PC Games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

PC Games

Postby Aedin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Does anyone here play PC games? If so, which ones? Would be fun to have people to play PC games with. I haven't been playing much lately, but I'd be willing to try pretty much any free MMORPG, and I have Left 4 Dead 2, Killing Floor, Team Fortress 2, and a few other games on Steam. If anyone wants, I can get my Steam name and post it here.
Everybody was haiku writing, Their wits were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening, But they wrote with expert rhyming
Aedin

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I've got Ragnarok Online Valkyrie, which is F2P(free to play) and I'd be willing to look into something that gets recommended here.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I been playing left4Dead2 and Empire total war recently, as well as TF2 and Fallout 3 occasionally, all through steam except... fallout.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:15 pm

-Points at Sig Link-

I've told you a bit about Mabinogi but as a general thread, I have to recommend Mabinogi to anyone who wants an MMO that offers everything at the cost of graphics. The graphics aren't BAD they're just not OMGAMAZING but the animations definitely make up for it. It's also one of the few MMOs with an actual story or rather SEVERAL stories to play out.

Some point I can think of:
- 3 races to pick from, each with their own transformations.
- 2 huge continents.
- Many dungeons and different versions of said dungeons.
- A combat system based on skills and strategies not mouse spamming.
- There are no classes. You can be anything you want: Alchemist, Mage, Warrior, Blacksmith, Weaver, Potion Maker, anything! You can even be a mix of everything.

There are many more I just honestly can't think of them all. I think the only downside is that, if you want a mount or pet, you have to pay for it out of your wallet. Which isn't bad for a completely free to play MMO and the mounts/pets are pretty cheap and permanent.

I'd recommend checking it out because I honestly can't list EVERYTHING in a few posts on a forum. I'll try to find some more trailers if anyone is interested, just ask in this thread, as the game is constantly updating. We had an update last night actually. Otherwise, my Sig will do.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:23 am

I play a lot of games on the PC, but not a whole lot of MMOs.

I played Atlantica Online for a bit - I liked it, but my (rather old) computer didn't, so I stopped playing. The battle system is a mix of strategy RPG and a turn-based systems, and works really well.

My MMO of choice, however, is Skyrates (skyrates.net): a browser-based trading sim, much like Elite or Freelancer, if you've played any of those, where you have a transport (in this case, a plane), and you're buying stuff cheap at one stop and selling it for a profit at another. Occasionally, you'll run into pirates and other unsavories, and you shoot them down.

As a game, it's very much "fire and forget:" you set up a queue of tasks, like where you're going to go, what you're going to buy, etc., and you let it run in real time. These chains can last for a few days, if you've got the right planes and routes, so you don't always have to be on to be playing - you can play as much or as little as you want. It's surprisingly addicting for its simplicity, and there's a great community of roleplayers and world-builders that's popped up around it.

But if you're looking for some non-MMO games, there are a whole lot of great freeware games to be had, both former retail games and made-for-freeware ones.

Beyond the freeware beaten path of Cave Story, Iji, La Mulana, etc., (not to say that those games aren't good, because they are) there's a great fan-made port of Star Control 2 out there called The Ur-Quan Masters - 20 years later, and it's still got the best video game voice acting I've heard. If you know how to mess with the ISOs, you can get Command and Conquer, C&C: Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun from the EA site. Battle for Wesnoth is a brilliant strategy RPG that combines the best of Advance Wars with the best of Fire Emblem, and Hydorah is a gorgeous, difficult piece of arcade shmup goodness. All these are great, and they're free for the taking.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Peanut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 am

Currently, the only PC game I am really playing is Starcraft 2. But that's mostly because of school and because...its Starcarft 2. I've recently started playing Torchlight a little bit more but that's just been a few occasions here and there. I should be playing Sam and Max season 3 but just haven't really had the time or will to play it. I used to play TF2 quite a bit but just kind of stopped for no reason. There are a bunch of other games which I've played for or on the PC, to name a few, Cave Story, Iji, Beyond Good and Evil, the Half-Life 2 series, and Portal. So, in a way, I kind of am a PC gamer...well now at least...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:04 am

I'm fairly obsessed with TF2 and my friends get together for L4D2 pretty often. I finished FO3 (with the exception of a few expansions) a few months ago and haven't picked it up in awhile but that's because I've been working on some games on my 360 that I just finished. There is a game I'm wanting to pick up called Mount and Blade which is somewhere between a Strategy game and a medievil third person shooter and strikes me as being the very picture of awesome.

A good F2P mmo would be Allods Online. Solid game, cool aesthetic. Fun. I'm looking to pick up the beta for FFXIV while I still can.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/caa we also have this, though it may take a few days before you get added to the group.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Straylight » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:33 pm

At the moment I've had quite a lot of fun playing Starcraft 2. It's very similar to old fashioned RTS games. I always get beaten on the multiplayer though lol.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Aedin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:33 pm

I did not know we had a Steam group. I shall join it. Just been hoping to make some gamer friends.
Aedin

Postby Peanut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Straylight (post: 1423070) wrote:At the moment I've had quite a lot of fun playing Starcraft 2. It's very similar to old fashioned RTS games. I always get beaten on the multiplayer though lol.

I can relate to the getting beaten at multiplayer. I just ended a pretty nasty losing streak I was dealing with...and it felt good.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

I am also playing StarCraft 2, heheh. I am trying to learn how to use the map editor as well, it's quite a bit more complicated than the previous one!
Sammy Boy

Postby Furen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Starcraft 2 but it doesn't work on my computer...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Aedin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am

Would anyone want to play some games together sometime?
Aedin

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:14 am

I would love to, but often it's difficult because I live in the Southern Hemisphere, away from most of CAA's population (this means I am available when most people are at work/study/asleep). :0

On top of this I am on-call for after hours support at work on weeknights, which leaves weekends, half of which are taken up with grocery-buying and family gathering times. Not that such activities are bad in themselves, but it just means I get an hour near and there for gaming at unpredictable timeslots.

Hence I end up doing vs. AI skirmishes and such. Sorry. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 am

Deud... I am a horrible person. I just started playing WoW again. :D
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Furen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1424176) wrote:Deud... I am a horrible person. I just started playing WoW again. :D

Is it an addiction?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby MOAVGproduction » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 pm

wow... I'm a gardcore pc gamer... so here's the list:
The sims 3,
Lord of the Rings online,
Guild wars,
Dragon Age origins,
Everquest 2,
Elderscrolls IV Oblivion GOTY,
Fallout 3 GOTY,
Street fighter 4,
Stalker Clear sky,
Crisis (Highest settings!!! ^_^) complete,
ummmm.............
Sam and Max seasons 1&2
Worms 3d,
Unreal anthology,
All the Battle field games... except bad company and 1943...
Swat 4,
The Club,
Sim city societies,
Sim City 4,
and more... :)
EDIT:
Counter Stike Source,
Saints Row 2,
and maybe more... I'll edit it sometime then lol
http://christianparkour.webs.com/
this is my new website, check it out.
MOAVGproduction

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Furen (post: 1424586) wrote:Is it an addiction?

Don't think so. Addiction strikes me as being a persistent compulsive need... I get burnt out on WoW after awhile and have to stop. But I feel a little guilty when I'm playing it... Like everyone's gonna be "Oh, come ON! Geeze!"
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 pm

I have a friend who plays something called Runes of Magic, it's a free MMORPG and she says it's a lot like WoW. I've never gotten to play it, but she seems to like it a lot. Her username's Stella on here.

The only thing I play is Sims 3, and in the past, Sims 2... I'm not big into PC games besides that, but I hope you find some people that can play with you though! :)

EDIT: Oh! I forgot about these games I used to play but can't because of a different computer... the one was Rise of Nations, a very cool "build your cities and wage war" game (is there a name for those?? lol, I feel kind of stupid XD), Rollercoaster Tycoon, Pharoah, and of course, good old Oregon Trail!! :D

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 pm

I play some of the older C&C games(gennerals and erlier)
Civ3
LotR:BfME
Rise of Nations
Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment

And I don't dare try to run anything newer on my computer

Oh I almost forgot, Tank Wars!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby MOAVGproduction » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Beau Soir (post: 1424607) wrote:I have a friend who plays something called Runes of Magic, it's a free MMORPG and she says it's a lot like WoW. I've never gotten to play it, but she seems to like it a lot. Her username's Stella on here.

The only thing I play is Sims 3, and in the past, Sims 2... I'm not big into PC games besides that, but I hope you find some people that can play with you though! :)

EDIT: Oh! I forgot about these games I used to play but can't because of a different computer... the one was Rise of Nations, a very cool "build your cities and wage war" game (is there a name for those?? lol, I feel kind of stupid XD), Rollercoaster Tycoon, Pharoah, and of course, good old Oregon Trail!! :D

Aw cool, you play the sims 3 also!
AWESOME! LOL
http://christianparkour.webs.com/
this is my new website, check it out.
MOAVGproduction

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 am

I have Team Fortress 2 but I haven't played it before. I'm a total newbie. If anyone wishes to add me, my name on Steam is 'tintinrulz'. That said, I live in the Southern Hemisphere, so I don't know how our time-zones would match up. We all need to sleep, right? :P
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mister Frodo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm

If you want to add me as a friend on Steam, Aedin, my Steam name is MrFrodo17. (Also in my sig.) Just send me a friend request, invite, whatever they call those things. XD

In online gaming, I mainly play Left 4 Dead 2. I also have Alien Swarm, which I haven't played online at all, and Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2, but I haven't played either of those much and am somewhat afraid to, as I feel a noob like myself would get owned in competitive gaming. XD I'm not sure how much free time I'll have to play, with college keeping me pretty busy, but anytime you wanna play online, just let me know.
Mister Frodo

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews