Can musical talent come in the form of a spiritual gift?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Can musical talent come in the form of a spiritual gift?

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

I have been told by many people when I sing I sound like Ryan Clark with a little less range I've also been told if my classmates and church friends didn't know me they'd think I was the guitarist for August Burns Red and who doesn't like their instrumental music? This talent wasn't natural I had to develop this but I've only been playing guitar for six months but I've been singing for about three years.
Never thirsty!

Re: Can musical talent come in the form of a spiritual gift?

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Talents and spiritual gifts are not necessarily one and the same. Read Romans 12, Ephesians 3, and 1 Corinthians 12 to get a clearer idea of what spiritual gifts are. Now, can you channel your talents into a spiritual gift you may have? Yes, I believe so. For example, I love cooking and one of the spiritual gifts I have is in teaching. One thing I would like to do is teach the younger ladies in church how to cook, and maybe throw in some Bible lesson or application in the mix.
K. Ayato

Postby SierraLea » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Well, there are talents and then there are Charisms.
Talents are gifts that God gives you to enjoy. You love painting, or you're a really good soccer player.
Charisms are gifts you're given at your Baptism that God gives you to further Him kingdom. My mom, for example, has a writing one where letters and emails she writes have miraculous timing, or say just the right thing, and she knows it's not her, but God speaking through her. She's an authority on the subject.
And yes, Charisms can be musical. Mom thinks I have a singing one because there have been instances when I've sang a spiritual song for someone, like Amazing Grace, and they've heard angels. When I cantor, that is, sing the psalm at mass, people think I sound angelic, as in, they can picture the choir of angels in the church. I am not making this stuff up.
So no, talent is not a spiritual gift, it's something God gives you to enrich your life. What you're talking about are Charisms, and they come in all shapes and sizes, including musical.
SierraLea

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Could it possibly come in the form of ministry because I feel like God is telling me to use my musical gift to lead people to HIm as well as the fact that whenever I have a pen and paper most of the time when I am at school is when I have those handy I God inspires me with twelve tracks of worth of lyrics throughout my seven classes and advisory(I don't understand advisory is basically homeroom so why don't they just call it that?) I have at least five albums worth of stuff or 20 EP's or 4 albums with two bonus tracks not including remixes
Never thirsty!

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:Could it possibly come in the form of ministry because I feel like God is telling me to use my musical gift to lead people to HIm as well as the fact that whenever I have a pen and paper most of the time when I am at school is when I have those handy I God inspires me with twelve tracks of worth of lyrics throughout my seven classes and advisory(I don't understand advisory is basically homeroom so why don't they just call it that?) I have at least five albums worth of stuff or 20 EP's or 4 albums with two bonus tracks not including remixes

Yes, music is definitely something God can use for you to help people. Good music is known to be calming and healing. For example, I and a group of others often sing at the hospital. Some do not sing, so they play instruments. We've encountered many people who broke down in tears when we sang for them, saying how touched they were. So yes, I have seen first hand how music can be used as God's tool. Especially for making people feel better when they're not at their best.
AnimeGirl

Return to Christian Growth Q&A