RPG Maker!

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

RPG Maker!

Postby xamberoceanx » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:47 pm

I was just wondering how many of you have played any of the RPG Maker games and which one(s) you've played.

I've only played the RPG Maker for the PS1. I've never fully completed a game in it; it takes a lot of patience and dedication.. haha

If you've played it before, what is your game about? And what is the title of it?

Also, how many RPG Makers are there out there? I know they made another one for the PS2 and one for the computer... In your experience, which RPG Maker is the best?

I'm really into this, and I've wanted to make a game on it for quite some time, but I'd like to get a better version of the game first. And I'm really curious as to how many of you have played it, haha. :)
[color="Pink"]"Thinking of you, wherever you are.
We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend.
Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
And who knows: starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun.
There are many worlds, and they share the same sky - one sky, one destiny."[/color]
- [color="Plum"]Kairi (Kingdom Hearts)[/color]

[color="Red"]♥[/color][color="DarkOrange"]♥[/color][color="Yellow"]♥[/color][color="Lime"]♥[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"]♥[/color][color="DarkOrchid"]♥[/color]

xamberoceanx

Postby armeck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 pm

i know ZERO about what you are talking about, can you fill me in on what you do know about them this sounds cool
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Angel37 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm

i've heard rumours of rpg makers but i have yet to hear if they're any good though if anyone knows if the ps2 one is good, i'd be interested as well
Angel37

Postby Saved Gamer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:31 am

I've played a game that was made using RPG Maker VX. It was made by a mod here actually. UC Pseudonym made a game called "A Bloody Peace" and it was really well made. you can download from here: http://www.theproject.us/
Saved Gamer

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 am

All of the ones on systems so far suck. My brother had a couple of them and they were horrible. To complicated for too little. Even if you spent hours creating a game no one would play it just because the look and mechanics and stuff is so boring.

The only RPG maker that's any good was the one on the computer. It was insanely complicated to do stuff like open a treasure chest and stuff but you could make decent looking SNES games with a similar look to Chrono Trigger and stuff. If you wanna do like RPG making stuff, find that (I think it was RPGmaker2000 or something like that). You could import music, your own graphics etc etc etc. You can't do any of that on the PS ones. Only get what it comes with.

As far as PS games go... it's better just getting a game that has customizable levels or something. At least THOSE you'd wanna play after you spend hours putting it together. Seriously, the PS RPG maker games are garbage.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby xamberoceanx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 am

Scarecrow (post: 1419355) wrote:All of the ones on systems so far suck. My brother had a couple of them and they were horrible. To complicated for too little. Even if you spent hours creating a game no one would play it just because the look and mechanics and stuff is so boring.

The only RPG maker that's any good was the one on the computer. It was insanely complicated to do stuff like open a treasure chest and stuff but you could make decent looking SNES games with a similar look to Chrono Trigger and stuff. If you wanna do like RPG making stuff, find that (I think it was RPGmaker2000 or something like that). You could import music, your own graphics etc etc etc. You can't do any of that on the PS ones. Only get what it comes with.

As far as PS games go... it's better just getting a game that has customizable levels or something. At least THOSE you'd wanna play after you spend hours putting it together. Seriously, the PS RPG maker games are garbage.

Oh ok, that's good to know.
Thanks. :)

armeckthefirst: RPG Maker is a game that let's you make an RPG. Seriously, you like make scenes, dungeons, maps, characters, weapons, magic, everything. You just make an RPG.

It's fun to mess around with. :)
It's too bad they don't have a decent RPG Maker for the PS2. :/

Saved Gamer: Thanks, I'll have to try it out. :)
And who knows: starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun.
There are many worlds, and they share the same sky - one sky, one destiny."[/color]

[color="Red"]♥[/color][color="DarkOrange"]♥[/color][color="Yellow"]♥[/color][color="Lime"]♥[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"]♥[/color][color="DarkOrchid"]♥[/color]

xamberoceanx

Postby armeck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm

sounds cool. i have dark basic for the computer, you can make everything from a simple 2D game to an mmorpg with it. i never did learn the software though, i kinda lost my interest in game making, but thanks for the info! XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Mister Frodo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I haven't tried the RPG Makers for PS1 or PS2, but I have tried RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX, the two most recent ones for PC. They were complicated, but they seemed to have a lot of depth, plus, in addition to being able to import music and graphics, you can also find a lot of interesting scripts, sprites, and other things for those programs on the web. I liked XP's look and the music that came with the game was better, but VX makes some things simpler (like flames, doors, and chests) while also allowing you to make a world map by default. You can try out the makers for free, but I think it costs 60 bucks to get a license for either one.
Mister Frodo

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

The console versions all suck. My Favorite of all time was RPG Maker 2000 on the PC. 2003 had a built in FF style battle system (instead of the dragon quest style ever other version uses) so that was probably pretty cool, too, but I never used it. I've also used XP and VX, but they removed features in favor of code (Ruby) so that kind of sucked.

About 5 years ago, I was in the process of making a huge game with multiple paths and crazy boss battles, Earthbound level in-game craziness, but I don't have it anymore. There may be a friend somewhere who has it.

There's no reason they couldn't do one more like the PC versions for PS3 and 360, though, since they have hard drives. You could even buy character sets, map pieces, etc... Wait... Crap, don't want to give them TOO many ideas on how to milk it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 am

I tried RPG maker 2003

the only thing I was good at was making really nice towns and secrets.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby xamberoceanx » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:15 pm

So, everyone seems to vote that the RPG Makers for the PC are the best. Thanks everyone for your opinion! I'll do a little research on those versions when I get a new RPG Maker.

Bobtheduck: Yeah, I thought about that too- RPG Maker for the 360 wouldn't be a bad idea. I kinda wish they would do something like that. I'm not too big on playing video games on the PC.. I don't know why...

xamberoceanx

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1419515) wrote: Crap, don't want to give them TOO many ideas on how to milk it...

I think you already did...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 am

You really need to find tutorials to use any RPG maker appropriately... Once you learn about switches, fixed sprites, fixed directions, fixed animations, etc, you'll be able to do some impressive stuff... Oh, and make about 100 custom spell animations (which don't have to be used for spells... I used my custom animations in cutscenes all the time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby xamberoceanx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am

Awesome. :)
Yeah, I'll look into tutorials too.

xamberoceanx

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews