Prayer request for me. I was recently diagnosed with OCD.

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Prayer request for me. I was recently diagnosed with OCD.

Postby firestorm » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you guys can pray for. I was recently diagnosed with OCD and am starting to go to a psychologist that specializes in that. It's been kind of tough for me because I've had it for years but it wasn't until recently that I found out that's what it was. So please pray that God help me through this and help me focus more on him through this and I grow more closer to him through this. Thanks so much for all your prayers!
firestorm

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Re: Prayer request for me. I was recently diagnosed with OCD.

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Praying for you, firestorm. I hope God uses this to do great things with you!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby nillapoet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:45 am

From someone else who knows how horrible OCD actually is, I'm praying for you.
nillapoet

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:08 pm

I'll be praying for you. I'm actually in almost the same boat, as I'm taking steps to get help through what I've apparently had for years (though with me it's PTSD instead of OCD). Please keep us updated and know that we'll have you covered in prayer.
mysngoeshere56

Postby firestorm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Definitely! Infact I just went to the psychologist again on thursday, We're still kind of getting to know each other, but she assured me that she'd be able to help me with my compulsions and anxieties one by one so that's good. Also, I wanted to ask you guy have there been any compulsions you guys do that you like doing? just wondering if any one of you guys have ever had that.
firestorm

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Did she explain to you what kind of treatment modality she'll be using for you?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Awesome that the psychologist you'll be seeing specializes in OCD! I know for myself having a diagnosis has helped tremendously in healing...just being able to read and see I'm not alone...

I'll be praying for you in the future recovery you will be working through and in your daily walk with Christ through it all. Mental illness isn't a death sentence. God bless you on the journey, Fire!
Okami

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:26 pm

firestorm wrote:Definitely! Infact I just went to the psychologist again on thursday, We're still kind of getting to know each other, but she assured me that she'd be able to help me with my compulsions and anxieties one by one so that's good. Also, I wanted to ask you guy have there been any compulsions you guys do that you like doing? just wondering if any one of you guys have ever had that.

I probably have minor OCD, mostly with strange stuff. I get really annoyed when a movie projector is even a little bit off of the screen; I get annoyed when my mom puts the volume on the TV on a number like 34 when she could have put it on 33 (when I use the TV, if I have to change the volume, I put it on a factor of 10 or 11). If there is something that one of my siblings was supposed to do, and I don't if they did it or not, I will obsess over whatever they were supposed to do until I make sure they do it.
Also, I will be praying!
artisticDreamer

Postby firestorm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Did she explain to you what kind of treatment modality she'll be using for you?

Sorry for taking so long. She has me going through cognitive behavioral therapy. Are there others?
firestorm

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 pm

CBT is an evidence-based practice that has been show to have high positive outcomes with things like OCD, anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. I'm generally a proponent for it, especially if the goal is management of thoughts/behaviors. That being said, I'm also very strong supporter to mindfulness approaches such as MBCBT (Mindfulness-Based CBT), ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), or DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). So the CBT model is core beliefs>>immediate thoughts>>automatic thoughts, right? And you challenge and reality-test your thoughts and become insightful with what cognitive distortions you may be doing. And in time you'll train yourself to not have so much anxiety because you didn't triple-check the locks on your front door or something. Mindfulness-based approaches can certainly include the CBT elements, but also has an element of self-acceptance and nonjudgmental awareness of yourself that I think can be really beneficial for clients. Ask your counselor about it and see if it can be something that will be helpful for you.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Prayer Room