video game problem

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

video game problem

Postby Zeke365 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm

I have been thinking about this for some time now and sometimes I feel like God is leading in this direction but I still like to ask. Have any of you given up video games permanently like stored it in a box? (when I say video games I mean Nintendo, Xbox, and PS systems PC I count as separate.) The only reason I cant give up PC games is for 2 reasons one I do an event in an online game and two I funded a kick starter games as well. I enjoy the online game seems more to. Plus I think I'm growing out of videos games as well and can't recreate what I want to happen that why I'm asking.Did you feel like you could accomplish more and do more and feel closer to God after you had given it up?

The reason I ask is because lately I buy a video game play it for 3 mintines then get frustrated with it and move on to the next one. The other reason is it not that the game is fun but I it still lacks something like everything there but there sometime missing. Plus I don't have anyone to play with me anywhase but what are your thoughts on the matter?

I will write my testimony tomorrow which might explain some more what I m feeling.
Zeke365

Re: video game problem

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 am

Some people grow out of video games, this is normal, just as some people grow out of playing with toys, and watching cartoons. Now of course sometimes no longer finding pleasure in things you used to enjoy is a sign of depression or other mental issues, but from what you've said that doesn't sound like it's the case here. You might have just gotten older, your tastes changed, and they just aren't for you anymore. No harm in that. Time to find another hobby I'd say.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 pm

What Nate said, but if it still bugs you so much, you could try playing some really old video games, mainly from your childhood. Then, maybe, you can still hold onto your dream of designing video games. Also, have you considered just writing stories for games? That'll probably be a lot more fun for you.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Another big thing that really helps I find
When people play games, they seem to just buy whatever game seems popular, or a cheap game hoping it's a great gem, but really, only buy games you know you like and want to play more than once, or for a really long time.

But growing out of them isn't a bad thing either, there's so many things you can also do, filling that hole shouldn't be difficult.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby John_Smith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:59 am

Video games= not inherently bad. Only if they become an idol, or become more important than God, or something else which should be higher on your priority list.

There have been a few instances when I felt like video games were taking too much time of my life. When this most recently happened, I stumbled into a conversation where a friend of mine was talking about how he had the same problem, and his solution to it was to read the Bible for the same amount of time that he played video games. The goal, he stated, was to turn the desire to play the game into a desire read the word of God instead.

I tried it, and it put into perspective how little time I spent reading the Bible compared to other activities. Now, this little test had the result of pretty much killing my desire to play video games for a good two months or so… even now, even I do play a game, I spend a significant less amount of time then I did before.

This isn’t to say that following this gave me the ‘feeling like I could accomplish more and do more.’ That’s a simple matter of time management and balance. Where is the time spent not playing video games going to go? For me, as much as I’d like to say that it went to my book writing time, or doing homework… it hasn’t. I’m kind of clueless as to where it goes.

And as for ‘feeling closer to God:’ Not really… maybe? My walk with the Lord has continued, certainly, but I cannot say this video game instance had a great part to do with that.
John_Smith

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:39 pm

John_Smith wrote:and his solution to it was to read the Bible for the same amount of time that he played video games. The goal, he stated, was to turn the desire to play the game into a desire read the word of God instead.

That sounds like a fantastic idea, though... When you play for 4+ hours at a time... It really shows how much easier it is to play a game than read God's word...

That would be a crazy test.

In relation to that, I heard this thing (from my church) called the three mindsets of bible reading. One of them being not reading. The next one being reading reluctantly, and only because quite simply... you should do it, and the third stage being that you actually want to grow deeper in scripture and are desiring the teachings of the Bible. It's important to do the reading, even if you don't want to, because it does spawn reading because you WANT to.

So reading for the same amount of time as gaming would be a real eye opener, and really help that "second stage" process.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby John_Smith » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 am

Furen wrote:In relation to that, I heard this thing (from my church) called the three mindsets of bible reading. One of them being not reading. The next one being reading reluctantly, and only because quite simply... you should do it, and the third stage being that you actually want to grow deeper in scripture and are desiring the teachings of the Bible. It's important to do the reading, even if you don't want to, because it does spawn reading because you WANT to.

So reading for the same amount of time as gaming would be a real eye opener, and really help that "second stage" process.

This is interesting. I'd say that I myself hover back and forth through the second and third stages. I definitely have experienced the 'do the reading that you don't want to, because it leads to reading that do want to.' Still, there are times when I absolutely don't want to pick up the Bible... but then I do and I get really into it.

I want to point out though that I don’t think I did the test had the result for me that it was supposed to. After a week or so, I stopped playing video games AND had slipped into stage one for Bible reading. If done properly, (it takes will power) I’d say it can really lead to a better appreciation of how much time one spends in the Bible, though.
John_Smith

Postby Furen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 pm

John_Smith wrote:I want to point out though that I don’t think I did the test had the result for me that it was supposed to. After a week or so, I stopped playing video games AND had slipped into stage one for Bible reading. If done properly, (it takes will power) I’d say it can really lead to a better appreciation of how much time one spends in the Bible, though.

I'm not surprised, that's why I said what I said about reading for 4 hours being a crazy test, I would lose my mind, but something like 10 minutes for every hour would still really open your eyes to how much effort we put in games over reading.
Furen

Postby Zeke365 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for the advice I have actually been Reading The Voice Bible a lot more and my desire to play has sort of ceased. By the end of the Year anything do with Nintendo, PlayStation or Xbox consoles will no longer be apart of my life. It a big step in the right direction, plus I read an interesting article saying video games no longer include immersion so that you get lost in them anymore therefore their not as fun, and focus more on realizem. So Starting January 1, 2015 will be a new life without these games. I'm sure all of you will reach that point. Think of this way, Nintendo Power said perfectly "You have completed the game and your kind of sad but happy you took the Journey." For few years I felt I completed the game and was in credits waiting for the game over to come and now it has. When I say completed game I mean video games and the console war. So thanks all for your advice.
Zeke365

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:23 am

Congrats or something I guess. If you're planning on ditching video games why are you waiting such a long time? Just go sell your consoles and games to a Gamestop or something. That's what I did a few months back after realizing that I never really played my PS3, Wii, or 3DS, but kept spending money on games. I do still play games on PC through Steam, but it's a lot easier to manage that way.

You also seem to be romanticizing the concept of getting rid of your consoles. If it's something you feel would help you better your life then I'm all for you ditching them. If, on the other hand, it's something you're doing just to be different and "ahead" of your friends who play games, then you're doing it wrong.

Side note: enhanced realism in games leads to better immersion. It's hard to get immersed in a game that doesn't look, at least somewhat, real.
Xeno

Postby Zeke365 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:06 am

well the main problem is there a promise I made to gamestop employee when got the wii so I cant get rid of it and the second reason is That I would love to have this collections to show to my children someday. The only reason I choosing January 1. 2015 is because it easier to do my new year resolutions and I tried doing them in the middle of year before bad idea. You misinterpret what I saying it I getting rid of buying any new video games and I will not play them anymore, but it nice to at least have the collection of your memories with it.
Zeke365

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:29 am

Okay, I have to ask, what in the world was this promise you made? I'm curious.
DaughterOfZion

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:Okay, I have to ask, what in the world was this promise you made? I'm curious.

I too am also curious.

If you're planning on totally abandoning games, then it may be a bad idea to keep these games laying around, I've never myself said I'm totally cutting myself off from games, but I'll play a game I didn't think I'd touch again simply because it's where my games are. It's like setting a trap for yourself.
Furen

Postby Xeno » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:59 am

I can guarantee you that your kids will most likely not care about your old video game systems. You can also have fond memories of something without needing that something to be present.

Edit: autocorrect is a jerk.
Xeno

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Zeke365 wrote: and the second reason is That I would love to have this collections to show to my children someday.

That's fine and dandy enough - I remember when my parents would dig out their old NES and let us play for a couple weeks in the winter, and unlike Xeno, I thought that was pretty cool - but do you have any kids right now? I'm assuming that like most CAAers, you're not married, though feel free to correct me on that. If you step out today and meet a nice woman without any kids (again, assuming you haven't found one yet), you're still around ten years out from when these hypothetical children are going to be old enough to appreciate the old video games Dad's been holding onto for that long. If that's the case, this whole thing becomes less like a nice gesture for your kids, and more like an episode of Hoarders in the making.
Davidizer13

Postby Zeke365 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:28 am

thanks for your help and yes I would like to keep my games for my own kids someday(plus I not married). This was both a promise I made to God and gamestop lady.
The promise to God was I wanted to build a collection of wii games so I keep them as a collector's item. This one of the reason I can not get rid of the wii.
The second reason is this gamestop lady gave me a wii when it first launch back 2006. (boy do I sound old) The problem at the time is a lot of her customers would buy a wii and resale online, so she gave it my mom I think as a birthday gift (yes I prayed extremely hard to get one) because this person knew I would not sell it like the other customers would, and I keep and play it. Then later that year she gave (yes this will sound crazy) me free wii accessories, for wii remote to classic controller to wii points card I think and others. So that is the other reason I can not really get rid of video games.
When I bought the Wii U (it a HD console NOT AN ACCESSORY FOR A WII) I wanted to use Miivese as a ministry opportunity, maybe what I trying to say is maybe I just need a break from them. Plus I app on my 3ds that creates your own comics. I guess I could use that though the temptation will be their.
When I said I was going to get rid of games it does not mean I would just leave them lying around it just meant I would pack them up in boxes so they would not be seen or tempted to play. I hope this this answers your questions.

I may not play games but I could still use as a ministry opportunity which was first goal in the first place and maybe I just lost track of that goal because I know several people love playing videos games.
Zeke365

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 am

Zeke365 wrote:The promise to God was I wanted to build a collection of wii games so I keep them as a collector's item. This one of the reason I can not get rid of the wii.

Video games aren't particularly good investments - only in very rare cases does a game maintain any percentage of its original sales price, and most of those don't even keep up with inflation. Sure, you have your occasional Radiant Silvergun or your Metroid Prime Collection, but the vast majority of games have so many factors working against their value (large print runs, getting sold en masse when the new system comes out, old games getting re-released digitally, etc.) that it doesn't make sense to invest like that. The value you're going to get out of those games is in playing them, not reselling them. All it takes to prove it is to look your games up on eBay.

When I said I was going to get rid of games it does not mean I would just leave them lying around it just meant I would pack them up in boxes so they would not be seen or tempted to play. I hope this this answers your questions.

My point still stands - you're still holding onto these games on the possibility that, in ten or so years, the kids you will hypothetically have will enjoy them the way you did. And until then, they're just collecting dust in a closet or just another box to carry around when you move. If you really want these games out of your life, you've picked very poor reasons to keep them around - either get rid of them or don't. And if you're really not set on going all the way and removing them, then admit that and take the break from them you think you need.
Davidizer13

Postby SilverToast » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Zeke365 wrote: When I bought the Wii U (it a HD console NOT AN ACCESSORY FOR A WII) I wanted to use Miivese as a ministry opportunity, maybe what I trying to say is maybe I just need a break from them.

It does not seem appropriate to minister in an online video game community that has specific sub-communities to focus on each game on the Wii U. Be careful how you go about it.

Don't do something like minister in the Life With Horses 3D community. LOL

Thanks for telling us about the promise though. I was curious too. haha
SilverToast

Return to Christian Growth Q&A