Rapture

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Rapture

Postby Zeke365 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:17 am

Before I say anything I I don't want a debate on Pre mid or Post tribuation, it the idea behind it. I not saying I don't believe in or not but I question it. So what are your thoughts about the rapture?
I have yet to find Biblical reference of what we believe the rapture is and I like more scriptural evidence in the Old Testament that backs this idea of the rapture up, I have read most of the old testament (in Daniel) and All New Testament yet cant find a thing about it. So please answer below
Zeke365

Re: Rapture

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:10 am

The idea of the rapture (as most people know it, at least, in the sense of believers "vanishing" one day) seems to be referenced in Matthew 24, when Jesus is talking about signs of the end, etc. Verses 40-41 are particular of note because

40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. -Matthew 24:40-41

That's the only more obvious reference I've seen to it in the Bible.
A more romanticized version of the rapture could be akin to Elijah, where we all get taken up to heaven in fiery chariots.

My own personal thoughts on the rapture are much more simple; it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't really buy into the idea of the Rapture but I don't think it's necessarily unbiblical. I do think that people place far too much emphasis on it though, and feel the need to oppose it on principal simply because I'm tired of "cutesy" little bumper stickers like "In case of Rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Goldy pretty much has the one verse referencing anything like it. It's a pretty new idea, only about 200 years old, and mostly extra biblical in nature.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Xeno » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:22 pm

I think 1 Thessalonians 4 has one of the more obvious references to a rapture-like occurrence:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 wrote:13 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, concerning those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. 14 Since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, in the same way God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep through Jesus. 15 For we say this to you by a revelation from the Lord: We who are still alive at the Lord’s coming will certainly have no advantage over those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the archangel’s voice, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are still alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Rapture can be considered to mean being "caught up" or "carried away" in addition to its official definition of a feeling of "intense pleasure or joy."

Oxford Dictionary wrote:Origin

late 16th century (in the sense 'seizing and carrying off'): from obsolete French, or from medieval Latin raptura 'seizing', partly influenced by rapt.

That said, the passage could mean a number of things, and as Mech pointed out, the concept itself isn't very old at all.
Xeno

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:14 am

I think the rapture is a load of hogwash.

http://theamericanjesus.net/2014/10/06/ ... mentalism/
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Anirac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:44 am

I think that it happening or not, I don't really care. Eventually, the good will rise and the bad will fall, it doesn't matter when or in which fashion.
Anirac

Return to Christian Growth Q&A