Starcraft II - It official

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby blkmage » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 pm

The new briefing room makes me ridiculously happy.
Although, not completely happy. I want to be a Magistrate/Executor/Cerebrate again. :(
blkmage

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Oh... my... gosh...

http://starcraft2.com/features/protoss/

Dark Templars are incredibly sexy. Much sexier than before.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 am

I agree, the dark Templars are way cooler in this incarnation then before.

However my favorite of the new units is the Viking. I was mad when I realized my Goliath would be gone, however I am no longer mad.

You know someone on the team watched transformers and said, "Cool, lets us it." XD
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Peanut » Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Yes I am grave digging this thread...mostly because I don't feel like making a new one. Starcraft 2 is supposed to comes out this July and I'm pumped. I just pre-ordered my copy today and have briefly played the Beta. From just that little bit, I'm already convinced that this game is going to be awesome. It has the exact same feel as the original Starcraft but with some subtle changes that make it entirely different. I haven't played enough to really elaborate on my experience playing the game, but so far I really like the Roaches ability to move while burrowed. I can already see how this will be very useful for base raiding and ambushing forces sent to attack you.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat May 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Beta is awesome. Game mechanics and strategies are totally different too.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Roberts » Sun May 16, 2010 2:55 am

Pretty sure I missed the 'beta key from pre-order' run they had going, out of ignorance of course.

Good to hear the game is plodding along well at this point though. Not long now :thumbsup:.
Roberts

Postby Peanut » Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Out of complete curiosity, is anyone else besides MSP and myself playing the Beta?

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Bumping this thread again because...I just got my copy...oh joyous day!!!! Also, I wish I had bought the special edition...oh well...

Peanut

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Amazon isn't shipping my shipment that has it yet 。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。
blkmage

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:30 am

Yeah... I kinda wish I got the special edition too. The one game where I didn't buy the special edition but wish I did... how ironic.

Anyway. I played for like probably 4 hours straight. New campaign mode is excellent. Easy though, lol. Still hesitant to play on battle.net with the hardcore peoples, lol.

But yes. BUY THIS GAME.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 am

I'm an outcast even among gamers here in Korea because I don't like RTS games... Which includes Starcraft.

I bet the PC 방 have been loaded the last couple days, provided all of them got their copies installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Would you need a mouse to play this game? I'm kind of interested in playing it but I'm just on a mac book pro w/ no mouse...

I don't buy computer games ever really but since this is for the mac and it looked interesting, I thought I'd give it a try... if it's playable without a mouse... or can just use the little finger pad on the macbook.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1413085) wrote:Would you need a mouse to play this game? I'm kind of interested in playing it but I'm just on a mac book pro w/ no mouse...

I don't buy computer games ever really but since this is for the mac and it looked interesting, I thought I'd give it a try... if it's playable without a mouse... or can just use the little finger pad on the macbook.

As a rule, RTS (and FPS) games need a mouse. While I haven't played Starcraft II, I have played Starcraft I, and it seems that the rule holds: If you don't have a mouse, you won't be moving your cursor around the screen anywhere near fast enough to win.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:17 pm

But a mouse for a macbook isn't gonna be that expensive... I think my gaming mouse that I have hooked into my Mac Pro only cost me like...twenty bucks, if that.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Update: my Amazon shipment arrived the next day, after I posted. I played for about five minutes before going back to study for my finals over the next two weeks.

Also, I am using a cheapo $10 mouse with my Macbook Pro.
blkmage

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I was all ready to buy this game but checking amazon, I noticed with over 700 reviews, the game only has a 3 star rating... which is quite low for so many reviews for a popular and highly anticipated game (the reviews with one star and five star are nearly equal with so it's split pretty much right down the center). I read a handful of reviews and it seems similar to the complaints of games like Spore (which I avoided after reading the complaints about that. I can't stand when companies feel they have to do business like that). What do people here think about their complaints?
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

1. Most people will compare SC2 to SC1. Yes there are notable differences, but I think they do not deter from the game. SC2 is SC2. It's not SC1 with updated graphics. It was reworked from the ground up.

2. Their complaints about b.net have some legitimacy. However, it's not enough to deter me away.

In terms of the game itself. Solid. Just do yourself the favor and buy it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Peanut » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1413425) wrote:I was all ready to buy this game but checking amazon, I noticed with over 700 reviews, the game only has a 3 star rating... which is quite low for so many reviews for a popular and highly anticipated game (the reviews with one star and five star are nearly equal with so it's split pretty much right down the center). I read a handful of reviews and it seems similar to the complaints of games like Spore (which I avoided after reading the complaints about that. I can't stand when companies feel they have to do business like that). What do people here think about their complaints?

The DRM is not as bad as Spore's from what I can tell. You do have to do somethings on BNet to get it to play when your offline but I don't think the game prevents you from installing it on more then three computers like Spore did. MSP has pretty much covered the other complaints. The major review sites have been loving the game so far and it may end up being one of the most critically acclaimed PC games that Metacritic has kept track of (it currently has a score of 94) and is easily one of the best games of this year. In other words, pick it up.

Peanut

Postby blkmage » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:25 pm

The DRM is basically the same thing Steam does. What people are probably complaining about are:
1. Lack of LAN play, an argument which I can see from both sides, and
2. There being only a Terran campaign in this, which is dumb, because the Terran campaign is about as long as a full game and expansion packs are an inevitability anyway
blkmage

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I was annoyed when I bought it and then found out that I was just under system requirement to play it...

So I have to wait until I get a new computer to play it (That will be a long time)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Furen (post: 1416158) wrote:I was annoyed when I bought it and then found out that I was just under system requirement to play it...

So I have to wait until I get a new computer to play it (That will be a long time)

Look at the bright side, you won't have to wait another year and a half, wondering what Blizzard is going to do with this story, for the next game in the series. You get the privileged of experiencing the first game, the second game and possibly the third game (if it takes you three years to upgrade your computer) to experience this entire plot. And let me tell you, I kind of wish I was in your position...

While we're speaking of system requirements for Starcraft 2, I'm actually a little surprised your having difficulty with it Furen. SC2 has been telling me that my Video Device driver is out of date and not supported by it since I bought the game and yet the only problems I've had have been some lag at points in the campaign...and my computer is about 3 years old...and is a laptop...

Peanut

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Well my computers are about 15 years old so they can be slow sometimes...
the laptop I tried playing it on is not quite that old but it's out best computer in the house.

Thanks for the positive (Although I don't really want to dish out another $120 to get all the story (But I might depending on how good the storyline is))

how good is the story line anyway, I was told you have to play minimum twice because of some crucial decisions that sway game-play.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Dude. Ending was absolutely sexy.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 pm

So it would totally be worth buying all 3 expantions?
Furen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Dude the games are worth your SOUL.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1416227) wrote:Dude. Ending was absolutely sexy.

...I disagree vehemently...undermining everything established in Starcraft and Brood War does not make a good ending in my book. The only thing that could redeem that ending is if Blizzard takes it in a direction which I'm not expecting them to take it in. With that being said, I still love this game and love how they told the story...so yes, all three games (cause they aren't really supposed to be expansions) are worth buying.

Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Hmm. It didn't seem like an undermining to me. More of a... lack of connection to the original story.

Unless that's what you meant.

I just like a happy ending. lolol
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:31 am

I find blizzard to not have the best stories ever, that's where I go to Square Enix/Bandi Namco, or intellegent systems Fire Emblem series.
Furen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

Furen (post: 1416297) wrote:I find blizzard to not have the best stories ever, that's where I go to Square Enix/Bandi Namco, or intellegent systems Fire Emblem series.

Disagree. Blizzard has always had top-notch stories and lore. You ever play the Diablo or Warcraft series? Starcraft's story I suppose (Peanut would argue) has gone down the drain a bit. But the Diablo/Warcraft realms has always had top-notch stories.

As for Square Enix... I find their stories to be laughable. Some stand out. The older games, mostly.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:42 am

He thinks Square-Enix and Bandai-Namco have games with good stories.

laughinggirls.jpg

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews