Could it be possible that I have a prophetic gift?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Could it be possible that I have a prophetic gift?

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:26 pm

sometimes I will have a dream here and there good or bad(not bad like a nightmare but bad like I fear it might happen and sometimes my dreams do become reality like six years ago I had a dream about history homework and near the end of the semester we got it, or I had a dream that someone blasphemed God and I beat the snot out of them a few years later it happened I was expelled(looking back on it I went a little too far but It was worth it. I didn't like that school anyway.) just a few examples that I remember I will probably remember more because it's happened at least thirty times in the past year and sometimes I don't remember them and then they happen and I think "Were have I seen this before?"
Never thirsty!

Re: Could it be possible that I have a prophetic gift?

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 pm

There was literally another thread about this just the other day. Also it was worth physically assaulting someone because they spoke irreverently of the god you believe in, but they may not necessecarily have believed in? Good job.

Also, thinking you're going to get homework about a topic and then it happening isn't prophesy, it's a coincidence.
Xeno

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm

then how about the dream where my sis leaves on an eleven month mission trip and I don't get to tell her goodbye and am full of self-hatred because of my blindness to when she was trying to spend time with me but I turned her down which I still am or how about my dream where I'm asleep in the dream and my sister comes into my room and nudges me awake I look over and I see her and she says "Hello beloved brother how are you I have missed you these eleven months." the I spring wide awake and hug her with all of my strength then she actually hugs me back instead of pushing me away I hope that dream does happen.
Never thirsty!

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, what?

Again, the first is coincidence, the latter is a "dream" about something that hasn't even happened yet. You are not a prophet.
Xeno

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Xeno, prophetic dreams obviously haven't happened that's what makes them ptophetic and to actually feel the self-hatred that was happening in my subconscious in my body and feel the pain of the first few incisions I ever made all over again in the exact same places I felt them when I made them and the kunai I used was exactly the same as the one I used the only one I posses his happened three years earlier than it happened and every time I relive a dream I think "whoa, that was my dream!"
Never thirsty!

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Even a monkey banging on a keyboard will probably come up with a word eventually.

But seriously.
1. Your so called "prophesies" are, in the big scheme of things, incredibly insignificant and mostly only effect you. These are really trivial. I find it hard to believe that, even if prophecy did exist, that god would bother telling you that you'll get homework eventually. (A school giving homework? What a miracle.)
2. Dreams are stupidly bizarre and unreliable. Half the time I barely remember what my dreams were about right when I wake up or if I do remember, I only remember bits and pieces. Whose to say whether or not in your school dream that your teacher rode in on a pink, farting unicorn and your desks were made of monkeys and that you just forgot that part?

I'm not going to even get into how good people are at forgetting all the times they failed.
DaughterOfZion

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Ok I am forced to go back into the vault ok Uganda dream date two months ago occurrence one month ago a woman on my sis's squad is talking to her mom via Skype walks outside and says "Something doesn't feel right." someone I can't make out who comes up to her and tries to steal her laptop they struggle finally the mystery man gains control of the laptop and gets away with it." a month later my sister calls us about the above described happening I don't think it's coincidental that I have over thirty dreams of stuff happening later and make the dream come alive. I mean unless I'm psychic and can see the future which I am NOT psychic so what other logical explanation is there? multiple occurrences in the past year almost 1 a week
Never thirsty!

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:54 pm

As much as I'd be sadden by the fact that a gift of prophecy is nothing more than something that applies to only one's personal life and not to the world as a whole (nor even to other Christians beyond you and your immediate family), I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ever since I took about 27 million of those spiritual gift quizzes back in junior high and high school, I never put much stock into trying to determine my "spiritual gift" as much as just determining what I can do for God as I am and letting Him work through me as He will. (plus, I was too melancholy about getting the highest score in discernment of all things. Great, now I can tell people when they are being fooled by bad guys not of God, how exciting, everyone will loooove me. :\ Why couldn't I get the gift of teaching or helps like everyone else? /my teen self)

Someone more learned in this type of stuff could give you a more straightforward answer probably, but I'm fairly certain you won't get very far trying to convince people you're some sort of prophet. I mean, if you are, God will let us know, and if not, you need to re-evaluate your focus in life back on God and not on dreams or prophesying.
Basically, instead of asking us if having dreams that happen to come true = prophesying, ask God about it.

EDIT: Oh, to be a bit more helpful, here's a reference that talks a bit about spiritual gifts and whatnot in Romans 12 (specifically verse 6) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
goldenspines

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Genuine God-given prophecy is not concerned with predictions of the future. Flip through an Old Testament with a contextually and historically critical eye. The prophets spoke to the people of their time and were concerned with reconciling the people of God. Recall that Jesus was also a prophet. Was Jesus concerned with predictions of future events? Some quacks might take some things out of context and say so. But no, Jesus' ministry was prophetic in another sense.

Ultimately what I'm trying to get at is that prophecy isn't about ultimately trivial events in the near or far future; it's about instructing the people on God's ways in their time, place, and situation. There is no longer a need for prophets given Christ's sacrifice per se. So, with all due respect, I really doubt you have the gift of prophecy, and if you do and you have some important private Revelation to give the people, then God will make it extremely obvious to you, because that sort of prophecy is very special. It's not going to be about the kind of homework you have or what someone will have for breakfast.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Coincidence |kōˈinsədəns, -ˌdens| noun
1 a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection:
2 correspondence in nature or in time of occurrence:
3 Physics the presence of ionizing particles or other objects in two or more detectors simultaneously, or of two or more signals simultaneously in a circuit.

Clairvoyance |kle(ə)rˈvoiəns| noun
the supposed faculty of perceiving things or events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact

Either you are clairvoyant (psst, you're not) or you these are coincidences (psst, they are). You asked a question as to whether you could have a prophetic gift clearly under the impression that you already do, and have continued to make a case for that argument. We don't think that you do, but you do, so why did you even ask? Were you trying to impress us or something?
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:Ok I am forced to go back into the vault

multiple occurrences in the past year almost 1 a week

It's contradictions like this that make your stories oh-so believable.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 am

One time I dreamed I was eating Taco Bell and then I woke up and went to Taco Bell I'm totally a prophet man.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 am

Never thirsty, while I probably wouldn't have put some of these replies quite so bluntly, I think you need to reexamine the gift of prophecy as it is Biblically depicted, consider that there are perfectly plausible real-world explanations for what's happening around you, and understand that spiritual gifts like this in the people who truly possess them exist without doubt -- they must, in order for their rarity and spectacular nature to transcend a sceptical world. This forum is probably not the place to ask for help with those concepts.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Christian Growth Q&A