Is my experience a sign of the Holy Spirit's presence?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Is my experience a sign of the Holy Spirit's presence?

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:02 pm

My youh pastor was talking about how God's love is unconditional and how it contrasts to earthly love and he was talking about how some of us have fathers who were absentees for our whole upbringing (my father) till this summer when my mom couldn't take me anymore and sent me to him and how some of us are broken because of the way they failed to love us(me) and I was freezing until he said that then I felt a really intense heat and my palms were sweating intensely and the more he spoke the more I felt myself starting to break down and weep uncontrollably. It's as if what he said was specifically for me.
Never thirsty!

Re: Is my experience a sign of the Holy Spirit's presence?

Postby Crossfire » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 pm

So... did you contact someone for help and move to a temporary house yet? Kind of sounds like nothing has changed between now and your last few threads.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 am

Okay, my question is why you care if its a sign of the Holy Spirit or not. Would you contact people and get out of your house and away from the abuse if someone said it was?

Then yes, it was a sign of the Holy Spirit.

If not, then no, it wasn't. Pastors are supposed to know what is up in the lives of people of their congregation, and you said that SEVERAL of the kids in your group are in that situation... And it is absolutely not uncommon for kids to feel like their parents don't love them/undergo some emotional trauma/have issues coping when they are traded from parent to parent. Your situation has been particularly traumatic since you went into a home where you are being abused, and when someone touches on situations like that with victims of trauma or abuse, then it is not only common but fairly normal to have a strong physiological reaction. It's not unlike PTSD or the like, which have 'triggers' that bring up memories and emotions. You are in the middle of a traumatic situation, you felt like someone was speaking to you about it, of course you are going to break down in tears!

What you should have done afterward was talk to your Youth Pastor about it, because pastors are also generally supposed to be trained to help people out in your sort of situation. While he probably knew that you weren't entirely happy at your fathers, I would bet money that he has no clue how bad it really is.
Atria35

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I am safe now I was able to use my friend's cell to make the call so my dad wouldn't see it on the phone bill but before I left I made sure I had my phone so I could continue here using 4g I am living in a shelter my mom got me Disciple's new album signed by Kevin but I don't know when I will get it I am quite excited for it though.
Never thirsty!

Postby Vilo159 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 am

Never thirsty! wrote:I am safe now I was able to use my friend's cell to make the call so my dad wouldn't see it on the phone bill but before I left I made sure I had my phone so I could continue here using 4g I am living in a shelter my mom got me Disciple's new album signed by Kevin but I don't know when I will get it I am quite excited for it though.

Well, that was off topic.

I'd say it was. Pastors like that may have an idea of what goes on in kids' lives, but not usually any details. I've gotten that feeling before of something being said specifically for me, and I'd say that it was definitely the Holy Ghost. Although Atria does have a point, that you are more sensitive to things such as that, but I don't see why that can't be the Spirit anyways. Who knows, maybe your pastor felt prompted to say that even if he wasn't planning to originally- that one happens a lot as well. Again, the best thing would be to talk to him. It was obviously a positive experience either way, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the Holy Ghost. But in the end, you have to make that decision for yourself of what you think it was.
Vilo159

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 am

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Vilo159 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Oh. That's a bit more serious, then. In that case, I still stick to my answer, but I agree that that's hardly the most important matter at hand. I'm glad to hear that you are safe. But it still is a legitimate question, as long as its not swaying your decisions to continue to get help as Atria said. I still say it could've been the Spirit, but I take back the rest about the pastor. Still talk to him, though, as he will probably be more help in answering your question than I or anyone here would. I hope your situation continues to get better.
Vilo159

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:59 am

Dear,

It is hard to say for certain since it all comes down to what you felt with your connection, but based on your post, I personally believe that your thoughts and feelings indeed have some foundation to them; that is to say, I do believe you had been connected with the Spirit. God does not work in a black or white fashion when he communicates-He will talk to us in various ways.

As for your troubling home situation, I can only assure that He is watching over you. It is always darkest and most perilous in the storm before it breaks, and light calms the tormented seas of your soul. Things will come to a resolution, just be patient and have faith. I understand very well your situation, so if you need to, please feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to.

God speed, dear.
Phantom_Sorano

Return to Christian Growth Q&A