The World is ending and here is the proof...(DmC)

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1426320) wrote:I never understand that logic. If something isn't doing as well as you want it why change so much about it and try to pass it off as the same? You're only going to alienate the original fans and since it's still going by the same name the people you want to buy it are just as likely to pass it off, Granted that may be why they're going with the title "DMC".

I'll play the demo and maybe rent or borrow it from someone and give it its just dues, but since Capcom (Whom I love) felt like slapping me with this, to hades with'em. I just pray they don't have FPS action in the next Street Fighter.

Reboots also tend to bring with them a strong similarity in theme and genre. There will likely be sweeping gameplay changes (Things they couldn't have gotten away with in the first DMC series) but it will still at it's core play like a DMC game. Similarly, the thematic elements of the story will likely be very similar as well, while allowing them to make any changes they want as creators to keep the story "fresh."
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 am

Chosen Raven (post: 1426225) wrote:Of course he can fight. He's half demon. This is about the design change. And how he looks like a pansy. FRUSSSSTRATIOOOOONNN!.

Oh geez. I just realized that the first post was sarcasm. I was seriously racking my brain trying to figure out how you could call the old Dante a emo, transvestite, or meth addict. Now I understand.

I do admit the new guy looks wimpier, but that still doesn't limit his BA potential.

Also, transvestites are really really bad you guys.
There may be some pop culture reference I am missing here, but taking that statement directly, I am going to have to disagree. Some transvestites really are trying to match their body appropriately to their brain structure. This can happen when they are born with both, uh, genders and the doctor has to decide if they are a boy or a girl. He might make them into a girl when their brain thinks its a boy or vice versus.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:20 am

ich1990 (post: 1426382) wrote:There may be some pop culture reference I am missing here, but taking that statement directly, I am going to have to disagree. Some transvestites really are trying to match their body appropriately to their brain structure. This can happen when they are born with both, uh, genders and the doctor has to decide if they are a boy or a girl. He might make them into a girl when their brain thinks its a boy or vice versus.

Let's not go there. While I agree that's the case with hermaphrodites and it certainly isn't bad but that's not always the case and I'd rather not see the discussion go down that road.

I seriously don't know how he looks like a tranny though. Unless someone was just using that as an insult and have never actually seen a tranny before.

Or they meant it's a female gone male tranny then that's pretty h-
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:49 am

ich1990 (post: 1426382) wrote:There may be some pop culture reference I am missing here, but taking that statement directly, I am going to have to disagree. Some transvestites really are trying to match their body appropriately to their brain structure. This can happen when they are born with both, uh, genders and the doctor has to decide if they are a boy or a girl. He might make them into a girl when their brain thinks its a boy or vice versus.

That was sarcasm on my part. I don't care if guys want to dress like girls or vice versa. There are far worse things a person can do.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Solid Ronin wrote:I never understand that logic. If something isn't doing as well as you want it why change so much about it and try to pass it off as the same? You're only going to alienate the original fans and since it's still going by the same name the people you want to buy it are just as likely to pass it off, Granted that may be why they're going with the title "DMC".

They've done it with Final Fantasy for YEARS. No Final Fantasy game has been exactly the same as another. They all have different magic systems, weapon systems, ability systems, and so on. Yes, you get the people (like me) who say "This just isn't a Final Fantasy game!" Remember me saying that about 13? I still stand behind it. But guess what? It still sold like hotcakes despite all the vocal fans complaining about it.

Because ultimately, the fans of the series, even if they feel betrayed, will usually give in and play it in the end. Hey, I did it with 12. Remember when I said I'd never play 12 because it was stupid and the game plays itself and all that? And guess what? I ended up buying it after all and playing it.

Now I still haven't played 13 (and never will), but my point is that usually while they lose some fans from it, they gain enough new ones that it evens out and sometimes even does better.

Also, usually fans cling onto something other than visual aesthetic as to why a game isn't "x." For me with XIII, it was a lot of gameplay stuff that turned me off to it. Admittedly, I did say "No way I'm done with this game" as soon as I saw the Transformers summons, but had the game played similarly to past installments, I would've bought it eventually despite that.

Now occasionally you will get the rare game that alienates everybody...such as say, Bomberman: Act Zero. But this usually doesn't do too much damage to the game's reputation. I mean...you and most of the other DMC fans here bought DMC 3 and 4 after you played 2, right? That's what I mean by brand loyalty. You can make a crap game and fans will still usually buy it, and be mad, but usually buy the next game anyway because they're brand loyal.

Sonic has been doing it for years.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yukio Masachita » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:34 pm

I was a bit shocked to see Dante's new look but I'm beginning to like it.
It feels more realistic somehow and the hint at what the storyline is gonna be (Blurring between Good and Evil) seems to suit well around Dante, him being a blur between human and demon.
Yukio Masachita

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Now occasionally you will get the rare game that alienates everybody...such as say, Bomberman: Act Zero. But this usually doesn't do too much damage to the game's reputation. I mean...you and most of the other DMC fans here bought DMC 3 and 4 after you played 2, right? That's what I mean by brand loyalty. You can make a crap game and fans will still usually buy it, and be mad, but usually buy the next game anyway because they're brand loyal.

Good point. I'll exit this thread now, leaving a part of my faith in Capcom .... I swear if they screw up Legends 3...
Solid Ronin

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews