Who is your favourite Saint?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Who is your favourite Saint?

Postby Troy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:52 am

I'm just wondering do any of you have a favourite Saint whose story inspires you too keep on living for Christ no matter the fear of persecution. I always felt the Sainthood to be a great source of role models for Christians to turn towards. St .Lucy and St. Edmund Campion are two of my favourite. How about you?
Troy

Re: Who is your favourite Saint?

Postby Cloves » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Mmm. I like the Saints who died for Christ and those who were persecuted and held on to their faith. In the future, I will also be strong when I'm
persecuted because I know God will be there with me.

and Saul/Paul for spreading the gospel. <3
Cloves

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Ditto with Cloves. Paul was absolutely awesome in every way.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:29 am

Therese of Lisieux and the Virgin Mary.
rocklobster

Postby Xeno » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am

Given my general heritage, I've always had a liking for Saint Patrick (or Pádraig as they call him back in the old country with the native tongue).
Xeno

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Catherine of Alexandria of course, the patron saint of nurses and librarians.

Awwwww yeah.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Its a tie between Johnny Ghat or St. Vitus.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Kaori » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm

St. Vitus

People don't know he exists. Their company is never missed.

I don't have a favorite, really (or a patron Saint), just a list of Saints I'm mildly interested in.

St. Xavier: "Very often he had no time to sleep or even to say his breviary but, as we know from his letters, he was filled always with joy" (CACINA).

St. Nicholas of Japan: Missionary to Japan--and not just for a short time, but he made it his life work.

St. Athanasius the Great: Champion of orthodox Christology.

St. Nicholas of Myra ("Santa Claus"): a real fourth century bishop who helped the poor, was kind to children, and slapped Arius in the face.

St. Herman of Alaska: Missionary who brought Orthodoxy to the Aleut people of Alaska. From what I've heard, he seems to have been a thoroughly kind, humble, grandfatherly person.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 am

Saint Paul comes very high on my list. Held himself to a higher standard than he set.

More recently Maximilian Kolbe, the initiative, courage and sheer grace of the man is inspirational.

I will leave my list short for the time being.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Jonathan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Two Saints I like so far are Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Francis Xavier.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby invaderv93 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Big fan of Joan of Arc myself. I know it's a little cliche but she's awesome.
invaderv93

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 am

Francis of Assisi, really. He's quite the mystic.
Last edited by Mr. SmartyPants on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SierraLea » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I have two.
St. Thomas Aquinas because I've halfway proved he has the same mental condition I do, and so feel a deeper connection with him. I also picked him for my Confirmation saint. He's also patron of scholars, which I am at this point, wicked awesome with logic, resisted some tough temptations, and schooled all of Rome. Pretty darn awesome.
St. Joan of Arc is also a favorite because, unlike most women saints who achieved sainthood by being wonderful women who cared for the sick, helped the homeless, and generally did more gentle holy works, this woman made spiritual warfare something very real and did a fantastic job of it. I'm not good at the gentler aspects, but love fighting for my faith, so I guess I empathize with her too.
SierraLea

Return to Christian Growth Q&A