Does God sometimes allow bad things to happen to us because He knows we're strong enough to handle it?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Does God sometimes allow bad things to happen to us because He knows we're strong enough to handle it?

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 pm

I.e. a few years ago I applied for a career center and really wanted to see what the IT field was like didn't make it didn't like that, but I knew He did it for a reason still unknown
Never thirsty!

Re: Does God sometimes allow bad things to happen to us because He knows we're strong enough to handle it?

Postby SierraLea » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:54 pm

God allows people to choose to do the wrong thing, and sometimes that effects other people. Murder is a great example of this. God allows this choice because you can't do good if you don't have the capacity to do evil.
SierraLea

Re: Does God sometimes allow bad things to happen to us because He knows we're strong enough to handle it?

Postby Reon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:01 am

Personal opinion, yes. He wants to purify us. To do that, we need to overcome obstacles and challenges. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the IT example, only because of your wording here "... was like didn't make it didn't like that,". Do you mean you weren't able to get into the IT field? If so, I have had many doors shut on me. I know God guides our steps (Proverbs 16:9) and we should stay focused on Him in the process, delighting in the fact He is developing us and leading us. It's not always easy. Truly seek after Him with all your heart, trust His judgement and keep putting in the hard work.

I hope you're immensely blessed. I hope you delight in challenges that come you're way because you know you'll overcome them with God's help. Stay strong friend!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
(Proverbs 3:5-6) (Romans 8:28) (James 1:2-4)
Reon

Postby Sheenar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 am

I don't believe that it is because God feels we are strong enough, but sometimes things happen so that we will look to God for strength, purpose, and guidance --and not to ourselves.

This article does a great job of explaining why "God only gives us what we can handle" is not accurate:
http://lemmonythings.com/2014/01/05/god-will-give-you-more-than-you-can-handle-i-guarantee-it/
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Reon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 am

I second what Sheenar says. Hope you feel encouraged and would love an update!
Reon

Postby radical edward » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:30 am

Saw this on Radio Free Babylon
A woman asked Jesus "So you know what I'm going to do before I do it?
Jesus told her yes.
The woman said "But I thought I was supposed to have free will."
Jesus said "Just because I know what you're going to do doesn't mean I make you do it."
Think about that.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Return to Christian Growth Q&A