Servant Alliance Devotional Readings - Ideas and Discussion

The Servant Alliance is a self-organizing group who share a common goal - serving the board's spiritual needs through prayer, helping in the CGQ&A forum and the Devotional Readings area, and other areas of support that the group decides on.

Servant Alliance Devotional Readings - Ideas and Discussion

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get the ball rolling with some discussion regarding the Devotional Readings area. This thread is a place where you can discuss ideas about potential devotional topics, link to devotional materials, talk about the mechanics of picking acceptable topics, etc.

If you find a devotion you would like to suggest for the Devotional Readings area, please post it here for comment.

It is our hope that you will all grow closer to God and each other as you collaborate on this effort.

Have fun, and may God bless this endeavor!
Mith
Mithrandir

Re: Servant Alliance Devotional Readings - Ideas and Discussion

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Well, I'm subscribed to the Institute for Creation Research's Daily Devotionals which I find to be very insightful(and convicting, sometimes...). However, as their name makes obvious, some of them draw heavily on what I belive qualifies as the cosmology that is not to be discussed here. So would it be alright to sift and post, or does the nature of the origins make this a bad idea?
Rusty Claymore

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:19 am

That's a good question. I know CAA is more or less divided down the middle in regards to New Earth vs Old (which I won't go into), and while I appreciate ICR's approach to things, sharing here might pose a risk for debate.
K. Ayato

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

I've read Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest continuously for several years now. There are still passages which befuddle me, though fewer than when I started. I have yet to find anything objectionable in what he says, though I'm sure in a community such as CAA someone will. Nevertheless, I find it very thought-provoking.
ClosetOtaku

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Rusty I would say that you might want to make absolutely sure it's not going to drag into a cosmology debate. At all. If it's hinging any argument on age of the earth, civilization etc. it's probably going to be breaking the rules.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:21 pm

CO's idea is a great one, by the way. There is a great deal of good material in that book!
Mithrandir

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 pm

For purposes of discussion about appropriateness of a particular devotional, here is the entry for December 18th in My Utmost for His Highest (original edition):

Oswald Chambers wrote:And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God. — Romans 8:28

It is only the loyal soul who believes that God engineers circumstances. We take such liberty with our circumstances, we do not believe God engineers them, although we say we do; we treat the things that happen as if they were engineered by men. To be faithful in every circumstance means that we have only one loyalty, and that is to our Lord. Suddenly God breaks up a particular set of circumstances, and the realization comes that we have been disloyal to Him by not recognizing that He had ordered them; we never saw what He was after, and that particular thing will never be repeated all the days of our life. The test of loyalty always comes just there. If we learn to worship God in the trying circumstances, He will alter them in two seconds when He chooses.

Loyalty to Jesus Christ is the thing that we "stick at" to-day. We will be loyal to work, to service, to anything, but do not ask us to be loyal to Jesus Christ. Many Christians are intensely impatient of talking about loyalty to Jesus. Our Lord is dethroned more emphatically by Christian workers than by the world. God is made a machine for blessing men, and Jesus Christ is made a Worker among workers.

The idea is not that we do work for God, but that we are so loyal to Him that He can do His work through us – "I reckon on you for extreme service, with no complaining on your part and no explanation on Mine." God wants to use us as He used His own Son.
ClosetOtaku

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Rusty I would say that you might want to make absolutely sure it's not going to drag into a cosmology debate. At all. If it's hinging any argument on age of the earth, civilization etc. it's probably going to be breaking the rules.

Of course. The only ones I would post would be cut and dried passage=application style. My worry would be someone taking offense at the source, albeit I don't believe that is much of a risk.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Sheenar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 pm

I have also been reading My Utmost for His Highest off and on for the past couple of years. Such great, often convicting words of wisdom. I started posting devotionals from it a good while ago (sometime last year, I believe), but stopped when I got distracted by other things and forgot to continue posting.
Sheenar

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Just a quick note here to encourage you guys to keep up on this. We don't have any paid staff, so everyone here is a volunteer. We're all just people on the board who pitch in to make it what it is. Interest in this area of the board really cheers me up! :D
Mithrandir

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

Wait, we aren't getting paid for this? >_</)

Using MUHH seems like a pretty good source to get things rolling with. So maybe we should just start going with it? We can still discuss embelishments and new material but still have some action being taken.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:32 am

Sounds great to me!
Mithrandir

Postby Sheenar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Sounds great to me as well! :)
Sheenar

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 am

Well, if we do decide to take up My Utmost for His Highest -- say, try it out for a few months, no more than a year -- I'd be willing to at least post the daily devotional on the site. I don't think there would be a problem with copyright under fair use (although it does not look like it is yet in the public domain).

If I ended up being the primary poster, I would default to the "Classic Edition" -- Chambers' original excerpts from his sermons which were transcribed by his wife Gertrude from her shorthand notes. I feel the "Updated Edition" makes many unfortunate edits that often changes the content, and sometimes the meaning, of what he said.

So, I'm volunteering, if a mod wants to create the thread.

Edit: I note that the preference might be to simply establish links, which is easier and removes any doubt as to legalities; on the other hand, having the portion of the devotional immediately readable is often better for conversations and whatnot. I defer to the wisdom of the moderators.
ClosetOtaku

Postby Neane » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 pm

ClosetOtaku wrote:Well, if we do decide to take up My Utmost for His Highest -- say, try it out for a few months, no more than a year -- I'd be willing to at least post the daily devotional on the site. I don't think there would be a problem with copyright under fair use (although it does not look like it is yet in the public domain).

If I ended up being the primary poster, I would default to the "Classic Edition" -- Chambers' original excerpts from his sermons which were transcribed by his wife Gertrude from her shorthand notes. I feel the "Updated Edition" makes many unfortunate edits that often changes the content, and sometimes the meaning, of what he said.

So, I'm volunteering, if a mod wants to create the thread.

I really should start reading My Utmost for His Highest. My mother has read that book since she first became a Christian back in the 70's.
Neane

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 am

Does this sound like maybe a new years thing? I don't think anyone would be upset with you moving forward on this project.
Mithrandir

Postby John_Smith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 am

So, after talking with some of the people who have previously posted on this thread, I decided to try taking this up. I may have jumped the gun; I simply wanted to 'get the ball rolling.'

If anyone wants to help out at all, I would be very grateful!

Also, my personal goal with the devotional was/is to write things is such a way that encourages discussion. Not about theology, but just general, 'with my walk currently, my take on this is _____.' I have no idea if this is a good goal to pursue, of even if it's obtainable.
John_Smith

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh, yay! Stuff!
So, I've not been active in this at all, but now that it looks like it's coming back to life, I'm very interested (I know, I have so much initiative).
Not sure what I can do at all to help, but I'll be more than glad to participate if this gets rolling.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Zeke365 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:17 pm

I was wondering something sometimes God puts things on my heart for encouragement for others where would would I put them what thread would best suit them?
Zeke365

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:56 am

http://www.christiananime.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49593
Well there is this ^
Unless that's not what you mean '3'
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby John_Smith » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:45 pm

So, I think this is obvious already, but I’ll state it for the record: I’m in no state, time wise or any other wise, to write these daily devotionals. I bit off more than I could chew.
Also, the way how I dropped off the map, without any warning, while writing the devotionals was irresponsible of me. I apologize to the forum for this.

I am still interested in helping others stoke up the devotional part of the forum. Once a day? Too much. But once a week? Maybe.
John_Smith

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:13 am

Hey, John_Smith! Welcome back! I really missed your devotionals. All is forgiven, and it's good to see you back. I understand that that is quite a lot to take on. I would love to see you keep this up, though, even once every two weeks if once a week turns out to be too much. Your devotionals were truly a blessing to me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to CAA Servant Alliance