I can't say that I'm surprised.
Cloud500

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 pm

DSi was also region locked. I think it's interesting that Sony went the other way, and made the PS3 region free (which bucked the trend that Nintendo and MS and Sony had followed before that with consoles)

I hope PS4 and PSP2 are region free. Not banking on anything, though. Decisions that those console companies make have little to nothing to do with what I want in general, that's for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm

I am not pleased. Where is my hyper beam cannon?
Hiryu

Postby Lilac#18 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

[color="Plum"]That sucks. Why'd they do that, wouldn't that hurt their sales?[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Why would they do that? Being able to get games earlier from Japan only benefits those who can read/speak Japanese...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Honestly, this isn't about getting games from Japan to the US, it's about getting American games into Europe to circumvent higher prices + Luxury taxes. They're not punishing Americans who are into Japanese stuff, they're punishing Europeans wanting to save money or not wanting to wait as long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1451150) wrote:Honestly, this isn't about getting games from Japan to the US, it's about getting American games into Europe to circumvent higher prices + Luxury taxes. They're not punishing Americans who are into Japanese stuff, they're punishing Europeans wanting to save money or not wanting to wait as long.

This is exactly what it's about. It's sad, because I have seen more than a few europeans on message boards talk about all of the games they would not have been able to play if not for the ability to import from America. I imagine that they will now end up resorting to piracy. :/
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

They're not punishing Americans who are into Japanese stuff, they're punishing Europeans wanting to save money or not wanting to wait as long.

That's still stupid.

I imagine that they will now end up resorting to piracy. :/

Or modding.
Hiryu

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 am

Hiryu (post: 1451163) wrote:That's still stupid.

I agree. I'm just saying there's a business reason to do it. It's no good for consumers, but it has an instant business benefit to Nintendo's retail partners and, to a lesser extent, to the various agencies that govern entertainment and electronics in Europe.
Bobtheduck

Postby Sparx00 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:43 am

My condolences to those who live in Europe. :(
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1451150) wrote:They're not punishing Americans who are into Japanese stuff, they're punishing Europeans wanting to save money or not wanting to wait as long.

Oh. Good thing I'm not in Europe.
Shao Feng-Li

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews