Church

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Church

Postby Zeke365 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:35 am

What is your definition of a church?
Zeke365

Re: Church

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:00 pm

A building where people with similar religious views gather to worship and study the deity they believe in, most commonly those of the Christian religion as other religions tend to use other terms (temple, mosque, synagogue, etc.).

Now to wait for the inevitable talk about how the church is a group of people and not actually a building and all that.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm

I'd like to ask the OP something. Are you asking this because you have an actual question or concern you want answered, or is it to start an in-depth discussion of theology? Because theological discussions have historically caused trouble for CAA, and that's why we have a rule against them.
The Rules wrote:Theology
Discussions of theology have not been allowed due to their propensity for turning into fights. Questions about spiritual issues are fine for the time being, though.

I'm not entirely certain where the line is between theology and spiritual issues, and in fact that line is intentionally ambiguous to give us a little bit of wiggle room. Let's give this thread the benefit of the doubt for now. I'd like everyone to be watchful that it stays on topics that aren't controversial.
Midori

Postby Zeke365 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:26 am

I m not asking on a theological view point only what others options are on church though I was unsure weather to write it here or the site like you say. I will share what I think church is to but I hope this answer your question and if you feel it best on the theological site then I will write it there.
Zeke365

Postby IPv4 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:09 am

A church is a place that Jesus would visit... if he had a whip!!
IPv4

Postby Zeke365 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

My version of a church a is sort like going to a friend house and learning from each other both with your gifts and talents more interactive. Something more interactive.
Zeke365

Postby anlptgtsg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:57 am

Well church is a place for worship. And probably have different meaning in different religion.
anlptgtsg

Postby goldenspines » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 am

Nate wrote:A building where people with similar religious views gather to worship and study the deity they believe in, most commonly those of the Christian religion as other religions tend to use other terms (temple, mosque, synagogue, etc.).

Now to wait for the inevitable talk about how the church is a group of people and not actually a building and all that.

As I know for sure you are waiting for someone to respond, I hate to disappoint people, so I'll humor you a bit. I do get what you're saying. Christians (and some other religions) do called places of worship "churches". Except while a "church" may be a building, in the New Testament, it's commonly treated a subject doing actions that aren't really....well, building-like actions, and more "group of people" type actions (or even a singular person action). Maybe I'm being unfair towards buildings, though. I mean, I guess if you want to assume that a building was praying for Peter while he was in prison (Acts 12:5) or if a building can get fearful (Acts 5:11), then there's that, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
(but if we wanted to start talking uses of language and how the Greek and Hebrew versions interpret the word church in the Bible and whatnot, please feel free to PM me about because that would be really interesting, but not suitable for this thread in particular)

Hence why "church" has become a bit more of an abstract term that can not only mean a building, but also a group of people gathered together to worship. It may depend on the context, really, and what it means to one person or another (hence the question in this topic; we all knew there would be differing opinions).
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 pm

goldenspines wrote:if you want to assume that a building was praying for Peter while he was in prison (Acts 12:5) or if a building can get fearful (Acts 5:11), then there's that, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:46 pm

And honestly it's not like "church" is unique in that. We use the same type of thing for other groups, such as "school." We talk about how the school is instituting a dress code, the school had a fire drill, the school is seeking more funding, or the school is holding a bake sale. Obviously we're not talking about the building doing things, we're talking about the staff and students at the school. But generally when you ask someone what a school is they're going to respond that it's a building.

Nate

Postby Kraavdran » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 am

This is a rather complicated topic. Especially since we now live in a post-modern era without clear definitions or truthes (especially concerning personal beliefs and religious outlooks). Also, we like to use the same word to mean multiple things. In my opinion, that is why the word "love" is so messed up (how can you "love" pizza, "love" your family, "love" your friends, and "love" your spouse... there should be, at least 4 different words). But, that is getting into a very different topic.

For that reason, I believe that everyone will define "church" differently (to a greater or lesser degree). Before I go further, I want to make this clear: I don't want to get too theological, so please correct me if I cross the line between defining/spiritual/etc and theological. It is my goal to provide a possible viewpoint, but this comes from my own personal thoughts. I don't think that anyone should wholly adopt my viewpoint. Quite the opposite, I think that each person should define what "church" means for themselves. It is easier to relate to something that is personal, instead of defined by another. All this said, I hope that my ideas are not controversial. That being said, I've tried to bring this to a philosophical/psychological perspective (instead of biblical) to avoid theological arguments/debate/upsettingness.

I see three definitions of the word "church." Each has a more personal meaning to me.

1) Church as a describing noun - This could be simply defined as "a place for religious or anti-religious practice"

2) There is the traditional view of the proper noun, Church - This can be defined as the whole group of "believers" (whatever that looks like, I'm not certain)

3) The last one is my personal ideal for what a "church" should/can/might be. This is, of course, going to be shaded by my understanding of the world and what is missing in the world. I expect this to vary greatly between people.... even those who attend the same "church" services. So, here it goes: The church, to me, is a place where different people can come together in an environment which fosters community due to a single unifying reason: One common and absolute belief. This will look differently for each person, culture, and region. But the basics, I think, are as follows: True community, spiritual growth (and/or pursuing truth), mutual support, and a certain knowledge-based teaching.

I'll leave it at that. Although, Zeke, I am curious why you posted this question?
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby Anirac » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:00 am

I see church as the building, the headquarters for the Christians of a certain community. Christians can gather and worship anywhere, but the church is the standard location.
Anirac

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm

A personal definition of church for me is church is inside of us all who have accepted Christ, we are his temple, he is in us. Going To church for me means fellowship with others, loving God and being one in union with Christ.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Anirac » Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Makachop^^128 wrote:A personal definition of church for me is church is inside of us all who have accepted Christ, we are his temple, he is in us. Going To church for me means fellowship with others, loving God and being one in union with Christ.

Scratch my opinion, I like yours better.
Anirac

Return to Christian Growth Q&A