The World is ending and here is the proof...(DmC)

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

The World is ending and here is the proof...(DmC)

Postby Chosen Raven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Isn't the new Dante AWESOME guys!!?? He totally doesn't look like a meth-addicted-emo-transvestite! Not at all! Clearly Capcom knows what they're doing by completely redesigning an iconic character who's been around for years and has 4 games under his belt!(3 of which were good even!) They even changed the look of the game itself!(look for the trailer online!) Since so many liked the design of the previous games, the obvious choice was to go in a different direction! A reboot as it were! And if you don't think so, you, sir, are a rabid fanboy.
......:bang:
The Devil's gonna get his....
Chosen Raven

Location: Texas. That's the best danged state in the union to you, bub.

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Dante?

I thought it was some weird Harry Potter fan art.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby lionheart » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Watching the trailer made me sick... Devil May Cry 3, 1, and 4 were some of my favorite games ever. :'( The photo alone makes me feel like I have to clean hobo germs off my monitor...
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Sure it isn't meant to be a prequel? 'Cause that's exactly what it looks like to me, not that I've played any DMC yet, but he looks considerably younger than Dante's older design even in the trailer. I can't seem to get any info on it other than "it's a reboot" which could mean several things.

Vidja gamer rage is always fun though, I guess, especially when it's judging a game before it's even out yet.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Chosen Raven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1426007) wrote:Sure it isn't meant to be a prequel? 'Cause that's exactly what it looks like to me, not that I've played any DMC yet, but he looks considerably younger than Dante's older design even in the trailer. I can't seem to get any info on it other than "it's a reboot" which could mean several things.

Well, a reboot typically means a fresh start, totally ignoring what came before. And, DMC3 had a young Dante as the main character. Looked nothing like this.

Vidja gamer rage is always fun though, I guess, especially when it's judging a game before it's even out yet.

I don't recall anybody complaining about the gameplay and whatnot. Could have the best gameplay of any game that has ever existed. Doesn't change the fact that most who have played the previous games think this is a horrible turn of events from a design and story standpoint. Seeing the design change and knowing it's a reboot is all the info we need to make a judgement about those aspects of the game. Course, I guess you may not understand this, since you've never played any of the previous DMC games.
Chosen Raven

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:32 am

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1426007) wrote:Vidja gamer rage is always fun though, I guess, especially when it's judging a game before it's even out yet.

There are times that it's warranted beyond a shadow of a doubt, or at the very least facepalming is...

Such as turning a game known for its elaborate controller into a arm waving, controller free game... Yeah, facepalm. Had it just been Mechwarrior, which can vary from game to game, then OK, but Steel freaking Battalion... So much of their problem would be solved by changing the name... Of course, that may be the angle Ninja Theory took with this, heh, too bad it didn't work.

This being a prequal before the other games, this could explain how Dante stops looking like a (various words I could used but not on CAA) and turns into a bad-a## instead. All we are saying... is give D (mc) a chance. Or not.

Ninja Theory already made a game in this genre, and while I liked it, it was most definitely not the same game, and while I doubt it will be Heavenly Emo Pistols this time around, I doubt they're gonna make it feel the way THIS series should feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:35 am

Chosen Raven (post: 1426022) wrote:Seeing the design change and knowing it's a reboot is all the info we need to make a judgement about those aspects of the game.

That's some poor judgement then.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 am

Maybe it's because I don't have a deep investment in this series that I'm not perturbed by the total 360 the reboot is taking with the character.

I'm also not seeing the transvestite angle.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm

I don't know anything about DMC but that guy in that picture up there looks pretty BA to me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Furen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 pm

he he, he looks kinda cool but I've never played DMC or anything
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1426093) wrote:I don't know anything about DMC but that guy in that picture up there looks pretty BA to me.

For a skinny emo-looking little git he definitely looks like you'd regret calling him a transvestite.

Or emo.

Actually, haircut aside he looks more like someone in the punk scene got roughed up. Probably got in a fight with some lumberjack plaid wearing hipster demons and taught them the errors of their ways.

My question is, who decided to let him smoke in the police station?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Well, look at the guy. Would YOU try to take his nicotine away from him? I wouldn't.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:57 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1426104) wrote:Well, look at the guy. Would YOU try to take his nicotine away from him? I wouldn't.

ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1426105) wrote:Image

</thread>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ich1990 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:52 pm

I could go either way with the new look. On one hand, Hobo Dante sounds like it could be piles of fun. On the other, there was really nothing wrong with the BA level of the previous one.

Oh, and I don't see how he is anything close to being a transvestite and neither have I ever seen meth addicts so ripped. And emo people don't act like this. (moderate violence warning)

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1426081) wrote:Maybe it's because I don't have a deep investment in this series that I'm not perturbed by the total 360 the reboot is taking with the character.
Ho, ho.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 pm

ich1990 (post: 1426165) wrote:Ho, ho.

Yeah, even my intentionals are good today...
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Chosen Raven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1426073) wrote:That's some poor judgement then.

You gotta be kidding me. So, actually seeing the design change isn't enough to decide if one likes the change or not. Whatever, mang. :shake:

And where in the heck are you guys getting that this dude is ripped. Ya guys even check out the trailer? He's rail thin....If he wasn't half demon, random jocks would pick on him for fun. If you guys think this guy looks bad...ace, there's nothin' I can do about that. Except strongly disagree ><

Maybe it's because I don't have a deep investment in this series that I'm not perturbed by the total 360 the reboot is taking with the character.

I don't know anything about DMC but that guy in that picture up there looks pretty BA to me.

he he, he looks kinda cool but I've never played DMC or anything

.....Of course you guys don't care about this. You're not even fans of the series......
Chosen Raven

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Actually the amount of muscle mass doesn't necessarily correlate with the ability to kick butt. So he's scrawny. Doesn't mean he can't take some names. Also he's half-demon anyways so it kinda doesn't matter right?

[SIZE="1"]Also, transvestites are really really bad you guys.[/SIZE]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Chosen Raven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Actually the amount of muscle mass doesn't necessarily correlate with the ability to kick butt. So he's scrawny. Doesn't mean he can't take some names. Also he's half-demon anyways so it kinda doesn't matter right?

Of course he can fight. He's half demon. This is about the design change. And how he looks like a pansy. FRUSSSSTRATIOOOOONNN!

Also, transvestites are really really bad you guys.

Hahaha, okay, okay I get it.
Chosen Raven

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm

ITT:

BUT SONIC HAS BROWN EYES NOT GREEN EYES HIS SHOES DON'T HAVE GOLD BUCKLES SEGA HAS RUINED SONIC FOREVER

But maybe I'm being hypocritical because I gave up on DMC when I got to the end of the first game and wondered why it suddenly became a space shooter when it had been an action adventure game before that and then it turned into a 3D platformer at some point too.

I don't see what's so bad about this game unless it rises to Other M-style levels of character destruction but we won't know if it does until it comes out so...yeah.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Chosen Raven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:19 pm

BUT SONIC HAS BROWN EYES NOT GREEN EYES HIS SHOES DON'T HAVE GOLD BUCKLES SEGA HAS RUINED SONIC FOREVER

*sigh* The character design has pretty much been torn apart. From the hair, to the clothes, to the body type. It's a reboot, which means it's going to totally ignore all the games that came before it. Stop trying to make the people who don't like this out to be crazed.

But maybe I'm being hypocritical because I gave up on DMC when I got to the end of the first game and wondered why it suddenly became a space shooter when it had been an action adventure game before that and then it turned into a 3D platformer at some point too.

Gah, more people who don't even care about the series condemning those who do for not liking this. And for crying out loud, the space shooter was only on the first part of a 3 part boss battle. Like .1% of the game. I see alot of people dislike it for that. Though I wouldn't want the whole game to be like that of course, I thought it was pretty fun, and made the final boss feel kinda epic. If ya liked the other parts of the game, I'd recommend DMC3. There's no space shooter part, and i can't remember any actual platforming at all. There was a very small amount in DMC4 if ya want to avoid that one.

I don't see what's so bad about this game unless it rises to Other M-style levels of character destruction but we won't know if it does until it comes out so...yeah.

We see the design change right in front of us. We know it's a reboot, so it's going to pretend like the previous games never existed. Seriously, what more info do we need? How about this then. The guys from Ninja Theory have stated that they don't want to make him like the original Dante. They've also stated that one of the main aspects of the DMC series is...fashion. That's why Billy the Emo Kid here looks as he does. They suppoesedly really researched what is fashionable and this is the result. Now, I know you don't give a flying Dutchman about this series, but some of us do. And we don't need to play the game to realize we don't like the current design or that they're rebooting the story.
Chosen Raven

Postby lionheart » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Hmm, I'll assume you applauded the release of Shadow the Hedgehog, then, Nate? Maybe you even wanted them to name it "Sonic" the hedgehog? Surely, by same reasoning, that must have been a BRILLIANT new direction for the sonic franchise. =_=; (Personally, I haven't played a Sonic game since Adventure 2, but it's kind of sad when a company ruins their reputation so badly through mediocre re-imaginings, a return to the Genesis era is paraded as the rebirth of the series...)

As people who don't even give a button for the games themselves, y'all probably won't understand. Though it's certainly very clever of you to take up such a patronizing initial tone of superiority. Clearly - you know more about what made the Devil May Cry series unique than people who have actually played through the games multiple times... The core of Devil May Cry was more than just the gameplay - it was the style. (And 'style' is emphatically a separate issue from mere 'fashion') The atmospheres. The Characters. The personalities. Even the weapon designs. (I have yet to see another fictional sword as cool as Rebellion, or even as 'unique' as Red Queen). A WHIP??? C'mon, I'll just get Castlevania when it comes out - at least a Belmont won't be asking bystanders for spare change while he's fighting evil.

Speaking of evil, the new Dante is something the old one never was. Cruel. If you watch the trailer, he puts out his smoke on the face of a trapped minion. Why? Having known people who've served on trips to Indian reservations, and seen the cigarette-butt scars on some of the children there, this endorsement of real-life degeneracy as "styling" / "aceptable" is simply beyond me...
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 pm

lionheart wrote:Hmm, I'll assume you applauded the release of Shadow the Hedgehog, then, Nate?

Shadow was not a bad character. He was uninspired, sure, but the problem was he shouldn't have gone past SA2. He served his role brilliantly in that game, but Sega shouldn't have whored him out after that. The other problem is that it admittedly left to existing character recolors growing in popularity as "legitimate" original characters. That, however, is the fault of the fanbase, not Sega.

So it still boils down to "OMG GREEN EYES SONIC IS FOREVER RUINEEEEEED."
Surely, by same reasoning, that must have been a BRILLIANT new direction for the sonic franchise. =_=]
Sonic games suck because they control poorly. End of. The characters have nothing to do with it. The characters are just blamed because they started appearing around the time Sonic was going downhill.

Either way, Sonic doesn't suck because of its characters or designs, it's because the games are legitimately crap. The problem is people started complaining about Sonic being RUINED FOREVAR when Sonic Adventure came out--which is a GOOD Sonic game, but they were like "OMG GREEN EYES SONIC SUX NAO." It had nothing to do with the game, they were judging it prematurely based on nothing more than character art and thus didn't realize Sonic Adventure was actually a good game.

But I'm sure you guys aren't prematurely judging a game and saying it's ruined forever based on a single character model! *looks back through thread* Oh wait.
A WHIP??? C'mon, I'll just get Castlevania when it comes out - at least a Belmont won't be asking bystanders for spare change while he's fighting evil.

Guess you missed the memo! Everyone hates the new Castlevania because they hate the art style, didn't you know? It just "isn't Castlevania" they say. But I'm sure you respect that a series isn't ruined just from some artwork and character design right? *looks back at thread* Oh wait.
Speaking of evil, the new Dante is something the old one never was. Cruel.

You mean the half-demon guy is cruel?! Whoever heard of a cruel demon! Man the stuff people come up with these days I tell ya.
Having known people who've served on trips to Indian reservations, and seen the cigarette-butt scars on some of the children there, this endorsement of real-life degeneracy as "styling" / "aceptable" is simply beyond me...

But the endorsement of killing is totally okay. Cool story bro.

Nate

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 pm

So, since I'm not a long-standing fan of the series I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the matter? It's a reboot. This is an opportunity for a few things:

To attempt directions they couldn't before within the confines of what had already been defined by the series for fear of alienating fans (heh...)

To escape a growing mythology within the series which will, likewise, confine what the writers can do

and most importantly allow an opportunity for a new fanbase to be built.

Look, I'm a huge megaman fan but I don't pitch a fit every time they introduce a new series and completely rework the character. Likewise I didn't bat an eye at the new PoP game. As a matter of fact, I really enjoyed it even if the new hero looked like he'd been assaulted by a remnants bin from a fabric store.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Sure is reboot up in this joint. Makes me wonder why Capcom didn't just make another series.
Solid Ronin

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Because it's easier to market something as an existing title than to introduce a new IP. Existing titles have brand recognition; new IPs have to struggle to get themselves recognized.

It's why Psychonauts didn't sell well despite being an awesome original game, but Modern Warfare 2 sold bucketloads despite it being a generic shootan' game.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Did people QQ this much when Capcom announced Megaman X for the first time?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

[quote="Nate (post: 1426312)"]Because it's easier to market something as an existing title than to introduce a new IP. Existing titles have brand recognition]

I never understand that logic. If something isn't doing as well as you want it why change so much about it and try to pass it off as the same? You're only going to alienate the original fans and since it's still going by the same name the people you want to buy it are just as likely to pass it off, Granted that may be why they're going with the title "DMC".

I'll play the demo and maybe rent or borrow it from someone and give it its just dues, but since Capcom (Whom I love) felt like slapping me with this, to hades with'em. I just pray they don't have FPS action in the next Street Fighter.
Solid Ronin

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey guys, while we may not be on the topic of muscles anymore I'd like to point out that strong people don't have to have bulky muscles. Dancers, acrobats, people like that can be really thin but are very strong.

Also, a good guy who only does good things is a generic hero. I know that I'd want characters to have a little more dimension and to break away from the "heroes are always good, villains are always bad" idea.
Ante Bellum

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1426324) wrote:Also, a good guy who only does good things is a generic hero. I know that I'd want characters to have a little more dimension and to break away from the "heroes are always good, villains are always bad" idea.

He really loved his cousin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solid Ronin

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews