Link's guide to writing good reviews

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Link's guide to writing good reviews

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:22 pm

To ensure we provide high quality reviews, please be sure you follow these guidelines for creating your review. These instructions are written and maintained by Link Antilles.

Steps to better Video Game reviewing:

1. Picking a game:

I know many here are eager to review their favorite games of all time. However, just impulsively picking a game you love and reviewing is no always the best course of action. Reviews take time, planning, patience, and objectivity. When choosing a game ask yourself these questions:

-Have I honestly beat the game or can I? Before any review is submitted to VGRD, beat the entire game first.
-Am I experienced with the game’s genre? Being objective is very important in review writing and it is a ton easier to do so if you have played similar games. It is always helpful to have a comparison available to drive a point across.
-How long ago did I play the game? It is painfully hard to discuss something like offensive content if it has been a couple of years since you last played through the game. Ideally, you should be working on the review as you are playing the game. So, make sure to take notes!
-Did I rush through the game? Try not to speed-run through a game for the sake of the review. Here’s what I mean: Let’s pretend I am reviewing a Final Fantasy game and I skip through all of the dialogue. I might be able to figure out things and beat the game in less time, but I am missing the story. For a game like Final Fantasy, the story is a big part of its appeal. I recommend just going at a normal pace.
-Did I play the multiplayer? You may love the single player of Halo 2, but if you do not have X-box LIVE, you are missing out on the multiplayer. And a review of a game like Halo 2 with no mention of multiplayer is just simply not acceptable.

Again, keep these questions in mind before you pledge to review a game in “Video Game Review Requestâ€
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm

I'll submit a Katamari Damacy review. Let me know what you think!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Is it all right if I suggest an addition to the "Picking a game" rules? I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea to review a game which is still under construction (that is, if you've only played through a demo of it). Of course, that would mean no reviews of The Traveller's Guide until I've finished making it. :lol:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Aleolus » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Anyone object if I enter a review of The Legend of Dragoon?
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby MomoAdachi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I think I submitted a review of the Winx Club PC game a while back. Did it get rejected?
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:51 pm

It is still in the database. Otherwise, please note the FAQ:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=46640

Why is my review not up yet?

All reviews must be approved to ensure they are accurate. This approval process is done by the volunteer staff and does not always move consistently. Also, there may be no one available who can confirm the accuracy of a given review, so expect some delay.
uc pseudonym

About online play...

Postby Kerusso » Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I was writing a review for Super Smash Bros. Brawl when I realized that I had never played online (I've tried before, no luck with connection). Is that gonna be a problem?
Heaven is only Heaven because God is in it.

[color="YellowGreen"][/color]There's only one good thing about Mary Sues... they don't exist in real life.

Forcing religion, or any ideology for that matter, down someone's throat, is not that different from doing the same with a physical object: it's an unpleasant experience to the recipient, who will likely dislike you for it afterwards.
Kerusso

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Honestly, we're right on the edge of making some fairly significant changes to the Reviews System (I guess this post is probably letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak.) It would probably be a better idea to wait a bit first, honestly.

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm, though!
Mithrandir

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 am

I submitted a review of Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.Is it still bein looked over?
Zeldafan2

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 am

Zeldafan2 (post: 1529635) wrote:I submitted a review of Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.Is it still bein looked over?

This is very much outdated.

The review system has been changed entirely during the last half of the other year- reviews themselves are no longer looked over. You only submit info on the title you want. If you went to 'submit a title', then that information was right there for you to read. The mods just look over and approve the basic information (publisher, age rating, breif description). It says right on the page that it's not for submitting an actual review.

After the title itself and the info on it has been approved, any member can go on and submit review info. This way there are multiple opinions/reviews on a title instead of the one-opinion-per-title system.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Is there by any chance a guide on writing great anime reviews? :jump:
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1529764) wrote:Is there by any chance a guide on writing great anime reviews? :jump:

I suggest patterning them off of good anime reviews you read. For instance, before I got started, I devoured most of the reviews on THEM Anime Reviews, because they are incredibly well-written, often witty and funny, and work really well... probably why it's one of the biggest review sites out there.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1529764) wrote:Is there by any chance a guide on writing great anime reviews? :jump:

Atria35 (post: 1529766) wrote:I suggest patterning them off of good anime reviews you read.

THIS.
Neane

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:22 am

I noticed that Link didn't say anything about storyline. That's an important element of games too!
seaglass27

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

Story is an important element but you want to avoid spoiling anything, the trick being to give enough background to tell people what's going on and clue them in on any weirdness that they might want to avoid, while not giving too much of the plot itself away.

It's something that you have to take on a case by case basis.

Some games like Super Smash Bros. and Katamari Damacy either have little story or give most of it away in the opening so you can go ahead and tell us all about them.

Other games, mostly RPGs like SW:KOTOR have significant plot twists that really shouldn't be given away.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews