How has your faith changed since you first joined?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

How has your faith changed since you first joined?

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:11 am

For me, I can look back and remember how I still doubted a lot of things. In most general posts it probably didn't show, but it was still there in my mind. If there were any evidence, it most likely was found in the Prayer Request threads. I'd give pat answers or post anything that came to mind, hoping the OP would at least feel better.

A lot of that has changed now. Don't get me wrong. I still have moments of doubt, but they don't last as long as in the past. I know now that it's quite all right in those moments to go to God and just say "I don't get it" and still hold onto the promises that He never fails. The big difference I've now seen is that when I say things to friends to help encourage them, it's not to give a sense of false hope or "Here's something to make you feel better". It's because I know and believe it to be true.

Another thing that has changed a lot is how I go through the Bible. I'm on my 6th time going through cover to cover (not meant to brag by sharing this) and I'm still learning a lot more than what was shared from the pulpit while I was growing up. It's also easier for what I'm learning about God and His Word to slip into my speech than how it was for me before. I would severely hesitate to even begin to cite a verse from the Bible while engaged in conversation.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby armeck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 am

I'm on my third time going through the bible. I joined as a VERY strict Christian. and have since become a universalist
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 am

I threw away dogma and Truth and then my faith became real.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby armeck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1593201) wrote:I threw away dogma and Truth and then my faith became real.

would you mind PMing me and elaborating. I'm very curious
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby SilverToast » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1593201) wrote:I threw away dogma and Truth and then my faith became real.

Yeah. I can relate to that as well. My faith grew so much more when I realized to stop listening to and believing what others say the bible says on issues or other things. I read the bible for myself in a new open clean slate approach and then focus on following Jesus Christ not dogma nor how this shouldn't be like that in life and the like.

I admit I haven't read all of bible and haven't got around to finishing the books I missed but I am glad to be starting over and taking my time to read all of it. :n_n:
SilverToast

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm

I've gotten more Reformed Presbyterian since I've been here. I've also learned that I don't know as much as I thought and (unfortunately) I've gotten more quiet about the doctrines I believe, being fairly alone here in them.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Honestly, I haven't really changed my faith at all. (I haven't really been on very long anyways.) However, I have become somewhat less hostile to some Christian beliefs I have seen that are different from mine.
Zeldafan2

Postby SierraLea » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

My faith has deepened, I've been called to use it in very different ways, and I now know what God wants me to do with my religion and where He wants to take me.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Lynna » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:17 pm

When I first came here, I hadn't been exposed to many different views in Christianity, so being here has really made me see that people won't agree on every little detail, but maybe that's okay. It's the bigger picture that matters the most. I've learned a lot, and I think my faith has really become more mature, and that I've become a more mature and perceptive person. I still have a long ways to go, though. I also feel as though my faith has gotten stronger, and I've become closer to God.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Ingemar » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 pm

I took the Eucharist seriously.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:48 am

I've learned many different ways to view God and spirituality from everyone on this site. They've opened my eyes to so many things I had yet to experience and I'm thankful I tried out this site. It's inspired me to explore my faith more deeply than I had prior to joining and I tried to see why I follow God at all, which is always a good thing.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby sarahjoy78 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

I'm still very young but as I grow older I'm learning more and more things. When I joined I was a strong christian in faith but since then God has givven my family and I many difficult challenges. We have overcome them all through his help. I like to look through CAA and read what others think about their faith too. It helps me to grow more in my own faith which is always a good thing. Woah, I just looked up and realized that I ended my comment the exact same way as Rocky's which is why I added this last sentence. My faith has grown more and more each day, and will continue to do so until the day I go to heaven.
[SIZE="3"]If we gotta start somewhere why not here?
If we gotta start sometime why not now?[/SIZE]
sarahjoy78

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 am

Here's another question for all of you: WHERE has your faith changed?

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby sarahjoy78 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 am

Wow, That's a tough one.... I guess the answer is everywhere. I travel all over the world because my dad is in the military. Each place I go I meet new people and new different kinds of religions and faiths. When something happended that I did not expect I realized that I wasn't as stong in my faith as I thought I was. When that did happend I studdied the bible more and my faith grew as to where I realize that Jesus is my best friend. I used to think of Jesus kind of as a protecter, but never as a friend. After my best friend really hurt me I realized that Jesus was the friend that would always be there for me and that God was my true father. My faith chabged after that. I saw that Jesus is a true friend and not just someone who protects me.... <3
sarahjoy78

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 am

Good answer :). I completely understand what you mean by grasping that Jesus is your best friend. I struggled with that when I was emerging into adulthood. I could talk to friends about certain things, but with God, I kept Him at arm's length, if you will. When I realized that I could come to Him about ANYTHING, and not worry about being turned away (or turning Him off), suffice to say it really changed the way I approached Him during prayer time.

The other thing I've noticed in my life is that I don't just say words of encouragement because "that's what we're supposed to say" and hope that it makes someone feel better. Rather, I say them because I know it's the truth. To sum up in that regard, I've gone through some difficult times myself (recently, even) and a lot of what I've studied about God and His Word has become more real. So in that sense, it's not just what I've heard taught over and over that one can parrot without grasping the deeper meaning.

K. Ayato

Postby sarahjoy78 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14 am

That is so true. I love the fact that I can tell God anything. I can ask him questions and even though I may not like some of the answers I know that he knows best. All my friends have noticed that I say a lot of encouraging words. One of my friends ask me why I do it. I told them eactly what you said," That I don't say something just because I want to make them feel better but I tell them because I really mean it and it's the truth... God is amazing in so many ways...
sarahjoy78

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

My faith became unshakable because of a real experience with God's power two months ago, I had assurance of salvation for the first time since I was thirteen four days ago and I am now far more comfortable witnessing to non-believers.
seaglass27

Postby sarahjoy78 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1593778) wrote:My faith became unshakable because of a real experience with God's power two months ago, I had assurance of salvation for the first time since I was thirteen four days ago and I am now far more comfortable witnessing to non-believers.

See, That is trully amazing! :angel:
sarahjoy78

Postby Vega » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I was fairly serious and conservative and such when I first joined but now i'm way more chill and I just don't worry about much. Some would say I kinda backslid but I think my faith is just more relaxed now :)
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm

When I joined I was somewhat scientific-minded, but still pretty strict on certain interpretations of passages. My beliefs have drifted since, and I am fairly "liberal" now (I guess that would be the best term) in my faith, and much more scientific-minded...and I feel that has brought me closer to God. I see God at work in the way the world works, and in the actions of people, and not as some nebulous force that magically does things.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm

I would say I have learned to listen more, and try to understand others since I have joined. I would say my faith in general has become stronger, feeling like there is some christian community I can go to :)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Iconodule » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm

I think when I first joined this site (on another account) I was a liberal in my theology denying the most basic truths of Christianity, Ressurection, church and etc. Dark times.
Iconodule

Postby tronethiel7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Iconodule (post: 1596482) wrote:I think when I first joined this site (on another account) I was a liberal in my theology denying the most basic truths of Christianity, Ressurection, church and etc. Dark times.

However, it is amazing and wonderful that you were brought from that darkness. Thank God.
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby Xeno » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:36 pm

When I first joined back in 2004 I was a devout Pentecostal. I was thoroughly ingrained in the culture, doctrine, and rituals of the denomination. Over time I began to theologically question many of my long held beliefs and in 2011 I departed thanks to the help of some people here and on some other sites. I felt liberated and began attending a Methodist church. After attending that church for a while though my questioning and theorizing and learning led me to further conclusions about faith and God and church.

How have I changed since I first joined? I joined as a fundamentalist christian. Now I'm an atheist.
Xeno

Postby tronethiel7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Xeno (post: 1596589) wrote:When I first joined back in 2004 I was a devout Pentecostal. I was thoroughly ingrained in the culture, doctrine, and rituals of the denomination. Over time I began to theologically question many of my long held beliefs and in 2011 I departed thanks to the help of some people here and on some other sites. I felt liberated and began attending a Methodist church. After attending that church for a while though my questioning and theorizing and learning led me to further conclusions about faith and God and church.

How have I changed since I first joined? I joined as a fundamentalist christian. Now I'm an atheist.

Intriguing. Maybe an elaboration?
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Xeno (post: 1596589) wrote:When I first joined back in 2004 I was a devout Pentecostal. I was thoroughly ingrained in the culture, doctrine, and rituals of the denomination. Over time I began to theologically question many of my long held beliefs and in 2011 I departed thanks to the help of some people here and on some other sites. I felt liberated and began attending a Methodist church. After attending that church for a while though my questioning and theorizing and learning led me to further conclusions about faith and God and church.

Coo, coo, ca-chooo, Mrs. Robinson.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby Xeno » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 pm

tronethiel7 (post: 1596593) wrote:Intriguing. Maybe an elaboration?

My leaving the Pentecostal church is well documented on this site. As far as the other part, you're wanting me to elaborate on a Christian site why I believe there is no god? Yeah, because that would be a good idea.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Xeno wrote:you're wanting me to elaborate on a Christian site why I believe there is no god? Yeah, because that would be a good idea.

Do it man, the hell with consequences, throw caution to the wind.

(I'm just kidding don't do that because it's against the rules.)

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:17 pm

No hate here. I'm not trying to start an ordeal. I was just interested. Sorry I wasn't aware it was against the rules. I'm all for healthy conversation though, and I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about it, christian site or not, as long as it can be done cordially. However, if the rule is there I will respect it. Thanks for letting me know.
tronethiel7

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Rules are posted at the top of the Christian Growth Q&A forum. If you wish to continue the discussion outside this thread, you can always send a private message to Xeno or anyone else.

K. Ayato

Next

Return to Christian Growth Q&A