Starcraft II - It official

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 am

The fourth faction...the [spoiler]Xel'naga[/spoiler] perhaps?
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Yahshua » Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 am

The gameplay video is up in the site now.
Yahshua

Postby Omega Amen » Mon May 21, 2007 4:44 pm

About a hypothetical fourth faction....
[spoiler]The Xel'Naga or the hybrids and Duran working for the Xel'naga has been the typical choice for an hypothetical fourth faction. That race is mentioned in the StarCraft manual. They made the Protoss and Zerg, were almost destroyed by both of them at one time, and thought they were "failures" in their experiment for the perfect race. Kerrigan near the end of Brood War mentioned something about preparing for a new threat, and I can personally see the Xel'naga deeming the hybrids as the perfect race and seeking out to "erase" the mistakes.[/spoiler]but that all hinges if there ever is a new faction later on. It is certainly not going to be in the initial release of StarCraft II, and I still think it is a ton of work for Blizzard and a lot of risk for them to take that path. But then, I am sure they want to extend this franchise as long as they can....

The gameplay videos are huge (449MB or 268MB depending on the resolution you choose), though I think it will be worth it. High-res StarCraft for once.

Either way, if you are waiting while they are downloading, here is another Korean pro league match. Very well played, and as you can tell, there are a lot of recorded matches on youtube.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Kenshin17 » Mon May 21, 2007 4:50 pm

Perhaps. I need to swim through the campaign just to refresh my memory of the story. I also have yet to fully complete it myself from Terren in StarCraft to Zerg in Brood War. Maybe this will be how I ready myself for number II.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Omega Amen » Mon May 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Kenshin17 wrote:Perhaps. I need to swim through the campaign just to refresh my memory of the story. I also have yet to fully complete it myself from Terren in StarCraft to Zerg in Brood War. Maybe this will be how I ready myself for number II.

Yeah, all this StarCraft II info overload has caused me to re-install and replay the game. I even got back into Battle.net, and they just released the 1.15 patch a couple of weeks ago.

*laughs.* And, I am really horrible playing it right now.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Kenshin17 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 pm

I have been using the cheatcodes just so I can play around with whatever units I want and do whatever I want. But then I have always prefered single player so *shrug* its fun for me.
Kenshin17

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 21, 2007 5:10 pm

I imagine commanding the ranks of a race known for playing gods in their own backyard would offer some interesting unit choices.
Fish and Chips

Postby Peanut » Mon May 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Kenshin17 wrote:Perhaps. I need to swim through the campaign just to refresh my memory of the story. I also have yet to fully complete it myself from Terren in StarCraft to Zerg in Brood War. Maybe this will be how I ready myself for number II.

It's good to know I'm not alone. I recently reloaded Starcraft and am trying to play through it without cheats...I might even load Brood War as well and get back on Battle.net...I was never very good to begin with and seeing as how I haven't played in forever I can imagine that I'm going to be terrible...oh well...I'll still have fun :lol: .
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:09 am

The gameplay trailer was awesome. I so wanna use the Protoss mothership :grin: Or the Immortals....and the Terren Reapers look cool (Can someone say Assault Marine) The Siege Tanks look rightfully cool, as do the Zealots. Oh I can't wait for this one.
Kenshin17

Postby Peanut » Tue May 22, 2007 11:05 am

I personally liked the Stalkers more then the Immortals. The Protoss Mothership was, simply put, awesome. I do have to wonder what it's Zerg and Terran equivalents are going to be.

Peanut

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:35 pm

Yeah...*imagines the awesome possibilities*

I loved the ending:

"Nuclear missle ready"

"Nuclear launch detected"

So awesome.
Kenshin17

Postby Omega Amen » Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 pm

It seems that this first gameplay video is mainly focused on changes to the Protoss race. For now, it looks like the Protoss got all the cool toys (which is usually the case).... I mean, calling up black holes at will? That is just sweet. Hopefully, Blizzard will display other gameplay videos highlighting the other races.

But there was one detail that really stood out to me a lot more than the Protoss Mothership. That is the ability to Warp In. That one ability completely changes Protoss gameplay.

Think about it. In the original StarCraft, to get a ground troop, you had wait one by one for each troop to come out right at the Gateway. With Warp In, you can spawn ground troops immediately and anywhere within range of a pylon or phase prism field! Combine this with the Zealot sprint ability, and the Stalker blink ability, and the Protoss ground force turns into an elite, blitzkrieg, assault force, a completely different characterization of Protoss ground units than in original StarCraft.

One thing is for sure: while the changes to units and abilities may seem small-scale and conservative, it still means that completely different strategies will have to be learned and mastered for this new game. It will not play the same way, which makes even more eager for videos on changes to the Terrans and the Zerg.

Omega Amen

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Indeed. Blizzard knows RTS. They will not fail us.
Kenshin17

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Besides the fact we don't even see what Blizzard has for the Terrans and Zerg. I can't wait to see what new stuff they have.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Oh yeah
The Terrens have always been my favorite
Kenshin17

Postby Slater » Tue May 22, 2007 8:26 pm

I wanna see more of what the Zerg has to offer. Hydralisk Hunting Parties ftw.
Slater

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:43 pm

A new video featuring more protoss units has just been released. New Video

Those Phase Canons look like they will produce some neat base defense strategies.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

New StarCraft II Video from PC Gamer on YouTube!

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:59 pm

My impressions:

Soul Hunter - Infantry unit on a hoverboard with beam weaponry? What is their role compared to the Zealots/Immortals/Stalkers ground units? In other words, why I would warp these guys over existing Protoss ground units?

Phase Cannon - While it looks the same as in SC1, it has the ability to move to a different spot within Pylon range. I would have thought Terrans would more likely to have mobile base defenses.

Tempest - To me, it acts like the Carrier from SC1, but its color has a Dark Templar vibe to it. Hmm....

Twilight Archon - To me, it acts like an Archon from SC1. I am not sure what is its difference other than the name.

Other observation - The Terran Firebat explosion animation is awesome. (Maybe using real-time physics?)

Omega Amen

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 pm

I think one thing I've noticed that I am enjoying is the inclusion of Dark Templar design. You can tell which Protoss units are regular Protoss and which units are of Dark Templar origin based on the way the unit was built and the materials of the armour and such.
blkmage

Postby Kenshin17 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 pm

Indeed the more prevalent Dark Templar are very cool. I also like the Terren I have seen.

That trailer was awesome, though I don't know that I like the hoversled one.
Kenshin17

BlizzCon '07 Megaton Update: Terrans and Single Player Campaign Demonstrated!

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Alright, StarCraft fans, this year's BlizzCon has revealed a good deal of information. Terran players rejoice! There was a live demonstration on the new stuff for the scrappy and tough human faction and it looks really awesome. Plus, the single player campaign was also demonstrated with lots of new features and a little teaser of the storyline at the end.

And there's videos for both: Click here to go to Gamespot's videos. For Terran demonstration, watch the "Starcraft II Terran Faction Blizzcon Preview" video. For the single player campaign demonstration, click on the "Starcraft II Single Player Campaign BlizzCon Preview" video.

I am going to highlight the major stuff in both videos:

Terran Faction Demonstration
  • Command Center can now transport SCVs when it goes mobile.
  • Barracks can create a Nuclear Reactor add-on, which allows another production queue for troops!
  • Add-ons are interchangeable between certain building structures.
  • New structure called Sensor Tower. It can be upgraded to Radar Tower, which has the ability to detect enemy movements and numbers beyond the fog of war.
  • Each Battlecruiser can have its own special weapon.
  • New unit called Viking. It can fly in the air with anti-air weapons, and it can go into ground assault mode to walk on the ground and do ground attacks.
  • New air unit called Banshee. Only has anti-ground attacks but can also cloak.
  • Reapers have ability to throw mines to destroy slow ground units or structures.
  • Command Center has its own defense cannon to protect the base!
  • Supply Depots can be used has barricades. How do you not trap yourself in? You can command the Supply Depots to submerge so troops can move over them!
  • Mega Ground Unit is the Thor! So big that a SCV has to construct it! Mega firepower but slow turning speed, making it vulnerable to highly mobile units.
  • Cobras are new hover-tank units with a rail gun, fairly mobile with high firepower.
  • Ghosts while cloaked have a sniping ability! They also can call down troop reinforcements on command like the nuclear strike!

Single Player Campaign Demonstration
  • No more Briefing Rooms. Dialogue and cutscenes will take place at a locale for each faction's campaign that is completely rendered using the game's graphics engine. Starting point shown is the bridge of the battlecruiser Hyperion.
  • Two new characters are on the bridge, Matt Horner, second-in-command officer, and Tychus Findlay, the marine in the debut trailer.
  • Jim Raynor is controlled by the player, and apparently, he seems to be an alcoholic.
  • Clicking on other characters starts a dialogue scene. Player has multiple dialogue options, like Bioware's RPGs, to flesh out the story and open sub-plots.
  • Rooms shown are interactive and can be clicked on for menus and such.
  • The player can move Jim to a different room, and it can trigger a special cutscene for introducing sub-plots. The example shown is the sign of crew discontent and talk of mutiny.
  • In single player campaign, player earns money and can purchase the techs for the next mission!
  • The star map on the bridge shows planets that can be traveled, and each has window with information about the planet's history, including videos. Next mission to attempt is selected on the star map.
  • After missions, expect characters to disappear, change, or new characters to arrive in the story mode area.
  • Last cutscene shows Jim Raynor talking to Zeratul. The return of the Xel'naga as the major plotline CONFIRMED!!

Omega Amen

Postby Aleolus » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:29 am

Coolness. Did they demo any of the other races, or say what spiffy new stuff they got as well?

Also, when does this game come out? I'm wanting to buy it, but I haven't got very much patience.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby Peanut » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:33 am

Aleolus wrote:Coolness. Did they demo any of the other races, or say what spiffy new stuff they got as well?

The Protoss were also playable at Blizzcon but they had already demonstrated them and have revealed a lot of units for them as well. The Zerg have only made a brief appearance in their announcement trailer and in the first 15 minute gameplay video, so they haven't really shown anything with them yet.

Aleolus wrote:Also, when does this game come out? I'm wanting to buy[ it, but I haven't got very much patience.

To quote Blizzard, it will come out when it's ready...yeah, Blizzard hasn't revealed a release date yet. But judging by the demos that they have shown I would have to guess that it will be released sometime between the summer of 2008 and the summer of 2009 (I hope...). So your going to have to wait a little bit, but with the way things look so far, it should be worth it. I must say that after seeing those videos I am even more excited for this game then I was before and they haven't even begun to reveal what they have planned for my favorite race (the Zerg) yet.

Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:54 am

Omega Amen wrote:Think about it. In the original StarCraft, to get a ground troop, you had wait one by one for each troop to come out right at the Gateway. With Warp In, you can spawn ground troops immediately and anywhere within range of a pylon or phase prism field! Combine this with the Zealot sprint ability, and the Stalker blink ability, and the Protoss ground force turns into an elite, blitzkrieg, assault force, a completely different characterization of Protoss ground units than in original StarCraft.

I was thinking about that, and I have several thoughts.

1. I have a feeling that warping in will require the usage of some resources. Maybe it will take some extra time? Perhaps require the use of energy. I don't know for certain.

2. When I'm Protoss, I specialize in using a wide variety of units. While my friend usually masses ground foot-troops with the occasional Scouts, I generally specialize in the usage of Carriers, Arbiters, and Reavers as well as foot troops being warped in via Arbiter. A much more harder to use tactic, but I think it's stronger.

The warp in does seem to be very similar to the Arbiter's Recall skill, minus the Arbiter however. Though with the new Warp-In ability, I doubt that Arbiters will be present in SCII (Which is a shame, they're great when it comes to protecting your base or attacking due to their ability to cloak other units).
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I was thinking about that, and I have several thoughts.

1. I have a feeling that warping in will require the usage of some resources. Maybe it will take some extra time? Perhaps require the use of energy. I don't know for certain.

2. When I'm Protoss, I specialize in using a wide variety of units. While my friend usually masses ground foot-troops with the occasional Scouts, I generally specialize in the usage of Carriers, Arbiters, and Reavers as well as foot troops being warped in via Arbiter. A much more harder to use tactic, but I think it's stronger.

The warp in does seem to be very similar to the Arbiter's Recall skill, minus the Arbiter however. Though with the new Warp-In ability, I doubt that Arbiters will be present in SCII (Which is a shame, they're great when it comes to protecting your base or attacking due to their ability to cloak other units).

Well, the Warp-In ability looks like is gained via an upgrade to the Protoss Gateway structure called Warp Gate.

Click here to see pictures of the current tech trees for both Protoss and Terrans

Do realize those tech trees are a work-in-progress so who knows what might come back or leave....

That being said, remember the Arbiters drew their power from Aiur of the Judicator caste... and the Protoss had to flee Aiur at the end of Brood War. This explains why there are no Dragoons... and I suspect that will be the reason there are no Arbiters as well.

Still though, I do not think that is a great loss. In SC2, you have the Phase Prisms, which can hover and act as pylons or with the warp ability can teleport troops.

Things will be different in SC2. StarCraft fans will have to realize this.

Omega Amen

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Omega Amen wrote:Things will be different in SC2. StarCraft fans will have to realize this.

Without change, there is no point in a sequel. If it was more of the same, might as well just market it as a remake, though I have no doubt that a duplicate of the original StarCraft, with nothing more than a graphical facelift, would still be a goldmine for Blizzard.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Omega Amen wrote:Things will be different in SC2. StarCraft fans will have to realize this.

That's actually the biggest problem for me. I'm 100% confident that SC2 will still feel like Starcraft, but a good chunk of my current knowledge and strategy will have to be reworked to suit the new changes.

Of course, this applies to everyone. BUT STILL! I don't want to be an newbie again, lol.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Blizzard Fan Priority List
  1. StarCraft
  2. Waiting for StarCraft II
  3. God
  4. WarCraft
  5. Sex
  6. Sustenance
  7. World of WarCraft
  8. Lost Vikings
  9. Friends and family
  10. Other games
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Blizzard Fan Priority List
  1. StarCraft
  2. Waiting for StarCraft II
  3. God
  4. WarCraft
  5. Sex
  6. Sustenance
  7. World of WarCraft
  8. Lost Vikings
  9. Friends and family
  10. Other games

IT'S SO TRUE!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Bumping for the greater good of humanity.

Everyone needs to see this video

Vikings? Supply Depots being able to go underground? BCs with torpedos? Gun mounted on a Command Center? Ghost drop boxes? Terran FTW.

And here is a preview of the single player campaign.
Mr. SmartyPants

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews