rpg without magic

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

rpg without magic

Postby jayquam » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:45 am

does anyone know of a good rpg that doesnt have magic in it?
Serious, Intense, Low-key.
jayquam

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 am

Knight of the old republic is all i can thing but they still have the force.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:56 am

Can I just point out the hilarity that someone is concerned about magic in an RPG but is quoting the Boondocks in their signature?

Is that funny to anyone else? Anyone? Oh, it must just be me.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:03 am

Umm...I...don't think one exists. XD Well, other than KOTOR, but...uh...hahahah, yeah. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:15 am

Yes. It's called The Traveller's Guide. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Myoti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 am

Sigma Star Saga for GBA is the first thing that comes to mind, mostly due to it's more sci-fi nature. The Megaman Battle Network series doesn't technically have any either, and I think Wild Arms is exempt as well (though I haven't played).

Can I just point out the hilarity that someone is concerned about magic in an RPG but is quoting the Boondocks in their signature?

Actually, yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Myoti

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:38 am

Kkun wrote:Can I just point out the hilarity that someone is concerned about magic in an RPG but is quoting the Boondocks in their signature?

I didn't even notice that HAHAAHAHA
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:17 am

Myoti wrote:Sigma Star Saga for GBA is the first thing that comes to mind, mostly due to it's more sci-fi nature. The Megaman Battle Network series doesn't technically have any either, and I think Wild Arms is exempt as well (though I haven't played).

Actually, yes, I was thinking the same thing.

I second Mega Man Battle Network! Great games.
Mega.EXE

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 pm

Mario RPGs......

Megaman X Command Comission....

ect, ect.

Kkun, I also find that funny but people can get offended by magic and not racial slurs.
Tommy

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:54 pm

Okay guys, let's cut out with the Boondock-bashing okay? Let's not point stuff out like that. He wants to avoid magic in RPGs, that's fine. He likes the Boondocks, okay that's fine too. Maybe he's somebody that relates to the show.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Wild ARMs has magic.

Mega Man X Command Mission is a good, solid RPG with no magic. Other than that and the Battle Network series you're not gonna find an RPG that doesn't have magic in it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Nate, the Mario RPGs lack magic.

And I already said Megaman X Command Mission.
Tommy

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Nate, the Mario RPGs lack magic.

Kamek is a Magikoopa. Mario and Luigi shoot fireballs and lightning.

Yes, the Mario RPGs have magic.

Nate

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:59 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Kamek is a Magikoopa.

I don't know what the means but it's going in my sig. Saying that out loud gave me a good laugh.

Anyways, which stem of Mario games is this? I was thinking of the Paper Ones specifically. I don't recall those ones having magic.

If you're talking about Super Star Saga and/or Partners in Time, I just would like to point out I highly disliked those games enough to progress to the point where you learn magic.
Tommy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Anyways, which stem of Mario games is this? I was thinking of the Paper Ones specifically. I don't recall those ones having magic.

No, those had magic, too. Remember Kammy Koopa? Also, I guess some of the Stars' attacks could be considered magical in nature.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:03 pm

Tom... You refer to the Mario RPG series without including... Mario RPG (SNES)

I have no response to that... Except... Nope, no response...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I don't know what the means but it's going in my sig.

Um...Kamek is a Magikoopa?

A Magikoopa (カ]I was thinking of the Paper Ones specifically. I don't recall those ones having magic.[/QUOTE]
The first game involves collecting talking stars, which goes into the magical. The second is rife with magic, involving a door with a magical seal to imprison a great evil. The Mario games are by their nature full of magic, so they would be disqualified.

Nate

Postby Photosoph » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:13 pm

The only other thing I can think of would be perhaps that turn-based, tactical combat games might be something you'd enjoy. I know they're not RPGs, but you can get some of these (or at least two that I know of: Advance Wars and its sequel) with as far as I can tell, don't contain any magic. They're not RPGs, but perhaps you might enjoy the tactical, turn-based combat genre.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby jayquam » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Kkun wrote:Can I just point out the hilarity that someone is concerned about magic in an RPG but is quoting the Boondocks in their signature?

HEY,the boondocks is good reading,as long as you dont watch the show.
jayquam

Postby Steve Racer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:32 pm

There's plenty of Sci Fi RPGs like Paranoia and some Palladium universes.

If you are interested, I did write an article about how it is okay for Christians to play D&D, here it is:

Christians Playing D&D
-Steve Racer
Director of Fans for Christ
Author of God Loves the Freaks
Film and Voice Actor
Steve Racer

Postby jayquam » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:35 pm

thanks all
jayquam

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Steve Racer wrote:There's plenty of Sci Fi RPGs like Paranoia and some Palladium universes.

If you are interested, I did write an article about how it is okay for Christians to play D&D, here it is:

Christians Playing D&D

The thing about the Bible "borrowing" demons from other religions is, um... No good... Sort of a black mark on what was turning into a good article... What's the point of believing in a religion you believe was formed and borrowed from other religions...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:13 pm

That's an issue we probably shouldn't discuss in detail, as I can't imagine it not getting into difficult theological water.

kaemmerite wrote:The Mario games are by their nature full of magic, so they would be disqualified.

However, I think they might qualify under certain circumstances. In most of the games (the excellent Seven Stars excepted) the player never uses magic, just physical techniques. Some people who object to the use of magic in games don't mind if the villains use it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:10 pm

If you have an Xbox 360, I suggest you wait until Mass Effect comes out next year. That is a Sci-Fi RPG made by Bioware (fantastic RPG developers). From what I have seen so far, it is pure Sci-Fi with space and aliens but no magic.

It does use a First-Person Shooter gameplay mechanic, which is atypical for RPGs. That mechanic may or may not appeal to you.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 pm

Pokemon...XD (i don't think it's magic but you guys might)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Myoti » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:33 am

However, I think they might qualify under certain circumstances. In most of the games (the excellent Seven Stars excepted) the player never uses magic, just physical techniques. Some people who object to the use of magic in games don't mind if the villains use it.

Except that they use "magic" in everyone of the games.
Paper Mario? "Magic" Star attacks and magical characters. Mario and Luigi? Fire and lightning hand attacks.

Of course, it's not as though these were meant to be "occultic" in nature or the like, but "magic" is there (in pretty much every Mario game in general).
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:29 am

Bobtheduck wrote:Tom... You refer to the Mario RPG series without including... Mario RPG (SNES)

I have no response to that... Except... Nope, no response...

Well, that has magic, doesn't it?

I've played it and I know by far it's the best one but I knew beforehand it had magic.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:06 pm

It was just that you referred to the category as if the best game in it didn't exist. Presumably all is well with your clarification.

Myoti wrote:Except that they use "magic" in everyone of the games.
Paper Mario? "Magic" Star attacks and magical characters. Mario and Luigi? Fire and lightning hand attacks.

Of course, it's not as though these were meant to be "occultic" in nature or the like, but "magic" is there (in pretty much every Mario game in general).

Amazing what slips the mind in time. I completely forgot about the Hand attacks from Mario and Luigi (likely because I wasn't fond of them). As for the Paper Mario Stars, those strike me as non-traditional enough that some people might not be bothered by them. Fairly obviously that varies from person to person.

And you could just play without using the magic, if that soothes your conscience...
uc pseudonym

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 pm

The Xenogears and Xenosaga games don't have magic. All of the "magical" type atacks used by characters are actually caused by nanomachines or something like that.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Ryupower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:45 pm

wellll.....games like Maplestory have little magic in them, and that only by wizards and stuff....

A few (free even) MMORPG's. That's all I can think of. There was one about Pirates I saw the other day....I guess that won't have magic-
I used to be very strict of such things, but Maplestory was OK IMO, because magic isn't a requirement. And they don't have these magic spell things for non-wizards...

Then there's also another MMORPG called "there" which doesn't have levels tho, it's purely social...sorta like the "sims" mmorpg
My DA

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Ryupower

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews