Final Fantasy XIII

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:17 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1382496) wrote:I can actually see myself enjoying the game in the same way I enjoy Metal Gear Solid. The game play is alright, but it's just something I do in between the cutscenes and there's no real reason to play through more than once. That was how I felt about Neverwinter Nights, because the lack of a real party reduced combat and leveling to a basic progression. By contrast, Baulder's Gate II probably had a weaker set of combat rules overall, but I had much more fun because the customization and exploration mattered. Then again, my opinion about BGII is probably a bit biased.
Again, while I haven't played the game, most of the complaints I've heard against Final Fantasy XIII stem from that it's not Final Fantasy enough]Final Fantasy VII[/B]
Antagonist is a pretty boy.
Final Fantasy VIII
Antagonist is a pretty girl.
Final Fantasy IX
Antagonist is a pretty "Boy."
Final Fantasy X
Antagonist is a "Pretty" boy.
Final Fantasy XIII
Antagonist is an old dude.

Game of the Year.
Nate (post: 1382518) wrote:Well I'll give you one thing that makes a real Final Fantasy game, thus further proving XIII is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glu5wr5LRm4

That. And Uematsu not doing the music for the game has nothing to do with why it wasn't in XIII, so don't even bother using that excuse, since he didn't do the music in XII and it was in that one.
Kazuma Kaneko has been the mainstay character designer for the MegaTen franchise since 1992.

Kaneko didn't work on Persona 4. Therefore, it isn't MegaTen.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm

So it doesn't have the !@$#ing fanfare. OH NO IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD. I don't like the new fanfare either but that doesn't mean all the music in the game sucks. Your logic fails, sir.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

OK. Time for an update. I have now played about 20 hours into this game. Today I was not spewing vitriol at the TV screen while I played. You know what I did? I went out and bought the "Official Strategy Guide" ($25 USD.) I am now into this game for about $90. I will now update my previous statement:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY THIS GAME, GET THE STRATEGY GUIDE OR WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE ON THE 'NET HAS WRITTEN A DECENT ONE. XD

That being said, let me address some other things:

* Camera: My main beef with the camera was actually due to faulty controller. This camera is no longer cruel and unusual punishment. It's just kinda annoying every once in a while.

* Music: I will preface this by saying I am a music geek. I *love* listening scores by great composers. I love it when I hear some homage in a song that harkens back to some other theme. Ellone's theme appearing in 12 was wonderful. I have not heard the FF Triumph score. This saddens me. I have not heard any other throwback themes. This also saddens me. The music, overall, while not "bad" per se, seems to be lacking in the depth that adds a sense of emotional impact to an otherwise somewhat dull grinding time. That being said, I have also not been subjected to anything as annoying as the "Shinra Fanfare" theme from FF7's Junon sequences.

* Fish's "Pretty Boy" commentary: If you think Ultimacia was a "pretty girl," then I think I will not address any other points you're bringing up here. XD

* UC's MGS question: Very much so. It's going to end up being quite a bit like that for me, I think. What do I think of the characters... Well, not to spoil anything from another game *cough cough* but there's only one or two characters in this game I would object to losing. And even then, it's only because they're the "least bad" characters. If suddenly the game where to have a nuke kill off everyone and force me to play another set of characters, I would be TOTALLY FINE with that. I mean, the only emotional bonds I'm forming are the kind that people eventually formed with Jar Jar Binks. Eventually, you get used to the emo. But yes, if I could transfer the emo from the characters in the game to my lawn, I would totally do so. >.> I had similar experiences (to you) with NWN (the first ones; 2 was actually better in this respect) and Baulder's Gate. Of course, BG and BGII can be played with other people easier than NWN can be, and the more stripped down depth of the game lends itself to easily pick it up after a year or two away and jump right in.

* Renaming Characters: Dude! I totally would have renamed Lightning to... Another name that someone else here already mentioned, that I don't really feel like repeating. XD

* "Real Final Fantasy" : This is something I actually thought a great deal about when FFXI came out. The series has long been known to provide a (more or less) consistent balance between story and play. I've always felt that the designers spent a great deal of time trying to blend newer hardware into that balance. Though doubtless some here will disagree with me, I think they've typically succeeded. I ran across an interview with the designers for 13 who indicated that the Japanese market was more interested in the MGS feel (mostly story with a little play), so they decided to head in that direction. The article quoted Toriyama as saying they didn't see the series leaving that path any time soon. To me, this has upset the balance that I've always liked. Add to that an incredibly complex battle system with relatively little instruction regarding tactics (and only a few tactics that actually work later on!), it makes for a disconnected feel.

* "Hours of press 'X' start": This actually annoyed me for a different reason. Because this is the case, you never really explore any other aspects of the system, and therefore you never learn how the complex battle system works (see above). As a result, when something "hard" shows up, you're clueless, you die over and over until you find the right combination, and it interrupts the balance.

Well, that's probably enough for now. that's what's going on in my head, anyway. After last night's rant, I'm sure I've offended a few people, but I think it's probably worth standing by, simply because it shows how frustrated I was. That being said, I feel I will enjoy the rest of the game now that I have the strategy guide. For one thing, it explained how the level-up system works, for weapons, accessories, and people. It really has make the game quite a bit more bearable. Of course, I still wanna kill most of the characters, though.

I agree that FF9 may have been of the best games ever. I mean, there were only a few truly annoying characters. Steiner, mainly. Even he had his good moments though. And *they* were in the first 20 hours of the game. At this point, the only thing Lightning has made me wish for is a direct strike.
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:50 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:So it doesn't have the !@$#ing fanfare. OH NO IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD. I don't like the new fanfare either but that doesn't mean all the music in the game sucks. Your logic fails, sir.

Because there's totally NO WAY that I went on Youtube and found the hundreds of uploaded tracks from the game, listened to those, and came to the opinion that "Wow this music isn't very good." Nope, I just listened to the one victory fanfare and came to that conclusion based on that one track!

<Mod snip: Images that break scroll will be removed >

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1382627) wrote:* Fish's "Pretty Boy" commentary: If you think Ultimacia was a "pretty girl," then I think I will not address any other points you're bringing up here. XD
Actually, that was a typo in the joke on my part, though you don't have to believe with me. The original idea was to have "Pretty' in quotation marks there as well.
Fish and Chips

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:48 am

Nate (post: 1382518) wrote:Well I'll give you one thing that makes a real Final Fantasy game, thus further proving XIII is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glu5wr5LRm4

YOu don't understand the demands of doing the victory fanfare in high def. It would take, at the least, another 3 years of work and millions of dollars to get the victory fanfare in the game to match up with the standards they met with the rest of the music. [/satire]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1384641) wrote:YOu don't understand the demands of doing the victory fanfare in high def. It would take, at the least, another 3 years of work and millions of dollars to get the victory fanfare in the game to match up with the standards they met with the rest of the music. [/satire]

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

And for those of you following the saga, my PS3 is fixed now, so I can once again experience all the high-def emo. >.>
Mithrandir

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 am

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1569-Final-Fantasy-XIII

Wiiii. Hilarious.

<MODNOTE/Viewer warning: The video, being a Zero Punctuation video, has a lot of language and crude humor. Watch at your own discretion.>
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

Yahtzee hates JRPGs with an undying passion.

This should be good.

Nate

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 pm

lol wooow. I love it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:42 pm

Kookie spice!!!!

Sorry, forgot to put a warning on it, didn't think about it.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1384828) wrote:Bwahahahahahahahaha!

And for those of you following the saga, my PS3 is fixed now, so I can once again experience all the high-def emo. >.>

A woman is angry that her sister turned to crystal and her last words to her were ones of anger. Now she faces the same fate with the added bonus of being reviled by everyone.

Mith thinks thats emo.

A boy is heart broken and enraged when his mother dies saving the man that claimed to be their savior. The man later goes on to say that fighting in a fight is stupid. as an added bonus he's in the same boat as the woman I first mentioned.

Mith thinks that's emo.

A father is worried about the fate of his son and takes on a god hoping to save him in any way he can. He too is in the same boat as the woman and boy.

Mith thinks that's so emo.

A man's bride to be is turned to crystal but retains as hopeful as he can to make her last wish come true. Same boat.

Mith thinks that's emo.

A girl is in the same boat but stay optimistic.

Mith. Emo.

... I pity the poor sap that confines his inner most fear and doubts to Mith.
Solid Ronin

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 pm

You've played it, right? nearly every single conversation is angst, start to finish. Every cut sceen for the last 20 hours. TWENTY HOURS. You're telling me that's NOT over-the-top in the emo department? Really? Maybe I just cynically want FUN in my video games...
Mithrandir

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1385712) wrote:You've played it, right? nearly every single conversation is angst, start to finish. Every cut sceen for the last 20 hours. TWENTY HOURS. You're telling me that's NOT over-the-top in the emo department? Really? Maybe I just cynically want FUN in my video games...

You want fun in video games....Why are you playing RPGS?

Play Street Fighter.
Solid Ronin

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1385714) wrote:You want fun in video games....Why are you playing RPGS?

Play Street Fighter.

That is... Unusually sage advice. I'd edit it to say Final Fantasy games, though. The DQ series was incredible, and very low on the emo content.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1385733) wrote:That is... Unusually sage advice. I'd edit it to say Final Fantasy games, though. The DQ series was incredible, and very low on the emo content.

You're compliment is appreciated but Dragon Warrior only reinforces my thoughts on RPGS.

In fact FFXIII is one of the very few RPGS I've had "fun" playing.
Solid Ronin

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:22 am

I was going to make a big long post about other Final Fantasy characters, but it was too long and boring so I didn't.

So I'll put it simply. Other Final Fantasy characters have had it ten times worse than anyone you mentioned in your post, and none of them acted half as emo as the characters from 13. Okay, I'll give one, ONE quick example.

Rydia from Final Fantasy IV is an eight-year-old girl who has her mother die in front of her eyes. Her entire village is then burned down to the ground by a Bomb Ring. She is then taken against her will by the man who indirectly killed her mother, as well as burned her village. After he protects her from Baron's soldiers, she realizes he's not a bad guy, and fights with him. No less than an hour after this happens, she meets a bard named Edward crying over the death of his lover. Know what she says?

"Coward. You're a man, aren't you? A grown man! Stop crying. I have."

An eight year old girl, whose mother died in front of her, whose village was burned down in front of her, tells a grown man he's a coward and to stop crying.

In Final Fantasy VI, the ENTIRE WORLD is destroyed and none of the characters are emo. When an entire world gets destroyed and the characters don't sit around and whine about it, that's not emo.

Final Fantasy XIII is emo. None of the characters in this game have it half as bad as the characters from past games and none of them can man up like their predecessors.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:22 am

You guys are a trip. I personally think it's MORE unnatural and irritating when all these horrible things have happened to characters and they act like nothing happened or are like "LALALA I'M CHEERFUL~"; i.e. Vanille. That ain't natural. I like to call it "Honda Tohru Syndrome".

Why is it so fricking wrong for fictional characters to grieve and be sad and unhappy? I thought that was part of the fun of fiction-- to see characters go through hardship, and feel unhappy, and then ultimately work through it in the end. All these offenses you guys are laying against the FF13 cast more or less get resolved within the first 8 chapters of the game. Of course, if you were playing the game, you might know that.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nightshade X » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:37 am

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1385807)"]You guys are a trip. I personally think it's MORE unnatural and irritating when all these horrible things have happened to characters and they act like nothing happened or are like "LALALA I'M CHEERFUL~"]

I agree here. Frankly, I don't understand why everyone's so against the emotional content of the game. I think it's a lot better than the emotionless machismo that we get from the vast majority of male characters and the excessively annoying hyper-sexuality of most female characters that we're constantly forced to take.

...and, yeah. 8 chapters in, these offenses are pretty much cleaned up. What's the issue?
Nightshade X

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:08 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Why is it so fricking wrong for fictional characters to grieve and be sad and unhappy?

It isn't wrong. However, there's a few problems. One is that video games are an inherently different medium than movies or books. Let's go with Philadelphia, a very popular movie that is pretty sad.

There is no evil empire in Philadelphia. The characters aren't fighting. They're not solving any mysteries. It's a story about a guy's life. This would not fly in a video game. Video games need some involvement on the part of the player, and some sort of "evil" to confront. Even Heavy Rain, as much like a movie as it is, has an antagonist. There's no fighting, no encounters, but there's still someone to go after, there's puzzles to solve, something.

Put quite simply, it IS unrealistic to have characters be whiny and mopey when they're supposed to be fighting the bad guys. I've been in the military, okay? When your dad dies and you're overseas, or your best friend gets shot in the face right beside you in a firefight, you don't have time to be weepy and emotional. You don't have the luxury of being able to throw down your gun and yell "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!" You're a soldier, you do your job. Don't like it? Shouldn't have signed up for the military.

And even MORE so if you're a criminal, or at least falsely accused of being a criminal like the characters are in XIII (I GUESS, I don't know I have no interest in it). If you're on the run from DA LAW and your friend is hurt you can't sit there and mope about it or you're going to screw up or get caught. You don't have time to be emotional if you're a fugitive.

It's at this point we get into the whole realism thing in games. Final Fantasy isn't realistic obviously, so should its characters be expected to act realistically? Maybe it's okay for them to be whiny and emo and annoying but that doesn't change the fact that most people aren't going to like them. Especially because Japan and America have different cultures. This is why so many Americans hate Raiden from MGS2, whereas Japan was pretty okay with him. Likewise, you don't see a whole lot of WRPGs that have the type of melodrama that most JRPGs have. Compare say, Mass Effect to Star Ocean. Big difference there in the mood and feeling of the storyline. It's just how the cultures are.

I think another problem is the fact that FFXIII has voice acting. The cast doesn't include say, Tom Hanks, star of Philadelphia, who is experienced and excellent at acting. They're just whoever can get hired. Remember how everyone hated Tidus from FFX and as a result, now hate James Arnold Taylor? And Tidus wasn't even emo!

I don't know if this is the case, since I haven't seen any cutscenes of FFXIII (nor do I even want to) but I have a feeling that whiny emo Hope and annoying loser Snow might not have the best voice acting. I can see how, especially in Hope's case, he might come off as histrionic as hell, and that would be horribly irritating. It's a fault of voice-acting, perhaps if it was text-only like the first 9 games, he would be better received (again, assuming his voice acting is bad, I don't know, I'm just producing a theory).

It also could be the younger characters, and thus, a younger audience involved. See, I was 19 when FF8 came out. I was in the Navy, already through boot camp, and so on. I'd grown up, matured a bit. So naturally, I thought Squall was a pathetic, whiny, stupid, annoying emo git. However, a lot of people who played FF8 were maybe 14-16. These people were in the midst of puberty and confusion and social outcasts, so they identified with Squall. "Hey, he's afraid of girls, JUST LIKE I AM! He's really bad at conversation, JUST LIKE I AM!" They latched on to him because they were exactly like him minus the whole weapons and fighting thing. I was over that part of my life, so I saw him for the stupid worthless crapsack he was. Actually all the characters in 8 were like that with the exception of Seifer...who was a bad guy.

And so, Hope probably comes off as whiny and emo to those of us older because we can't identify with him. Those who are younger and listen to Hawthorne Heights and Escape the Fate and God knows what else, probably love Hope to death and think he's the best character ever because they're in the target age group.

I think a big problem is, as JRPGs have evolved, those of us who are fans were hoping that the storytelling and presentation would mature along with it. I like IX the best of all the numbered FF games, but I have yet to see any post-SNES Final Fantasy game match or exceed the storylines of 4-6. I think part of the reason is that the games have become more character-based than story-based, with the exception of 12, in which the characters were just kind of observers to the greater events going on around them. I also think that part of the reason is that older people have jobs, lives, and the like, and don't have the time or desire to spend on these kinds of games anymore. This inevitably means that Squenix is forced to try to appeal to the younger audiences who have that kind of free time. And as they are a company trying to turn a profit, I really can't blame them for that business strategy. Especially since 12 wasn't as well-received as the other games, and I think part of that is due to it being directed at a more mature audience, with all the political intrigue and stuff. So, they release a game appealing to the teeny-bopper crowd along with the obligatory cute ditzy character to attract the moe crowd, and they have a hit on their hands.

And it isn't their fault. Like I said, they have to make money. But it is a bit disappointing to those of us who wanted more from the next generations of JRPGs.

Oh and also AI controlled characters and non-turn based combat can burn. So there's that too. However that's just my personal preference, as I realize people will say that turn-based combat is boring and uninteresting. Still, if FFXIII had been more like X or the SNES/PS1 era games combat-wise, I probably could forgive it of its other faults.

Nate

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Nate (post: 1385762) wrote:I was going to make a big long post about other Final Fantasy characters, but it was too long and boring so I didn't.

So I'll put it simply. Other Final Fantasy characters have had it ten times worse than anyone you mentioned in your post, and none of them acted half as emo as the characters from 13. Okay, I'll give one, ONE quick example.

Rydia from Final Fantasy IV is an eight-year-old girl who has her mother die in front of her eyes. Her entire village is then burned down to the ground by a Bomb Ring. She is then taken against her will by the man who indirectly killed her mother, as well as burned her village. After he protects her from Baron's soldiers, she realizes he's not a bad guy, and fights with him. No less than an hour after this happens, she meets a bard named Edward crying over the death of his lover. Know what she says?

"Coward. You're a man, aren't you? A grown man! Stop crying. I have."

An eight year old girl, whose mother died in front of her, whose village was burned down in front of her, tells a grown man he's a coward and to stop crying.

In Final Fantasy VI, the ENTIRE WORLD is destroyed and none of the characters are emo. When an entire world gets destroyed and the characters don't sit around and whine about it, that's not emo.

Final Fantasy XIII is emo. None of the characters in this game have it half as bad as the characters from past games and none of them can man up like their predecessors.

I guess that's why mid game they don't just all turn it around and decide on a "screw this fate let's build our own!" attitude ... waitaminute...

And even MORE so if you're a criminal, or at least falsely accused of being a criminal like the characters are in XIII (I GUESS, I don't know I have no interest in it). If you're on the run from DA LAW and your friend is hurt you can't sit there and mope about it or you're going to screw up or get caught. You don't have time to be emotional if you're a fugitive.

Where are you getting this information from? The first thing lighting does after becoming a criminal is set off to kill a god and an entire civilization.

Snow sets off on his own to somehow save the world. The only characters that just "sit and whine" are Vanille and Sazh who don't whine as much as just run away not knowing what they'll do next.

Nate wrote:I don't know if this is the case, since I haven't seen any cutscenes of FFXIII (nor do I even want to) but I have a feeling that whiny emo Hope and annoying loser Snow might not have the best voice acting.

Snow isn't a loser. Hes a moron. But he's not a loser.

On the voice acting note: Its a mixed bag. the voices themselves are fine and acting is decent, but Lightining is a bit to mono-toned at times. Hope's VA sometimes sound out of breath, but I think that might be the actor trying to sound younger.

And so, Hope probably comes off as whiny and emo to those of us older because we can't identify with him. Those who are younger and listen to Hawthorne Heights and Escape the Fate and God knows what else, probably love Hope to death and think he's the best character ever because they're in the target age group.

The problem with that is that Hope turns it around in the third act. Heck he just yesterday he gave a "No! We've come this far and we mustn't turn back..." speech.
Solid Ronin

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Contrary to my expectations, I got a chance to play through the game. So now I’m back with less theoretical opinions. My thoughts on it are somewhat lengthy, but I wanted to complete the game before making judgments about it. Hopefully it will be interesting to someone?

Short version: I enjoyed it. I’d say it was worth the hours that I spent on it, but I wouldn’t want to own it. That’s par for the course.

The game has one big problem: everything about the beginning is bad. The combat is the most repetitive, the plot is the most scattered, the characters their worst written, and the areas the most linear. Even the camera is clunkier.

Those aren’t terrible, but they are all worse than they are for the rest of the game. This is really too bad. If they’d changed the story’s pacing and put all the tutorials into the first ten minutes instead of stretching them out over hours, the beginning could actually work pretty well. As it is, it’s a major roadblock to real enjoyment of the game.

Combat System

Basically, it’s Final Fantasy played in combat rounds instead of action by action. Once the system actually comes into its own, it’s fun and it’s actually not all that different from the other games in a general sense.

Each of the roles is pretty limited, which means that when you switch to a paradigm you know exactly what each of your party members will be doing. The only times they don’t do what you “tellâ€
uc pseudonym

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:33 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1385980) wrote:
[spoiler]In the end, the plot disappointed me because the characters don’t come up with any kind of meaningful solution. That’s mostly fine: the game’s themes are about futility and being trapped between bad choices.

But it never moves beyond that. They don’t find any kind of third path, or even defy the villain’s expectations. At the end they do everything that he wants, but then everything’s okay because of... I don’t know, friendship? And how can Cocoon be supported like that when it’s large enough to hold so many cities? Seriously, that would wreck havoc unless I’m just really misjudging the size.

The ending also felt a bit wanting. Nothing about Cid’s army or any of the other political forces? Not even a glimpse of Hope’s father? It resolved the main plot and character points well enough, but it didn’t feel like the summation of the entire story.[/spoiler]

I feel the exact same way.

[spoiler] The pillar holding Cocoon didn't bother me so much. You see Fang and Vanille moving the world itself to make the column. So Its easy for me to believe that they also held the citys in check as they were doing nine different things at once. And while that is filling in spots for the game, I've come to expect this from any Japanese story.[/spoiler]

UC wrote:No way, brah. Street Fighter’s never lets you shoot aliens in the face and has complicated combos and stuff. That’s boring, man. Hey, we should grab some brewskis and smash the cans against our heads! That would be totally awesome!

...as much as I’d like to leave it at that, I probably shouldn’t. All I mean to say is that different people like different things. We all tend to hate on people that like things that are too far away from what we like. So I disagree with your opinion, but no insult to your intelligence is intended.

The remark wasn't intended as "Screw you for not liking what I like.". But rather as a "If you wanted to watch a comedy why did you rent Schindler's List."

[quote="Uc"]- I don’t like Snow. The beginning seems to be setting him up as oblivious, not taking things seriously and getting people killed due to his naivety. But he never becomes a better hero, he just basically says, “My bad, I need to believe in myself even harder.â€
Solid Ronin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Right...

I see no need to justify my opinions online. If they change at all, I may come back. Otherwise, someone PM me if the thread gets nasty and I'll come lock it; I'm not gonna monitor it anymore.
Mithrandir

Postby goldenspines » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:37 am

Solid Ronin (post: 1385714) wrote:You want fun in video games....Why are you playing RPGS?

Play Street Fighter.

Next time, back up your liking for the game instead of insulting someone's, please. I can understand if you were joking, but this was in very poor taste.

That being said, keep it civil in here, folks. I haven't played FFXIII and frankly, I don't really care if it's a terrible game or it's the greatest game ever, if you can't play nice, don't post.
goldenspines

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 am

Nate (post: 1385762) wrote:In Final Fantasy VI, the ENTIRE WORLD is destroyed and none of the characters are emo. When an entire world gets destroyed and the characters don't sit around and whine about it, that's not emo.

Actually, they do, in a way. When you find Setzer again, he's drowning his sorrows in a bar (and has been for the past year); Strago is worshipping Kefka, even Mog has been staring at a pendant another moogle owned, alone in a cave somewhere.

But then the characters work through their issues. One by one, they are inspired by their friends to live again, to get past these issues and then go save their world from Kefka. Locke learns to move on with his life, Terra learns what it's like to truly love something, and Setzer gets a new airship from an old friend. These scenes are the most poignant in the game, maybe in all of gaming.

I think what's been lost in the FF series since then is that they've fallen in love with angst for angst's sake, and forgotten that it's a tool for character development. In FF6, those issues the characters had gave them a motivation to move forward. It doesn't sound like you can say the same about the issues the characters in FF13 have. Either way, it sounds like there's bigger problems there than just the story; I haven't played it, but I trust you guys know what you're talking about.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Davidizer brings up an awesome point. To expound further, the angstfest in FFVII (considered to be the start of all of this) was STILL used as a vehicle for character development. The game was about resolving characters issues more or less, as each one of these characters (with the exception of Yuffie) was pretty much brought together because of Shinra and Sephiroth. In defeating Sephiroth they defeated their issues together. It was supposed to be a happily ever after...

... But then they got into the angst for angst's sake thing with the reintroduction of the add-on games and backpedal'd on the characters' developments.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Solid Ronin wrote:I feel the exact same way.

[spoiler] The pillar holding Cocoon didn't bother me so much. You see Fang and Vanille moving the world itself to make the column. So Its easy for me to believe that they also held the citys in check as they were doing nine different things at once. And while that is filling in spots for the game, I've come to expect this from any Japanese story.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, it wasn't a huge problem for me (this is Final Fantasy, so they really can just say it's magic). But it bugged me, because it highlighted one of the things I felt should have been more fleshed out. I would have liked to get a better sense for the relative size of Pulse and Cocoon. I mean, is it orbiting? Does it have enough gravity to have the cities on the surface? Or are they inside with fake weather? That seems likely, because we never see Pulse looming in the sky.[/spoiler]

Solid Ronin wrote:The remark wasn't intended as "Screw you for not liking what I like.". But rather as a "If you wanted to watch a comedy why did you rent Schindler's List."

If you just meant "fun" like a genre, I'm fine with that. I was interpreting it more like, "No one could enjoy Schindler's List because it isn't funny."
uc pseudonym

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:33 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1386145) wrote:If you just meant "fun" like a genre, I'm fine with that. I was interpreting it more like, "No one could enjoy Schindler's List because it isn't funny."

Its a bit of a one two punch on my part. I've never seen playing RPGS as "fun" to play (the exception being this one..slightly.)

Two: It's as you said. None of the Final Fantasy games I've played have had a light hearted story*, and for anyone to expect it out of this one seems unrealistic to me. It's fine if someone doesn't like it, but know what your getting into.

*Note = The only Light hearted story I've seen out of the FF games would probably be FFX-2.
Solid Ronin

Postby Chosen Raven » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 pm

[quote]Lightning is your typical veteran with a cold exterior, and I have to wonder if people would call her “witchyâ€
The Devil's gonna get his....
Chosen Raven

Location: Texas. That's the best danged state in the union to you, bub.

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews