Is it pleasing to God to force yourself to go to church

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Is it pleasing to God to force yourself to go to church

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:13 am

Although a Christian, I find myself feeling a disconnect between my personal life and sermons on numerous occasions. Some days, I just don't feel like going at all but force myself to stay upbeat and go for my family's sake. Even if one's motives aren't exactly pious (or, to clarify what I mean, out of a fervent desire to please God), is going still edifying to one's faith?
Zeldafan2

Re: Is it pleasing to God to force yourself to go to church

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:53 am

Yes.

Foremost, it's an act of service/sacrifice on your part for the sake of your family. God wants His people to put other's needs and sakes before their own. Second, it's still edifying as long as you investigate why that disconnect exists. By default our motives aren't pious, that's the whole problem in the first place. God wants us to do what He says, regardless of how we feel about things, with our motive being the He said to do them. It's about our choice to do something, not how we felt about it.

But all this is from someone who doesn't go to church except for family, either. (Oddly, to me it's the music that doesn't sync, not the sermons. There are some other issues as well.) So, take it as you will.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 am

Rusty Claymore wrote:Yes.

Foremost, it's an act of service/sacrifice on your part for the sake of your family. God wants His people to put other's needs and sakes before their own. Second, it's still edifying as long as you investigate why that disconnect exists. By default our motives aren't pious, that's the whole problem in the first place. God wants us to do what He says, regardless of how we feel about things, with our motive being the He said to do them. It's about our choice to do something, not how we felt about it.

But all this is from someone who doesn't go to church except for family, either. (Oddly, to me it's the music that doesn't sync, not the sermons. There are some other issues as well.) So, take it as you will.

That's true. Part of following God is choosing to obey him, even when he's hard. It's probably just laziness on my part. Thanks for the quick response. :)
Zeldafan2

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Zeldafan2, are you catholic or a different denomination?
SierraLea

Return to Christian Growth Q&A